Status
Please reply by conversation.

CharredPC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 21, 2005
Lakebay, WA
I decided once and for all to iron out the SG2100 and USALS positioning since I'm considering getting a set-top sat box. I'm using ProgDVB and a Twinhan 102g. I'm at 40.314N Lat., 111.709W Long., so my closest true South bird is Anik F2. I'm using 11831 / V / 7300 for a transponder. Dish elevation ~24, Motor ~50, if you care ;)

Using USALS through ProgDVB, I told it to go to angluar position 0.68840067 to East (Anik F2) then aligned the elevation/etc so I was picking up Anik F2 (60%S/41%Q). To verify I'm all lined up, I tell it to go to angular position 5.75353275939361 to West (SatMex 5). The quality level blinks as the command is sent to the motor, but then nothing seems to happen. I'm still sitting on Anik F2. In fact, I have to pick a sat about 14 degrees away from Anik (such as Galaxy 13) just to loose Anik's signal. :confused:

So, do I blame my physical dish setup? Or do I blame this copy of ProgDVB and this USALS plugin? Do I blame the SG2100? So far I've been blaming myself, but I'm finally starting to doubt it's sheer stupidity on my part :D

Addendum: Hope this helps- I actually wnet up on the roof and marked the postion for Anik F2. Telling the motor in Progdvb to go from angular position .68 (Anik) to 13 (G10R) actually doesn't physically move the motor any visible amount- maybe a step or two. Hence my still getting the signal, it's just not going much anywhere. Angluar position ~17.25 (G13) finally nudges it enough steps away I lose Anik's signal, but of course I'm nowhere near any other satellite. From these results I'm now sure it's not a dish/motor physical setup problem, it's either software or the SG2100 itself is acting up (god I hope not... been enough of that on the forum lately :D ) Any advice is appreciated!

Hmmm with USASLS you should just have to tell it to take you to 116.8W for SatMex5.. or 111.1W for Anik F2. If you are specifying an angular position, that sounds like a DiSEqC 1.2 / Go-to-x command.

It could be that i've never seen / used ProgDVB too :).

One of these days I'll break down and buy one of them USB boxes.

I'm using DiSEqC 1.2 / Go-to-x commands becuase I think I messed up the default stored sat positions in my Sg2100 back when I first got it :( I can manually drive to/save each sat positon as I've been doing, but USALS SHOULD take care of it for me, as long as my arc is true.... right?

If the reset button brings back all the original sat location saves, I'll just try that and forget angular positions. ...Anyone? ;)

I don't think the USALS calculation has anything to do with the motor. From what I understand it's a calculation on the reciever end which derives a go-to-x command.

Shawn

If that's true, then everything outside the house is great and my software/reciever setup is shite. Crud. Not sure what else to do,us PCI sat card folk have very limited options for softare, and USUALS only works with ProgDVB (afaik). :(

Yes, using DiseqcU. It should be straightforward; just doesn't work.

Oddly enough, setting the ini setting to "USALS=No" doesn't change a thing in how the setup acts.

CharredPC said:
I'm using DiSEqC 1.2 / Go-to-x commands becuase I think I messed up the default stored sat positions in my Sg2100 back when I first got it :( I can manually drive to/save each sat positon as I've been doing, but USALS SHOULD take care of it for me, as long as my arc is true.... right?

If the reset button brings back all the original sat location saves, I'll just try that and forget angular positions. ...Anyone? ;)

If I understand what I have read on the SG2100, you should be able to reset the motor with a paperclip, once you manually motor it back to true south. Perhaps someone who has one can elaborate. I believe PSB has talked about this just recently. Here is the thread I am talking about. http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=71616

Rick

You can reset it anywhere, just a good Idea to do it at the true south "JUST IN CASE" you loose all your positions, if you do then you can simply USALS over to all your satellites positions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)