Shaw Direct Signal in Az

Why would the price go up just b'cuz they stopped using a sattellite?
To provide all of their channels on a single satellite, Shaw needed to upgrade everyone to receivers/DVRs that support HEVC.

That some were still using <800 series receivers has spiked the demand for 800 series receivers. With the spike in demand comes a spike in price.

It is a fundamental matter Economics.

To provide all of their channels on a single satellite, Shaw needed to upgrade everyone to receivers/DVRs that support HEVC.

That some were still using <800 series receivers has spiked the demand for 800 series receivers. With the spike in demand comes a spike in price.

It is a fundamental matter Economics.
Okay that makes sense but I thought they weren't selling them any more.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall at Shaw Direct and see how many people suddenly cancel their service.
Also I wonder if any ppl in the US or Mexico didn't know about this and called Shaw when there channels went out. I know Shaw has been telling ppl to upgrade to 800s but I don't think they told ppl anything about F2 b'cuz ppl in Canada wouldn't have a problem with it going away and Shaw wouldn't put out a note for ppl outside of Canada. If ppl don't read forums like this maybe they got caught by surprise.

I am east of Sacramento near Folsom Lake and found a GeoSatPro 1.2m dish awhile back so I ordered the F1X LNB from KuSat to play around. I am about 200 miles from the Oregon border and estimate about 250-275 miles from the lowest contour. I am getting signals in the low to mid 50's on some transponders, with occasional jumps to 60 where I briefly get video. Other transponders can't get a lock and and jump around in-between 0-50 range. This is using the receivers signal meter so with a professional meter I may be able to fine tune a bit, but doubt that would be enough to make it work. Was wondering if I can find a 1.8m dish, any idea how much it would help and at least get the signal to the 60's for some of the transponders?
The important number in your picture is EcbN0 (4.7 dB for G1 in this case). Nothing else matters. For the data rates/redundancy Shaw is using on G1, this needs to be at an absolute minimum, 5.5 dB. Ideally a 1.8m dish will increase that number by 3.5 dB to 8.2 dB, which would be fine. The caveats are (1) you may not get quite that much improvement, and (2) because you're on the edge of the footprint, you're vulnerable to small orbital position variations over a 24 hour period (~1.5 dB).

Still, on the surface a 1.8m might be all you need. If you keep track of the EcbN0s for a particular channel over a 24 hour period, use the lowest number you find as the 'worst case'. I'm in Denver and have received G1 with no problem since ~2016 on a 2.6m dish. My suggestion would be to also try a Shaw xKu LNB on your 1.2m first. My experience with multiple F1X LNBs is that they are ok, but inconsistent from transponder to transponder. A Shaw LNB may give you 0.5-1.0 dB more on the weakest transponders you're seeing. Just make sure the G1 part of the LNB is centered on your dish, and not something halfway in-between the two LNBs. With a little luck, you may be able to find a commercial-grade 1.8m for free. I still see them on top a few gas stations when driving around.

Reactions: forecheck
Also I wonder if any ppl in the US or Mexico didn't know about this and called Shaw when there channels went out. I know Shaw has been telling ppl to upgrade to 800s but I don't think they told ppl anything about F2 b'cuz ppl in Canada wouldn't have a problem with it going away and Shaw wouldn't put out a note for ppl outside of Canada. If ppl don't read forums like this maybe they got caught by surprise.
Lot of people were caught enjoying fine weather but no Canadian TV.

Reactions: bayguy
I don't imagine that Shaw is deeply concerned about those who are in violation of Shaw's Terms of Service.
Sorry, I disagree with that statement.

Everyone is paying for Shaw services - $100 a month or so. So we aren't stealing, we are paying for the service and using it somewhere. It may be outside of Canada and that may be a CRTC issue that Shaw can't do anything about. However, the bottom line is they will get hundreds and hundreds of cancellations.

At our golf group today, just in one RV park, ONE...everyone was talking about losing their satellite service. We all understood why.

However, Arizona must have 300 RV parks with all of them 50% Canadian and the majority of those residents having Shaw Satellite. Multiply that with all the other dishes in the holiday/vacation spots south to Mexico and I think they will take notice.

Can they do anything about it? No. Unfortunately, we now have to find other ways of watching our Canadian shows.

I would be interested in starting a thread to see what others are using: jailbroken Firestick, VPN, Remote into a computer back home and watch through a browser, direct channel into a computer at home. Other ideas?

I will cancel my Shaw and return the equipment but wish we had access to Canadian TV. I would, will, and have paid for that service.

Reactions: TML
At our golf group today, just in one RV park, ONE...everyone was talking about losing their satellite service. We all understood why.

However, Arizona must have 300 RV parks with all of them 50% Canadian and the majority of those residents having Shaw Satellite. Multiply that with all the other dishes in the holiday/vacation spots south to Mexico and I think they will take notice.
I will cancel my Shaw and return the equipment but wish we had access to Canadian TV. I would, will, and have paid for that service.
Wow that's a lot of ppl! But if its an RV park that means ppl don't live in the US all the time so wouldn't you all just put your SD subscription on vacation until you get home and not cancel it?

Wow that's a lot of ppl! But if its an RV park that means ppl don't live in the US all the time so wouldn't you all just put your SD subscription on vacation until you get home and not cancel it?
I'm sure there is a lot of us that just use it down south. I use to put my SD service on Vacation from Apr to Oct for the past 15 years. They definitely lost me as a customer last Oct.