Scott's DirecTV Diary Comments

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scotts been quiet since his last post. Wonder what's happening???

Last edited:
Scott - You should be getting NBC hd on channel 82 since WVIT is O&O.

after the problems he is having with directv i know i have made the right decision to keep dish network and not go with directv..........

Scott - You should be getting NBC hd on channel 82 since WVIT is O&O.

Should n't the NY (80's) channels be on only if he lives in the correct zip codes, regardless of being a O&O ?

As for the HBO and Shotime in HD (channels 70 and 71) As long as your HD has been authorized and you have those two as part of your sub, they should be there.

Jimbo

after the problems he is having with directv i know i have made the right decision to keep dish network and not go with directv..........

Why ?????

It's brand new to him, give him some time to get use to it, he's only had the HR20-700 hooked up for like 10 minutes now.

Jimbo

If D* is providing local HD channels at Scott location then he can't get the NYC O&O feeds anymore, D* changed that rule. Even if you had them and then D* turned up your market some folks have reported that D* was starting to shut those feeds off of they carried all four networks.

Scotts diary says he dealer activated his account, wonder if any of these problems were cuased by that being done vs. Scott calling in himself and verifying with D* at that time that all STB's were receiving programming correctly?

Scott you are in Hartford County which is not eligible for NBC HD in the 80's (New York Feed) because you have the capability to get NBC in Springfield MA. They are blocking the automatic waiver even though NBC WVIT is O&O. I tried in the past. My friend in Ledyard CT gets it as he is too far from Springfield MA.

I recall seeing on one of the dbstalk threads that someone had gotten it close and then used the receivers signal strength display on 99 or 103 to get the peak.

I was one of those that did it that way. The crackhead installer didn't even bother to try to peak the signal on 99 and 103 when he installed my slimline. Granted there were no spots aimed toward me then, but once they turned on the New Orleans locals I had mid 40's signal strength on the 103.

So after talking to some of the more experienced fellas on DBSTALK, I got the slimline instructions from solidsignal.com and had at it. I had to drag a 27 inch CRT out to the dish with my HR20 becuase the HR20 doesn't have an RF output, and my little 13 inch tv doesn't have anything else.

I found that, for me at least, if I followed the directions exactly as written it worked fine. I tried the first time to shortcut fine tuning the AZ and it didn't work. You have to be cool and calm moving the dish a little at a time, because it takes the HR20 time to reflect signal strength. So once I noticed that it was cake. Easier than my FTA dishes for damned sure.:D

Now I have 89-95 on my 103 local TP's.

I am holding out for the new satellites to see what happens with the HD. If D* keeps bit starving and down rezzing the HD, I'd rather not pay for it. I've been with D* since 1996 and the current boondoggle with the HR20/HDLite is pushing me to the breaking point. Only thing (other than the satellite issue) keeping me is that I read here that E* isn't much better and cable here is a JOKE.

Fantastic work Scott, most of us that already have D* are familiar with the things you have experienced so far, but its going to be an eye opener for some for sure. Thanks!

Scott the last H20 I installed also had problems getting 70 & 71. I ended up going to CSR then tech support then advanced tech support who discovered it wasn't turned on. Advanced tech had to call another dept. to get it turned on. It seems D* has been playing too much with their authorization computers in the last 2-3 weeks. Make that phone call don't wait for it to come on.

I'm really looking forward to the side by side comparison. But please take your time and compare several channels before you report. I have E* and have not persaonlly used D* devices so I'm finding the review very interesting so far. Thanks Scott.

Scott, you said you subscribe only to the Plus HD package. That is why you aren't getting HBO HD or Showtime HD. You need to sub to HBO or Showtime packages to get those.

HD access fee with DirecTV simply gets you HD versions of channels based on your pacakge. Thus if you sub to HBO, you'll get HBO HD. When they add the 5 Starz HD channels you'll get them if you sub to Starz. When they add the Discovery Science channel in HD, if Discovery Science is included in your base package then you'll get the HD version.

Make sense?

If D* is providing local HD channels at Scott location then he can't get the NYC O&O feeds anymore, D* changed that rule. Even if you had them and then D* turned up your market some folks have reported that D* was starting to shut those feeds off of they carried all four networks.

Correct. D* is following the law here. If locals are available to you then they have to shut down the national feeds.

Scotts diary says he dealer activated his account, wonder if any of these problems were cuased by that being done vs. Scott calling in himself and verifying with D* at that time that all STB's were receiving programming correctly?

Most likely yes. I would have suggested that Scott did the activation himself so he could verify everything on the first call.

Scott you are in Hartford County which is not eligible for NBC HD in the 80's (New York Feed) because you have the capability to get NBC in Springfield MA. They are blocking the automatic waiver even though NBC WVIT is O&O. I tried in the past. My friend in Ledyard CT gets it as he is too far from Springfield MA.

I didn't think that had anything to do with it. He is in the Hartford dma, that should be all that matters.

Scott, you said you subscribe only to the Plus HD package. That is why you aren't getting HBO HD or Showtime HD. You need to sub to HBO or Showtime packages to get those.
The package also comes with 3 months free HBO, Showtime and Cinemax (but not Starz) The SD version of these channels are coming in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts