SCHILLING RETIRES FROM BASEBALL

I saw the thread as an honor to someone's retirement. I didn't see that a "thought provoking opinion" was needed. Just mentioned I was surprised. That's all.

B-I-N-G-O!!!

Believe me, I have my opinions on Schilling, and I have expressed them here more than a few times. I just didn't think THIS thread was the place to do it.

I saw the thread as an honor to someone's retirement. I didn't see that a "thought provoking opinion" was needed. Just mentioned I was surprised. That's all.

Fair enough. I like I said, I mentioned WAY BACK that he is one of the better BIG GAME pitcher in the league.....espeically in my lifetime. But can you really judge a player JUST ON what he did on the field WITHOUT including what he did OFF the field?

Farewell Curt. Even though you turned down a contract offer from the Indians, I won't hold it against you. Here's to you big boy!

schillinghat.jpg

Alex Speier | The Price Was Right for Curt Schilling: Ace Was an All-Time Bargain

FORT MYERS, Fla. – The announcement of Curt Schilling’s retirement brought into sharp relief the significance of the deal that made the pitcher a Red Sox. A compelling argument can be made that the trade that brought him to Boston from Arizona was the biggest in franchise history since the sale of Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The individuals who collected a pair of World Series rings during Schilling’s four seasons in Boston acknowledge that the deal helped transform franchise history. The pitcher impacted the club on and off the field in ways that proved integral to breaking an 86-year title drought.
“I don’t know,” said catcher Jason Varitek, “if we’re standing where we’re at, having won two world championships, without Curt.”
The payoff was huge. The cost – aside from money – was shockingly minimal. In retrospect, it is absurd to think that the Sox were able to acquire Schilling, a man who served as a crucial contributor to two championships, in exchange for Jorge De La Rosa, Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Michael Goss.
That group has yet to produce a single All-Star season. The development isn’t even surprising, since none was viewed by the baseball community at the time of the deal as an elite prospect.
The names of Hanley Ramirez and Jon Lester surfaced during the negotiations. Yet the Red Sox were able to make one of the biggest acquisitions in franchise history while still holding onto their top prospects. How, exactly did it happen?

The Diamondbacks wanted Hanley Ramirez and Jon Lester, and ended up with Jorge De La Rosa, Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Michael Goss (who dat? :D) ????!!! YIKES!!! :eek:

Fair enough. I like I said, I mentioned WAY BACK that he is one of the better BIG GAME pitcher in the league.....espeically in my lifetime. But can you really judge a player JUST ON what he did on the field WITHOUT including what he did OFF the field?
Just curious: Other than being a loud-mouthed guy who wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind even if it pissed someone off, what did Curt do off the field that was so bad??

MR_CS_7.11.jpg.jpg

Alex Speier | The Price Was Right for Curt Schilling: Ace Was an All-Time Bargain

FORT MYERS, Fla. – The announcement of Curt Schilling’s retirement brought into sharp relief the significance of the deal that made the pitcher a Red Sox. A compelling argument can be made that the trade that brought him to Boston from Arizona was the biggest in franchise history since the sale of Babe Ruth to the Yankees.
The individuals who collected a pair of World Series rings during Schilling’s four seasons in Boston acknowledge that the deal helped transform franchise history. The pitcher impacted the club on and off the field in ways that proved integral to breaking an 86-year title drought.
“I don’t know,” said catcher Jason Varitek, “if we’re standing where we’re at, having won two world championships, without Curt.”
The payoff was huge. The cost – aside from money – was shockingly minimal. In retrospect, it is absurd to think that the Sox were able to acquire Schilling, a man who served as a crucial contributor to two championships, in exchange for Jorge De La Rosa, Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Michael Goss.
That group has yet to produce a single All-Star season. The development isn’t even surprising, since none was viewed by the baseball community at the time of the deal as an elite prospect.
The names of Hanley Ramirez and Jon Lester surfaced during the negotiations. Yet the Red Sox were able to make one of the biggest acquisitions in franchise history while still holding onto their top prospects. How, exactly did it happen?

The Diamondbacks wanted Hanley Ramirez and Jon Lester, and ended up with Jorge De La Rosa, Casey Fossum, Brandon Lyon and Michael Goss (who dat? :D) ????!!! YIKES!!! :eek:

For what Schilling was paid he was a real bargain. Some didn't like that he was paid for his last year but he didn't pitch. Well, That's what happens in baseball. Look at what Arod is making. Is he a bargain in October? If Schilling didn't take the money then other players would have to do the same thing and give back the money . Many players haven't played the full length of the contract they signed but they still got paid. The Red Sox made money from Curt because of the World Series wins and Merchandise sales.

