Searching for Sat Error Code: 771 on certain channels with the HR-20

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The technician came and left. He did not find any problems with the lines or the dish. So he blamed it on the HR20 which according to his experience has had a high failure rate. He had me call level 2 support to request a replacement receiver. The replacement DVR should be here by Tue.

Been there done that 3 times. I believe, among other things, that this device has major issues with MPEG-4 compression (programming code related to MPEG-4 compression). The more I think about it the more I believe this is the primary issue, IMHO.

The Senior Tech came out to my house, I told him it may be LNB related after explaining the issues. I called Directv, they switched me to the Protection Plan Rep, I informed him, after an explanation, that I would need new LNB's, which they are shipping to my home. I think I'm going to wait for the next firmware update before installing the LNBs.

BTW, the Directv rep said he would ship the LNBs for ($19.95 S&H), I said that's why I have the protection plan and I shouldn't have to pay anything. Case closed.

Thanks for the update vlj9r, hopefully the new receiver replacement will work for you. Keep us posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

New Software Update Dc

I have the new firmware installed, I rebooted (reset door) twice, once for kicks, and once due to freeze, the HR-20 seems a bit more stable now. I still receive the searching for Satellite signal, but with much less frequency. I requested a new LNB pack from Directv, to see if this solves that particular problem. I have a work around, but I wish to eliminate this issue completely. I also received pixelation on HBO HD channels today, but not on Showtime HD.

My caller ID still works well. I actually have a PBX, and I have a bypass run (before it reaches the PBX box)., just for the HR-20, to ensure proper functionality.

I am still contemplating switching to Verizon TV, but I will try to exhibit a little patience, since I own 3/4 ths of my Directv equipment, and it would certainly present a learning curve, to introduce a new system in the household.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Last edited:
It seems this issue is still related to the software upgrades. I am still awaiting the new LNBs, but I have read elsewhere, that someone has tried the LNB replacement without any prolonged success. I will keep you posted.

On a separate note, after telling my brother-in-law about Verizon FIOS (Internet) and how sweet it is, he is also dumping Cox Cable and getting Verizon TV with the Multiple DVR. I for one certainly can't wait to see it. I digress.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Update:

I decided to reset everything (formats hardrive), just to see if that helps. So far so good, no more searching for sat signal (keeping my fingers and toes crossed). I guess it is like receiving a Microsoft update, you need to reboot for the updates to take affect. I will keep you posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

OK, I have run the system through testing, and I am still receiving the SAT signal error. I certainly hope that this issue is resolved, with the next firmware update.

BTW, I have a H20-600 and that works fine.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I've had the problem a few times on one of my two HR20s. The other one has never had the problem. It started after the latest update, never before.

I tried uplugging all receivers for 15 mins to reset the switch/lnbs and the problem has not resurfaced yet.... I was pissed as it missed 3 recordings with this error problem, the recordings just didn't happen or if recording when the error came up it deleted and cancelled them.

Try it, I'm not sure if that is the problem, but my box is working 2 days now.

I got the error for the first time on my HR-20 last night, but I did not check to see what channel I was on. Funny thing is, I was watching a show uninterupted video & sound, but the error flashed on the screen even during perfect playback.

Must have been the other tuner?

Right now, I just bypass the error by simply changing to Channel 70 and jump back to the previous channel. Everything seems to be magically repaired, including pixelation (if any). Hopefully, a firmware update is on tap for next Wednesday, which will address this and other issues. Again, I await patiently.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

OK here is the latest update to the saga:

I spoke with DTV, again about this issue, I informed them of the trouble-shooting performed by myself and the technician (another story for another day). We had both came to the conclusion, that the LNBs were probably bad. However, DTV stated that they cannot sent an LNB kit (but they did already, just sent the wrong one, anyway). They will have to install a new dish, OK, whatever it takes.

I'm out of town this week (going to the World Series, Go Cards) my appointment is scheduled for October 31st (Halloween). Is this an Omen, Naaaay.

BTW, I tried removing the BBC connectors to eliminate this error, with no success, but I will try again, based on the new firmware upgrade.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

We had both came to the conclusion, that the LNBs were probably bad.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome.
My installer convinced me at first I had a bad LNB --- then I decided to check further first.

I had the same problem for 5 minutes after the initial install -- two things to try - if you got the latest firmware update this week...try a red button reset.

Also, something installers frequently miss - check out your dish, the connectors, and the screws holding in the LNBs - 1 of my LNBs was loose after the installer supposedly "tightened everything down". One of the connector ends was also loose. Tightened it too.

After tightening down those 2 things, no problems at all since.

Thanks for you input Satmeister.

