SES2 AMC3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yeah I've go to bump my dish east or west a click or two depending on what I want to watch on that bird.

well today I learned something.....at least on my 6 footer

If I try to peak the dish on the 4080 mux alot of other signals are crap. I happened to have my old Pansat out there (working on something else) and I logged ThisTV, MeTV and ZNS-TV (the Bahamas government) all at a 65-75 quality on the Pansat which is good (30 is threshold)

Brought the Manhattan out and logged all the "normal" stuff (NASA, @Sports, This, Me, ZNS, Nasa Limo etc) and got the 4080 TP at a 65-70 bouncy. Worked fine
Fine tuned to get 4080 at a 74 and This & Me went pfffft...too low to view without heavy pixeling

something to think about....

Same exact thing here.

I think I know what to do, at least on mine. I have a G-box to move my 10' dish. I think I can create a satellite profile for a faux position.
(I haven't done this yet, I'm working it out in my brain first before i try it so this is just hypothetical.)

That satellite could be at say, 88w and it only has one transponder, 4080 and it's stored position can be #8. I can call it SES-2b
The satellite for 87 does not have a transponder for 4080 but has all the other transponders. It's stored position is #7.

So when I go to view MeTV, This, etc. the tuner moves the dish to position #7 which is tweaked for those channels.
And when I want to view PBJ or RTV stuff on 4080, it moves it to position #8 which is just a twitch off to the side and tweaked for PBJ.

In my brain it makes sense, at least to me though I haven't tried it yet. But I ~think~ it should work. Wouldn't it?

:)

Same exact thing here.

I think I know what to do, at least on mine. I have a G-box to move my 10' dish. I think I can create a satellite profile for a faux position.
(I haven't done this yet, I'm working it out in my brain first before i try it so this is just hypothetical.)

That satellite could be at say, 88w and it only has one transponder, 4080 and it's stored position can be #8. I can call it SES-2b
The satellite for 87 does not have a transponder for 4080 but has all the other transponders. It's stored position is #7.

So when I go to view MeTV, This, etc. the tuner moves the dish to position #7 which is tweaked for those channels.
And when I want to view PBJ or RTV stuff on 4080, it moves it to position #8 which is just a twitch off to the side and tweaked for PBJ.

In my brain it makes sense, at least to me though I haven't tried it yet. But I ~think~ it should work. Wouldn't it?

:)

I did that last year. North Dakota sports feeds use the same satellite/transponder each game. But last year it seemed like instead of being aimed at 91W you almost needed to be a 92W. It was just that transponder. So I made a new sat in the Coolsat...named it "Sioux" and honed in only on that transponder. Worked just fine

You wouldnt need to name it SES2B....just name it "RTV" :)

Tony, it reminds me of a couple years ago, when you mentioned that STO HD was about 15 deg off skew compared to STO SD . At the time I couldn't get the HD channel at all on my 4 footer. Sure enough, I tweaked the lnbf and STO HD came in fine, but STO SD was lowered dramatically . Ever since then I've known that I might have to tweak the lnbf if I want to maximize a particular signal, on ANY bird. It's odd all right, but it's a FACT. :)
yep I remember that...

Thanks for your help over these 5+ years I've been here.
glad to be of help

I still keep my C-band on 91w but now that I get the PBS feeds on AMC3/SES2 ku I find myself leaving 101w. I need more dishes or a motor : )

I did make up a faux satellite for SES2 4080. Now when I change channels between MeTV/This/Weathernation/etc and PBJ/RTV, the PC instructs the G-box to readjust the dish for optimal signal. :D

edit: Oh and get this! The difference between the optimal position for those transponders? TEN! Ten, um, digits in the G-box display.
I don't know if those are degrees or what but for instance, if it's reading 0000 and it's tweaked on MeTV/This, PBJ/RTV does not come in. So I have to move the dish until the G-box reads 0010 before PBJ/RTV on 4080 will come in strong. That's a pretty large movement when I watch the dish move through the window!

