Sending the ASC1 into retirement?AJAK

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hello

install an additional capacitor of approximately 470 nF to the motor terminals. Still glitches in the ACS 1 also takes the motor feeder. With this installation the motor runs on excessive the selected Satpositionen 100%.

Ponny

Attachments

• kondensator.jpg
    kondensator.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 188
Ponny,

In my C-band service experience, the capacitor solutions (0.1µF) only would work if installed out at the dish motor. Never had any luck installing the capacitor at the IRD. Likely this is due to the suppression the noise before traveling the length of the control wires.

Great circuit. I am ordering some parts to build a unit to test on optical sensors. Thank you for sharing!

Hallo

Kondensator ist direkt am Motor und einen zweiten zu der ACS 1. Es ist sehr stabil.

Ponny

Update: I tried a couple of things. I pulled the motor armature and cleaned the commutator. I noticed the brushes were not cut straight and were barely worn in. Very low surface contact with the commutator. I dressed the brushes and now they make full contact straight on. I tried twisting the power wires and moving the .1uF closer to the motor. This was actually noisier than before. Very noticeable during Ramp up and Ramp down, start and stop. I pulled the motor again and installed the three capacitor noise filter method. The caps are about three inches from where the motor wires go into the housing. So far it appears to be working. The scope pictures are very clean compared to the others.

3caps 002.JPG 3caps 006.JPG 3caps 014.JPG 3caps 020.JPG 3caps 026.JPG

Reactions: Titanium and pdiddy
Update: I tried a couple of things. I pulled the motor armature and cleaned the commutator. I noticed the brushes were not cut straight and were barely worn in. Very low surface contact with the commutator. I dressed the brushes and now they make full contact straight on. I tried twisting the power wires and moving the .1uF closer to the motor. This was actually noisier than before. Very noticeable during Ramp up and Ramp down, start and stop. I pulled the motor again and installed the three capacitor noise filter method. The caps are about three inches from where the motor wires go into the housing. So far it appears to be working. The scope pictures are very clean compared to the others.

View attachment 99142 View attachment 99143 View attachment 99144 View attachment 99145 View attachment 99146

:( Nope that wasn't the fix, but might be part of a solution. Ponny's relay is next.

Reactions: pdiddy and Titanium
Since I'm using this relay strictly for noise suppression I configured it this way. Soon to see some scope pictures I hope.
relay 003.JPG relay 002.JPG relay 007.JPG relay 012.JPG
Both sensor wires connect to the terminal block on the reed relay board. I brought the ground to the second pin on the terminal block.

Reactions: Titanium
So very close to solving the riddle of the AJAK and the ASC1, but the relay is not 100%. More research needed.

Hello

for me, it works. What problems occur with you?

Ponny
Same as always, Extra counts. The move falls short of the desired position.
Are you using an AJAK?

I have another system on an AJAK. I will perform the mods on it and test its operation. The one I have been working with is the worst of the three AJAKs I'm trying to get working. I have built a couple more reed relays and some triple capacitor filters.

Hello

I use 2 separate lines. Once for the impulses and once for the motor. Maybe that's the clock thing.

Ponny

Hello

I use 2 separate lines. Once for the impulses and once for the motor. Maybe that's the clock thing.

Ponny
That's how I run my system,sensor wires in one cable,power wires in another,but still the asc1 keeps adding counts.I"m beliving now it's not the cable or grounding,it's the asc1,something is amis,I would bet my bottom dollar it's an internal problem in the unit it's self.

I would try testing with the ASC1 outdoors near the dish along with a small TV and your receiver using a shorter fresh cable connected directly to the AJAK in order to rule out cabling issues. Old ribbon cable tends to oxidize over the years so this may be causing intermittent sensor pulse readings.

I would bet my bottom dollar it's an internal problem in the unit it's self.

That makes a lot of sense.... To the other 500+ users who are not reporting an issue... :D

There is something unique to your system or we would all be experiencing this issue. Maybe something with the AJAK design or ???? Ponny reports his adapter device cleaned up the noise on his system, so maybe Magic Static will test his build on yours? This tells me that something in the motor is generating a ton of noise.

Last edited:
I would try testing with the ASC1 outdoors near the dish along with a small TV and your receiver using a shorter fresh cable connected directly to the AJAK in order to rule out cabling issues. Old ribbon cable tends to oxidize over the years so this may be causing intermittent sensor pulse readings.
I'm with you in thought,I"m using all new cable,I set a table up at the dish used ten feet of cable,from the dish to the asc1 and geo sat pro, same thing.Tried everything possible.You try to eliminate everything you think might be causing the problem,and one by one you start crossing off things off your list,and it starts to point to one source,the unit itself.

Update: I spoke with Magic Static, who is the "official tech" working on pdiddy's system, and the mods that have been discussed in this thread have not yet been tried on pdiddy's AJAK/ASC1. Please let us know if these mods are applied and if there are any changes.

I appreciate the suggestions made so far in this thread and would like figure out a solution for pdiddy's customized AJAK to make him a happy camper! :clapping

I think T-racer,retired his asc1,they didn"t play nice with his system either,as far as I know.And he does not have an ajak system.I"m wondering if maybe a few asc1's came from the factory with problems and some did not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)