I did tighten all of the cabling/connectors coming from the Dish, but I didn't check the LNB, I will check that tomorrow. However, I am still wondering in my heart of hearts, whether this issue is s/w related.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Well, I'm now having this issue on both my HR20s, with no issue on an H20. I verified the H20 when the HR20 lost signal. Also, I've seen one HR20 work, while the other didn't, and vice versa.

These three receivers worked without this problem two weeks + before the latest software update.

I AM 100% CONVINCED THIS IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM. I've tried removing the B band converters too, with no change. If three receivers all work, and the problem creeps up on MPEG4 only channels then can go away in 10 seconds or 10 minutes sometimes, while all other receivers work fine, give me a break....It's bad software.

Searching for SAT issue resolved for now

Here is the lastest update, which has been placed in other related post/forums as well:

OK, so here's my story:

After three tech visits, I came to the conclusion that this was either a HR-20 s/w issue, or a LNB issue. I called DTV and requested a 5LNB replacement, that said we must replace the whole dish, I said OK fine. Tech came yesterday, on time, and said he is only suppose to check and trouble-shoot, I said I mad a request to have the Dish replaced. He provided a million reasons why the Dish replacement will not correct the problem. I said, look call your supervisor, and I will call Directv, once he contacted his supervisor, he supervisor said give the customer whatever he request, finally. I said look my Dish is fine (stable through 50 mile/hr winds), I didn't feel confident with him replacing the whole dish, so I said just replace the 5 LNBs. The LNBs were replaced I recycled the box including setting up the SAT again, voila, no more Searching for SAT Signal 771, and he said it wouldn't work :) .

I know that there are many variables to consider when trying to resolve this problem, but this certainly seems to be the solution for me, at least for now. Hopefully, the next s/w download will not change anything :rolleyes: . Your mileage of course may vary.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Well, I'm now having this issue on both my HR20s, with no issue on an H20. I verified the H20 when the HR20 lost signal. Also, I've seen one HR20 work, while the other didn't, and vice versa.

These three receivers worked without this problem two weeks + before the latest software update.

I AM 100% CONVINCED THIS IS A SOFTWARE PROBLEM. I've tried removing the B band converters too, with no change. If three receivers all work, and the problem creeps up on MPEG4 only channels then can go away in 10 seconds or 10 minutes sometimes, while all other receivers work fine, give me a break....It's bad software.

I agree, this NEVER happened with my H20, only HR20, and only after the update.

Update: Not quite solved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the readers digest version:

Well, the Sat issue has returned, after one day. I called tech support, she went through the usual scripts including research, (I was being patient for 2 hours), then I spoke with a supervisor.

They are shipping a new HR-20, I spoke with the supervisor and stated isn't there a current backlog, he said that the HR-20s are trickling in. This is my fourth, hopefully it's the charm. I will post my results upon installation, status pending.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Hi Azeke,
Could you let us know what happened with your HR20 please? I'm a new HR20 owner as of last week, and I'm getting the same Searching for satellite messages. I have to double check my cables and probably install a 5x8 multiswitch since the DVR line 2 will be my 5th "receiver". However, I am very anxious to hear whether all of your HR20 problems were resolved?

My Problem With CNBCHD- HD channel 355 It Says 771.searching for signal

I also get 771 on channel 355..CNBCHD..I own a H20 receiver.
Directv said they think the satelite dish is'nt facing in the right direction and the will send someone over to point it in the right direction.I'm getting all the new HD channel's except for this one.
It makes me wonder if it's a bad tuner on my receiver from reading your posts.
They seem all confused over at Directv .One hand does'nt know what the other hand is doing.One DTV tech told me she talked to her supervisor and he told her it was a KNOWN ISSUE and that they are still working on that channel..it's not completely working for some customer's.
I called the next day and asked someone else at Directv for an update about my channel..and they put me on hold for 30 minutes and came back and said there are no reports about this channel having problem's. I asked them if they had any notes about my call with the lady tech from last night and they said yes..all it says is that she talked to her supervisor,but it does'nt say what they talked about.
It makes me wonder if I'm missing other channels..I don't subscribe to the sports package..I DO subscribe to the premium package and the HD pacjkage.
I get searching for 771 signal on most of the sports channel's.

Do you have any diplexors in the line? They
will not allow some channel freq. to come in
if the diplexor for OTA is installed.

I also get 771 on channel 355..CNBCHD..I own a H20 receiver.
It makes me wonder if I'm missing other channels..I don't subscribe to the sports package..I DO subscribe to the premium package and the HD pacjkage.
I get searching for 771 signal on most of the sports channel's.

I'm in the exact same boat. :( Not that CNBCHD is must see tv for me, but it makes me wonder about my ability to receive subsequently released channels. In the setup section it seems to also fail at finding 99a (which some feel is not yet available) or just bypasses it altogether.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)