Maybe they still have the old AMC 3 up there, just sitting off to the side of SES 2? :confused:

I can see where this would be a huge pain for people with smaller dishes and/or dishes without motors! Ugh! :rant:

Last edited:
that explains some things to me. i had tuned the dish to 4080 on 87w and then go to another satellite and then come back and metv and others were not there and i had to move the gbox position again. i thought it was a problem with the gbox or the actuator but now realize it's ok to have that problem. charlie

I have the Gbox set for 87W and no problem getting everything now without having to bump the dish as some others are having. My issue had always been that if I go from say 72W to 139 and back all my settings are off more than a couple of clicks on the box. The constant tweaking is a pain. I wonder sometimes if my 24" actuator is just to short? and a 36" would help. Anyone else notice the Gbox isn't dead on each sat each time? Blind

G-Box, V-box, whatever, they all need accurate "sampling" of the actuator's movement. If a reed-switch is missing a closure, or a pulse is missing or "extra" ones generated, you'll have issues.

We went through this BIG time, finding a solution for RF (radio frequency) getting into my system. Eventually we had to change the dish's reed-switch to a rotary encoder. If you're using an arm, suspect the internal switch that creates the pulse, or a fault in wiring, or...even a PHYSICAL issue where the arm has some wear and "play" or even some "binding" as it runs. With an arm, binding may be a better bet. My Birdview dish had some binding on two metal plates due to rust buildup from the years it sat, and once that was cleaned, my counts didn't jump or vary! Good luck! Your G-box should do a fine job.

After some more experimenting, I think that the channel that's the oddball is MeTV.

If I tweak the dish for PBJ, it's also spot on for ThisTV but then the signal quality for MeTV drops way off.
When I move the dish to get the best signal for MeTV, PBJ and ThisTV signal quality then drop off. ThisTV will come in but PBJ (4080) won't at all.

And when I adjust the dish for the best signal, looking at the very end of the LNB cover, it moves 4 to 6 inches!
That is a very substantial difference, if you ask me. And when you draw a straight line from the center of the dish up into the sky, that would be a HUGE difference up there between the two spots, like many, many miles difference! That's why I am wondering if they are still using the old AMC 3 satellite, just parked near the new SES 2 satellite.. :confused:

I'm also wondering, considering that there is such a great deal of difference, could I just stick another LNB beside the existing one? That way I don't have to move the dish, I can let the switch take care of it. Yes no??

Thanks! :)

After some more experimenting, I think that the channel that's the oddball is MeTV.

If I tweak the dish for PBJ, it's also spot on for ThisTV but then the signal quality for MeTV drops way off.
When I move the dish to get the best signal for MeTV, PBJ and ThisTV signal quality then drop off. ThisTV will come in but PBJ (4080) won't at all.

And when I adjust the dish for the best signal, looking at the very end of the LNB cover, it moves 4 to 6 inches!
That is a very substantial difference, if you ask me. And when you draw a straight line from the center of the dish up into the sky, that would be a HUGE difference up there between the two spots, like many, many miles difference! That's why I am wondering if they are still using the old AMC 3 satellite, just parked near the new SES 2 satellite.. :confused:

I'm also wondering, considering that there is such a great deal of difference, could I just stick another LNB beside the existing one? That way I don't have to move the dish, I can let the switch take care of it. Yes no??

Thanks! :)
4 to 6 inches will be different satellites entirely.

Are they now using the new SES2?The reason im asking is now im getting both of RTV's TPs 3800 and 4080.In the past i would only get 4080 and would lose that at times during the day in the summer.Using a 6 footer here!Anyone else getting these tps now and not before?

I was ab le to get 4080 once. how i have no idea because it went away without any adjustments. i have continuously tried to get 4080 since and quality will only go to 30 to 50 percent. i dont know what else to do. is the skew the biggest issue if i am getting me and this at 80 to 90 percent? but yet no weather nation??? cant understand this one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts