SES2 AMC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think it's a done deal~!

I'm getting PBJ like nobody's business! Stuff that was weak before is rockin!!

So far, so good! WOO HOO!!!

The switch is "supposed" to happen at 2am this morning.

Maybe it already has, I didn't notice any difference earlier, I will look again when the wife falls asleep, she is watching something on Pixl right now.

Last edited:
I just went out in the cold to move my dish off of 91w and so far all I see is NASA. Yes Dee I saw SNOW coming down at my Moms this afternoon : (

Maybe it already has, I didn't notice any difference earlier, I will look again when the wife falls asleep, she is watching something on Pixl right now.
Well, of course I have absolutely no way to really know what's going on up there. I was assuming it was done because I have ~always~ had a hard time with the S2 stuff on 87. 98% of the time I can not get any of the RTV S2 stuff. I was watching the Twilight Zone :) and about 10 minutes in the picture dropped out for a second then it went out a few more times over the next 30 minutes or so. So I saw this thread and popped over to PBJ and bingo! Coming in great! I checked all the channels on 87 and everything is working great now. So....... I am simply assuming.. Hopeful/wishful thinking... :)
I just went out in the cold to move my dish off of 91w and so far all I see is NASA. Yes Dee I saw SNOW coming down at my Moms this afternoon : (
Snow? I saw some once. It snowed here about 5 years ago. Like 2 inches worth and it was gone the next day. My dogs tripped out. The female loved it, the male was a sissy about it and stayed on the porch, he wanted no parts of it. :smow:

And people here? People really tripped out big times. Lots of wrecks, no one knows how to drive in it and they shut down all the schools and businesses because people thought the apocalypse was upon us! LOL!!! :D

I wish it would just freakin cool off and the mosquitoes would DIE!!!!

Go look at the new footprint at ses.com and you will see your area is just on the edge of the strongest signal. You went from about 40 dBW to 42/43 dBW :cool:

Go look at the new footprint at ses.com and you will see your area is just on the edge of the strongest signal. You went from about 40 dBW to 42/43 dBW :cool:
I looked at the footprint maps and this is what I found.I'm in SE Texas, right on the Gulf of Mexico and right next door to Louisiana. I put yellow dots to show my approximate location.These maps show numbers that I'm not real clear on the exact meaning of, like that dbw is for example. I assume that is how strong the signal is, higher number is better, right? So going by the maps on the SES site, there is a very substantial improvement for my area.AMC-3 on the left, SES-2 on the right. :D

Attachments

• amc3-ses2.jpg
    amc3-ses2.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 253
WOW!!!!! Well just had to stay up till 2am and well right at 2 it was like the satellite died(yes I know suppose to be like that, my dramatic affect:D) any way I was ready so I started flipping transponders and nothing no where. Then everything lit back up, but sadly only a couple of transponders were maybe a little stronger. Still no signal at all on 4080. So I was like on well so much for RTV on 87W. So I went to bed. Just woke up for that nightly run to the bathroom and I had to make a detour and check. Sure enough BAM!! all kinds of new channels for me to watch!!!!! Scott I hope you are getting the same results!!!!

Does anyone know, has SES 3 ever replaced AMC 1 at 103W?

Not heard anything yet. And if it has I haven't noted any great improvements on that bird.

I checked my signals on the former AMC3 this morning. That thing is HOT, I have 96% quality on the RTV DVB S2 muxes. I had about 72-74% before. I hope that they turn on SES 3 at 103W before long. If it is already on, I sure can't tell the difference.

On 103W, I've heard nothing to indicate that the new satellite is even in place yet, let alone in use, but for some reason yesterday I was getting watchable signal on 3 of the 4 NBC S2 transponders without changing the skew on my motorized dish. Before, 1 was borderline and the other 3 might as well have not even been there. (The 4th one, the one with Universal Sports, still is like that.) I'm sure that they didn't sneak the new satellite in because the stronger non-S2 transponders are still showing up as both horizontal and vertical on a blind scan, which they wouldn't be doing if the skew was normal.

I looked at the footprint maps and this is what I found.I'm in SE Texas, right on the Gulf of Mexico and right next door to Louisiana. I put yellow dots to show my approximate location.These maps show numbers that I'm not real clear on the exact meaning of, like that dbw is for example. I assume that is how strong the signal is, higher number is better, right? So going by the maps on the SES site, there is a very substantial improvement for my area.AMC-3 on the left, SES-2 on the right. :D

The blue maps are Ku band and the pink/purple ones are C band. Even the Ku side is really hot in the eastern US.
Yes the dBW number on the maps indicates signal strength and higher is better. If you believe Lyngsat maps, at 43 dBW they say C band will come in on a 3 foot dish. :coffee :eek:

Here are the C band maps for comparison.

amc-3_north_america_c_band_beam_M.jpgses-2_north_america_c_band_beam_M.jpg

The switchover was supposed to take place one mux at a time, from what I understand. The RTV mux was scheduled for 3:15AM.

- Trip

The blue maps are Ku band and the pink/purple ones are C band. Even the Ku side is really hot in the eastern US.
Yes the dBW number on the maps indicates signal strength and higher is better. If you believe Lyngsat maps, at 43 dBW they say C band will come in on a 3 foot dish. :coffee :eek:

Here are the C band maps for comparison.

View attachment 70737View attachment 70736

Oh I see.. I went back to the SES website, this time with a cup of coffee.
Somehow I picked up the map for the ku before. Wishful thinking I guess. :eek:
It's not a huge increase but I'll take anything they've got for me. ;)

I'm just thrilled that things are stronger now and 4080 is rockin on, at long last!

:D

Sure enough BAM!! all kinds of new channels for me to watch!!!!! Scott I hope you are getting the same results!!!!
Man I can't wait to get home now! :D :D

I wish I could control my Manhattan with my Slingbox! I would be trying to get it now!

Yes very curious as to what it does for you, Scott.;)

so I wheeled the 6 foot dish out and aimed at 87W...locked Nasa
Had to tweak the LNB but picked up the 4080 mux rather easily

but here is my take on it...and its just MY take on it

so yeah it scans in 36 channels...but as I scroll through them I got more and more disappointed
the first 20 or so were either the same show (the RTV East feed) or "this channel available"
Saw a few of the FGOE channel (the knife show)
PBJ
MyFamily TV (looked like an affiliate)

and some of those first 20 were duplicated at least on the callsign

so this was the excitement of the new satellite launching? I guess if you cant see 137W excitement might happen. But I can get the exact same feed (the national feed) on 137W in DVB or if I wanted to get it in S2 I'd have both coasts (E & W). So other than maybe commercials its the same feed.

Does it make it better if there is one feed or 20 showing the same thing? ;)

I guess I have tweak it more because MeTV showed lower quality wise and I couldnt even lock ThisTV. The other RTV mux is no where to be found

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)