Curt is 100 percent honest. And when you're honest and not PC then you're going to tick some people off. I admire that.

Just curious: Other than being a loud-mouthed guy who wasn't afraid to say what was on his mind even if it pissed someone off, what did Curt do off the field that was so bad??

MR_CS_7.11.jpg.jpg

I didn't say HE in particualr did something bad. I am saying you cannot JUST judge a player on JUST X's and O's.

Tell me, out of curiosity, do you think the exact same thing about Charles Barkley? I mean he TOO is known to be a "loud mouth guy who isn't afraid to say what's on his mind even if it pisses someone off..."

I have some personal reasons behind my comments. Like I said, I knew him when he was a minor leaguer in Rochester...then in his years in the Bigs and through my contact....I had heard inside stories that fe would know that demostrated that he had not changed...

I didn't say HE in particualr did something bad. I am saying you cannot JUST judge a player on JUST X's and O's.

Tell me, out of curiosity, do you think the exact same thing about Charles Barkley? I mean he TOO is known to be a "loud mouth guy who isn't afraid to say what's on his mind even if it pisses someone off..."

I have some personal reasons behind my comments. Like I said, I knew him when he was a minor leaguer in Rochester...then in his years in the Bigs and through my contact....I had heard inside stories that fe would know that demostrated that he had not changed...

Unless he was involved in a felony, I don't care about players off the field , court, ice, etc. I know a lot jerks, I don't hang around with them. Being a jerk has nothing to do with their performance on the field, which is the only thing that really matters to me. I met Kirk Gibson at a party, he was a major league a$$hole. (Pun intended). So what? I went saw him play 2 days later, the guy was a great player here in Detroit.

Sounds a lot like name dropping, Salsa. "I met so and so, and what's his name, etc.... and he was/wasn't a jag off, etc....."

Unless he was involved in a felony, I don't care about players off the field , court, ice, etc. I know a lot jerks, I don't hang around with them. Being a jerk has nothing to do with their performance on the field, which is the only thing that really matters to me. I met Kirk Gibson at a party, he was a major league a$$hole. (Pun intended). So what? I went saw him play 2 days later, the guy was a great player here in Detroit.
Werd

Sounds a lot like name dropping, Salsa. "I met so and so, and what's his name, etc.... and he was/wasn't a jag off, etc....."

If you are talking about the HOF....yeah, if are talking about personal opinon about someone...I use both.

....I only drop names of people I have either dealt with personally or professionally....most of them professionally....hell, just about all of them. I just happen to know Schilling because he dated my sisters's best friend in Rochester when he played for the Red Wings and we frequented(is that an actual word? LOL ) alot of the same places he and her went to.

I have been VERY, VERY fortunate to be at the right place and the right time when I have met some of the people I have met. And the wrong place at the wrong time for ever breathing some of the air these arrogant stuck-ups were breathing.

If you are talking about the HOF....yeah, if are talking about personal opinon about someone...I use both.

....I only drop names of people I have either dealt with personally or professionally....most of them professionally....hell, just about all of them. I just happen to know Schilling because he dated my sisters's best friend in Rochester when he played for the Red Wings and we frequented(is that an actual word? LOL ) alot of the same places he and her went to.

I have been VERY, VERY fortunate to be at the right place and the right time when I have met some of the people I have met. And the wrong place at the wrong time for ever breathing some of the air these arrogant stuck-ups were breathing.

I hate when that happens!;)

You have to go back that far to find something on him? He's not like that now . I didn't witness any of that when I was around him for about an hour. No Media around either. That was just a few years ago. I don't get this hate for Curt. Sure , he speaks the truth but so what. I will take him over a fake Arod any day of the week. His family is well liked in his home town.

Shilling dated a guy who played hockey for the Red Wings? :eek:

Shilling dated a guy who played hockey for the Red Wings? :eek:

Wait a minute. I didn't catch that before . Schilling was dating a man?

If I can find the video in my archives of my day with Curt I will let everyone see it on youtube. I don't know if I have it in my Florida home or not. It might be up north.

You alleged he was a steroid user and I feel I provided incontrovertible evidence that his physique was obtained by other means. :D

Seriously, if your criteria as to whether you respect an athlete or not is that they are "arrogant stuck-ups", and that overrides their playing career, there can't be many athletes out there that you do respect...

Professional baseball in south Florida last chance...

George Kell Passes away

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)