SET UP HELP: DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brad16251

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2016
fort myers, florida
I currently have a slimline 5LNB and the a SWM16 setup to support 10 tuners.. the LNB is going bad and I need to replace it. I have an HR24-200, HR23-700, HR24-200, HR21-100, HR24-100, HR24-100. All has been working perfectly for the past 7 years. I have been getting a 771 error occasionally on that will blocking some channels for a few hours, then work for few hours??? DTV protection plan and the checked the lines and felt it was LNB going bad.. My dish is on my roof and their new policy is they cant go in the roof.. I can change the LNB myself, I have did it during the original setup..

My question: I currently have a 4K tv, but I don't have the genie system.. preparing for the future, should I replace with 4k LNB (DIRECTV Digital Reverse Band 5 UltraHD 4K LNB (5D2RBLNB))??? or just replace with same LNB that I currently have? Does that LNB that I just mention have the 4 lines coming from the LNB like the old one, or does it have the single line? can I still use my SWM16 with new LNB for the 10 tuners that I require? will the new LNB work with my current receivers?

thanks in advance.

BRAD..

if you go with the RB5 LNB, you will only need one coax line from the ODU into the house. it is NOT compatible with a SWM 16. it also means you should replace the 29v power inserter (PI) with a 21v PI. plus you have to do the tuner-math. if your just going to replace two units for the genie and C61k, thats a net add of 1, so your still under 13 (current max for RB lnbs).

unfortunately for you, if you ever DO go with a 4k (or any genie) setup, you STILL need to have a tech come out (per D* policy) to install the boxes and he may refuse to do it because the dish is on the roof in a place he's not allowed to go. why, you may ask? when he closes the work order he essentially "owns" the install now regardless of who actually installed it.

ultimately, just find a nice spot to put it on a pole. my $.02.

thanks- what splitter would I use since I cant us the SWM 16? 5 tuners for the HR-54 correct and one for the C61k? is there a wiring diagram for this to make it easy for me to follow.. will my current whole home internet work with this? I have DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit (DECABB1R0r, for my whole home setup?

thanks- what splitter would I use since I cant us the SWM 16? 5 tuners for the HR-54 correct and one for the C61k? is there a wiring diagram for this to make it easy for me to follow.. will my current whole home internet work with this? I have DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit (DECABB1R0r, for my whole home setup?
I Believe, the 61k adds ZERO to the total tuners as it uses the tuners from the Genie, strictly.

Personally, I would get a Genie, have them put the new dish on a pole, like mentioned above.
Get the 61k, also keep the HR 24s as many as you think you need, I would drop the HR23, as it's up there in age.

The Genie will have 5 tuners, you currently have 12 tuners.
If you got a Genie and kept the 4 HR24's you'd be at 13.

O-H-I-O!.. THE GAME!

what splitter would I need.. I need to split the one line from the LNB to the 8 way splitters??

cant I just switch out the LNB.. why move the dish to a pole?? its perfect where it is!

would I still need the DIRECTV Cinema Connection Kit?

I wish there was a diagram for this...
thanks

:welcome to Satelliteguys brad16251!

You need a splitter with enough ports for the number of dvrs you have. You don't need to swap out the power inserter since you can use a 29 volt model with the lnb. If you are going to get an HR54 and C61 for the 4k, Directv is going to want to do the install, so you can leave it all to them.

Reactions: Troch77
Do I need a power inserter if I get an HR-54..... if so, what port in splitter do I hook up the PI and what port for the HR-54??

thanks

as mentioned, you need a green label D* splitter with enough ports to provide one coax line to each receiver you have, plus 1 for your CCK. so yea, you probably need an 8-way splitter. you may already HAVE one installed, coming out from either the SWM1-8 port or SWM9-16 port on your SWM16 switch.

wiring diagram

each of the three D* splitter sizes has two red ports. the single side port goes to the LNB. the other red port goes towards the power inserter. since the HR54 HAS one integrated into the receiver, you can hook the HR54 directly to the red (power passing) port on your splitter. they use a 2 way splitter there, but it works the same for a 4 way or 8 way.

the power inserter that is integrated to the HR54 would be replacing the gray 29v one you have. in *my* experience, if you DO use an external 21 or 29v power inserter instead of the one in the HR54 then the one inside the HR54 will no longer work even if you reset it. not sure if anyone else has put this through any testing to see if i'm just crazy.

apparently i cant do math. SIX HR2X. so yea, if you upgrade the HR21 and 23 for a HR54 + c61k, that's 13 tuners. so if you're going to replace the LNB to future proof, just know you're pretty much tapped out after you change receivers.

circling back to the deca again, i always preferred to use a hard wire BB deca (like you currently have) because the wireless connection can get flaky, and has issues with some routers (especially AT&T routers)

thanks.. tomorrow I will draw it out and post a pic of my understanding of what you are saying.. then you can tell me if I'm wrong or not.. but I think I got it!

upload_2016-11-21_19-37-36.png

will this work?

thanks

probably not, the signal comes in a little lower with the RB type LNBs. you are using 3 splitters, cut that down to 1. connect the HDDVRs & CCK to the same splitter as the HR54 and you're in business.

Yes, it would look like an 8 way splitter would do the trick for him, making as you said, 1 splitter to do the whole thing.

Will I be OK with tuners? hr54 is 5 right. I thought only one 1X8 splitter will allow for only 8 tuners????
In a swm system each port on a splitter goes to each dvr. The number of tuners is a factor of the lnb, not the splitter.

Do I need a power inserter if I get an HR-54..... if so, what port in splitter do I hook up the PI and what port for the HR-54??

thanks
There is one built into the HR54. It must go on the power passing port of the splitter, or before the splitter.

I got a question ... don't have a 54 so not 100 % sure.

Its been posted that the 54's have a built in PI.
So, if I have a 54 and multiple other recvrs, does the 54 also serve as the PI for the rest of the recvrs in the system ?

I know you can still have a PI in the system and the internal one in the 54 will not be used.

Anyone know for sure ?

One PI in the system, the HR54 internal PI will work for everything. Remember it is powering the LNB so the number of receivers is irrelevant. But personally with multiple receivers I woulkd use an external PI, just so the rest of the receivers don't go down if the HR54 is rebooting for some reason.
And zashel's comment about the HR54 not working after you have used an external PI, I have found that not to be true. I can go backwards and forwards between internal and external PIs without any problems.

Reactions: Jimbo
5lnb.JPG

how about this? now if I wanted to use the power inserter I would hook that up to the red port and the HR54 to the unused port????

would hate for other receivers to go down, if HR-54 had to reboot.?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)