SG9120B reset pinhole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ESA1178

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 24, 2011
Sacramento, CA USA
Can't seem to locate the reset pinhole for the SG9120B.
I see 4 holes around the buttons and cable connections, but none of them are it..

Thanks!

Mark

I have the same problem. To the right of the receiver connection is the LED, no reset button. The 4 holes that are above and below the coax connections don't seem to be it either. I've poked away at them - it is just luck I haven't fried anything yet. My USALS is off my exactly 25 degrees suddenly and I was just about to post the same question when ESA1178 beat me to it. I have trolled the net but have only come up with the sales blurb about how it has a reset, not which hole.

I have one of the newer sg9120b motors with the 2 manual buttons east and west on the motor, and it doesn't have a reset button. Here's how you are supposed to reset it:

Manually drive the motor to 0 position with those buttons. You might have to use a pocket mirror to check this if the motor is installed. Disconnect the coax coming into the motor. Then, simultaneously PUSH and HOLD both east and west buttons, then, reconnect the coax (while still holding the buttons!) The led light will flash red-green-red-green 5-6 times (not the guy on PBS, no duct tape needed! lol). Let go of the buttons. Now, it should be synced to what it thinks is zero. Drive it to something else, and use your receivers GOTO X to see if it'll then go back to zero. Mine no matter what, thinks zero is 1~ degrees WEST, no matter how many resets I've done. I finally compensated by changing my Latitude on my microHD receiver to 44.73, when my true Lat is 43.73. Now the sats are all appearing to hit right on the money.

Strange the latitude setting would affect zero azimuth... one would expect to have to set the longitude off to compensate for the error. Must be something strange in the software in the motor. Whatever works...
I have an older SG2100 that the little micro switch corroded and shorted out causing the motor to do all sorts of things. I removed the switch from the board and cleaned the board in the area where the switch was. I didn't have a replacement switch at the time so I put it back together without. Been working perfectly since and hasn't gone out of alignment at all. I suppose the new reset system eliminates the chance of that particular switch failure (but there are the L/R switches yet).
Thanks for posting the instructions PrimeStar, I seem to have misplaced mine. Wonder if resetting in this manner would affect any diseqc switches; might want to remove them from the circuit before going through this process.

Strange the latitude setting would affect zero azimuth... one would expect to have to set the longitude off to compensate for the error. Must be something strange in the software in the motor. Whatever works...
I have an older SG2100 that the little micro switch corroded and shorted out causing the motor to do all sorts of things. I removed the switch from the board and cleaned the board in the area where the switch was. I didn't have a replacement switch at the time so I put it back together without. Been working perfectly since and hasn't gone out of alignment at all. I suppose the new reset system eliminates the chance of that particular switch failure (but there are the L/R switches yet).
Thanks for posting the instructions PrimeStar, I seem to have misplaced mine. Wonder if resetting in this manner would affect any diseqc switches; might want to remove them from the circuit before going through this process.

The DisEqc switches should come AFTER the motor, so I can't see how resetting the motor would affect that, as you are doing it with the coax coming into the motor.

You know, now that you put it that way, it DOES seem strange, doesn't it? But it works. My motor won't "zero" on the zero it thinks zero is slightly to my WEST, and changing the latitude on the receiver fixes it. Now I'm gonna go crazy trying to figure out WHY it works! lol

So I reset my SG9120B the other day, and all is good in that department, however here is the twist. In doing so I my "awesome" new avenger pll lnb fried. Back a few months ago I posted here how the f81 connector snapped off on the lnb input side of motor. To fix it I put a power passing splitter before the motor - allowing one line to the motor and one line to the lnb. So after I reset the motor - the lnb is dead. It is possible that I shorted the line when I was pressing the east west buttons with one hand and disconnecting/reconnecting the line to the splitter with the other. The other possibility is that the design of the motor did not consider that a lnb would be inside the circuit. So here is my big chance to try a geosat pll lnb!

So I reset my SG9120B the other day, and all is good in that department, however here is the twist. In doing so I my "awesome" new avenger pll lnb fried. Back a few months ago I posted here how the f81 connector snapped off on the lnb input side of motor. To fix it I put a power passing splitter before the motor - allowing one line to the motor and one line to the lnb. So after I reset the motor - the lnb is dead. It is possible that I shorted the line when I was pressing the east west buttons with one hand and disconnecting/reconnecting the line to the splitter with the other. The other possibility is that the design of the motor did not consider that a lnb would be inside the circuit. So here is my big chance to try a geosat pll lnb!

There's a guy on Ebay selling the sl1pll's for $17 free shipping. That makes it a bit cheaper.. I've brought from him before, and he was ok.

There's a guy on Ebay selling the sl1pll's for $17 free shipping. That makes it a bit cheaper.. I've brought from him before, and he was ok.

I saw that but the seller doesn't ship to Canada. I tried to buy one from SatAV online last night but the only shipping options were FedEx. I refuse to pay $60 in brokerage fees, so I didn't proceed with the purchase. I have searched the Canadian vendors who sell the MicroHD but none list the Geosat SL1PLL. Anyone know of someone who ships via USPS to Canada?

I saw that but the seller doesn't ship to Canada. I tried to buy one from SatAV online last night but the only shipping options were FedEx. I refuse to pay $60 in brokerage fees, so I didn't proceed with the purchase. I have searched the Canadian vendors who sell the MicroHD but none list the Geosat SL1PLL. Anyone know of someone who ships via USPS to Canada?

Got any friends that live on this side that could receive it, and mail it to you?

We ship USPS to Canada.
Option is available if you call. 888-483-4673

Thanks Brian. I called and ordered 2 SL1PLL. Kind of pricey though - came out to $70 with $15 of it being shipping from within Canada. Anyway, I look forward to trying them out.

pacificrim said:
Thanks Brian. I called and ordered 2 SL1PLL. Kind of pricey though - came out to $70 with $15 of it being shipping from within Canada. Anyway, I look forward to trying them out.

That price does not sound correct. Way too high! I will check with the sales team tomorrow.

I have one of the newer sg9120b motors with the 2 manual buttons east and west on the motor, and it doesn't have a reset button. Here's how you are supposed to reset it...

Didn't know there was a two button version of this motor. Looks like there will be multiple hardware versions, just like the SG-2100.

Didn't know there was a two button version of this motor. Looks like there will be multiple hardware versions, just like the SG-2100.

I wish they just built one GOOD one, that wasn't as much trouble as mine. There's close to a 2 degree error on the Latitude setting side, so I finally went with setting it by elevation with my inclinometer. It also won't zero exactly on the raised scale for the polar pipe. I've read about some people cracking theirs open, and resetting the gear inside that rides with the limit switches, but I don't want to do that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TeVii S464 DVBS2 ver.2 PCI card

Favourite FTA Satellite/Channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)