Second dish on non-penetrating mount idea?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
I've had a lot of problems getting 87 reliably with an offset LNB, because the dish is focused on 103. I get 103, 97 and 91 reliably. I got an idea this afternoon to mount a second dish on the other side of the non-penetrating mount. It has an opening for a 1 5/8" pole.

According to the SES website and Lyngsat, I should be able to get 87 with anything larger than a 50cm dish. So I'm looking at a 60cm dish. In fact, I may have access to an unused Dish Network 1000.2 which is 66cm wide. Anybody think this will work?

87 95 103.JPG

What are you trying to receive? 50cm might be the minimum size required, but as you go from DVB-S to DVB-S2, from generous error correction to something less forgiving, and to narrower signals, you need a bigger and bigger dish.

By all means try, its what makes this all fun and you have the equipment. But you might not get everything on 87W. From memory, I think the CNN mux is a strong one.

What are you trying to receive? 50cm might be the minimum size required, but as you go from DVB-S to DVB-S2, from generous error correction to something less forgiving, and to narrower signals, you need a bigger and bigger dish.

By all means try, its what makes this all fun and you have the equipment. But you might not get everything on 87W. From memory, I think the CNN mux is a strong one.

Yes, getting CNN feeds reliably is my goal. LPBS would be nice too, but it's weak as it is.

I should be able to get 87 with anything larger than a 50cm dish
I would at the very least take anything you read from Lyngsat and multiply it by 1.5. What you get from Lyngsat is with the transponder running at full power and QSPK.
Link budgets dictate power, and 99% of the time, power is not a full bore. Plus, everything now is going to DVB-S2 and 8APSK and 16APSK.

I would at the very least take anything you read from Lyngsat and multiply it by 1.5. What you get from Lyngsat is with the transponder running at full power and QSPK.
Link budgets dictate power, and 99% of the time, power is not a full bore. Plus, everything now is going to DVB-S2 and 8APSK and 16APSK.

So I'm still probably better off with the offset LNB on 87 using the 90cm dish?

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a USALS Motor?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I thought about that, but with half the arc outside LOS on my 90cm dish, I thought it would be better to pinpoint which satellites I watch most and try to lock those down. Plus I have trouble getting my mast and cinder blocks perfectly level :(

Reactions: Phalaenopsis
I personally couldn’t get LPB on a Dish Network 1000.2 I got CNN with 49%Q though, which means I’m barely receiving it. I think a 76cm Wineguard would get you everything on 87w, considering your location. I get CNN=76%Q LPB=58%Q on My Amiko RE up here in southeastern Michigan. It’s only $55 on eBay with free shipping. I find it to be a very high quality dish.

Winegard 30 Inch Diameter Universal Satellite Dish Antenna (DS-2076) 615798308780 | eBay

Reactions: comfortably_numb
That’s Cband though right? I don’t see a listing for it on Ku
It is Ku, but 118.9w is a one of a kind Ku sat. It uses circular polarity, but at a freq of 11.7 to 12.2GHz.
A standard ku lnb with a di-electric slab at 45 degrees to the probe will work on this bird if you don't want to buy the special 118.9w Ku lnbf. If you use a universal lnbf with a dielectric slab you will get both 118.9w and 119w. Not much in the open on119w but barker channels though.

Sent from my LG-M153 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I personally couldn’t get LPB on a Dish Network 1000.2 I got CNN with 49%Q though, which means I’m barely receiving it. I think a 76cm Wineguard would get you everything on 87w, considering your location. I get CNN=76%Q LPB=58%Q on My Amiko RE up here in southeastern Michigan. It’s only $55 on eBay with free shipping. I find it to be a very high quality dish.

Winegard 30 Inch Diameter Universal Satellite Dish Antenna (DS-2076) 615798308780 | eBay

Thanks for the tip. That's a good deal.

I'm going to skip the 1000.2 experiment. Might as well do it the right way with a 76cm dish.

Well I had some time today so I decided to go ahead and try to see if I could get 87 on the old Dish 1000.2

It took some time to tear the dish apart and retrofit a Maverick PLL LNB to it, but I finally got it ready and took it outside.

Getting 60% signal quality on the CNN mux and about 70% on the Florida Channel.

Not too bad for an old dish that wasn't being used for anything :)

Not sure the wooden mount is permanent. Not too much rain or snow can get to it, but I'd be concerned about it rotting.

IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0042.JPG

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts