Shopping an Outdoor Smoker. Advice needed!

I keep reading about speed. That's not what smokers are about. They're about low and slow. This tenderizes cheap cuts, such as pork butt. It reduces shrinkage. I produces a flavor all it's own.

If you want fast, use a big microwave.

The last pork butt I cooked (14 hrs) required a spatula to get it off the rack, perfect falling apart tender. :hungry::hungry:

NightRyder

Odd about that article; he is simply using propane as the source fire; but he is STILL using real wood for the "cooking smoke".

THE BIG LAUGH WAS HERE: and a total joke comment it is.

"I even had some people from south Texas... barbecue connoisseurs, tell me it was the best they had ever eaten. Did I tell them it was smoked in a propane smoker? No. Of course not. It would have hurt their pride but I know and that's what counts."

Yep. that's why I have no problem smoking with gas. Constant heat and real wood chips for the smoking. My issue with coal or wood only is the inconsistent heat. Hard to let it go all night with confidence.

Now coal and the Green Egg work real well but I have yet to spend the money on one. My neighbor loves his but he rarely uses it. I fire up mine once a week for turkey or ribs.

Alright guys, I've been to, or called 4 different Home Depot's in my area and none stock the Weber Bullet. I have already told my wife and neighbor that I plan on smoking THIS weekend! Everyone including myself is greatly anticipating Saturday, now I'm on a wild goose chase to find one of these at a local brick and mortar....

Well finally, I found a local ACE Hardware that has 1 left on their shelf! I will be on my way shortly after work to get one! After that, I will either stop at the local butcher (Mr. Brisket), or just go to Whole Foods to grab some good eats! Hurray!

Alright guys, I've been to, or called 4 different Home Depot's in my area and none stock the Weber Bullet. I have already told my wife and neighbor that I plan on smoking THIS weekend! Everyone including myself is greatly anticipating Saturday, now I'm on a wild goose chase to find one of these at a local brick and mortar....

Well finally, I found a local ACE Hardware that has 1 left on their shelf! I will be on my way shortly after work to get one! After that, I will either stop at the local butcher (Mr. Brisket), or just go to Whole Foods to grab some good eats! Hurray!

Keep in mind that a smoker needs to be seasoned for proper cooking and flavor so anything you do this weekend might be prone to disaster or at least mediocroty.

This tenderizes cheap cuts, such as pork butt.
With some cuts, the longer the cook the tougher and/or drier they get (unless you're constantly basting).

Operational cost is a consideration as is the idea that you can come home from a day out and still have some hope of eating dinner without having to set it up one or two days earlier.

With some cuts, the longer the cook the tougher and/or drier they get (unless you're constantly basting).

I've alder smoked shrimp and salmon - That's part of the beauty of low and slow, nothing happens fast - You just adjust the cooking time.

Operational cost is a consideration as is the idea that you can come home from a day out and still have some hope of eating dinner without having to set it up one or two days earlier.

That's what grills are for. :)

NightRyder

Last edited:
A smoker, used correctly will not dry out meats or make then tough due to the nature of its cooking method and the extremely low temps.

Got the WSM and assembled it yesterday. I also picked up a bag of hickory wood chunks, bag of lump coal and a Weber Chimney starter.

I also stopped at whole foods and picked up a few racks of baby back ribs and a pork butt. After talking to the butcher and sharing my plans with the meat, he gave me two complimentary cups full of two different rubs (secret WF recipe)! After work today, I plan on rubbing the meats down and refrigerating overnight.

The forecast for NE Ohio tomorrow will be 92°F. Unfortunately that means that most of the neighbors will have the windows shut and the AC blasting, so they won't be smelling the great smells coming from my backyard!

It was then I fully realized, the Orion (while quite a concept and design), isn't a "real" smoker. I want to smoke outside all day in preparation of a meal that I can feel that sense of accomplishment upon completion. If I wanted quick and easy, I'd use my 42,000 BTU Natural Gas Weber- Genesis!

I think I'm gonna pick up the WSM this weekend. The Orion just seems like a George Foreman Grill for BBQ. I would feel like I was cheating if I used this, if you know what I mean....
Do not equate the Orion with the George Foreman Grill... while you spend all day, I will have cooked 1 meal ate and be cooking another and enjoying....and as charper1 points out and this is true with any cooker... Season the cooker first.

Do not equate the Orion with the George Foreman Grill... while you spend all day, I will have cooked 1 meal ate and be cooking another and enjoying....and as charper1 points out and this is true with any cooker... Season the cooker first.

Not knocking your Orion, but in my evaluation, the WSM seemed to fit the bill of the true smoker that I was looking for. A true smoke has airflow, smoke ring and the classic "bark" on the finished cuts of meat. From my understanding, the Orion doesn't produce those things as well due to the nature of the convection type design. There's nothing wrong with the Orion, but it is more of an outdoor cooker than a Smoker. And as others (myself included) have said in the past, if I wanted quick and easy, I could always break out the grill. There is just more art to the Smoke.

That statement is more true while BBQ-ing at high temperatures. While smoking, you still cook to an internal desired temperature, which with a smoker would mean more time. You cannot associate time with dryness without also taking in consideration cooking temperture.

I think the "seasoning" of a smoker is an old wives tale. The people who manufacture and sell them do not say seasoning is needed. It's not cast iron. Read the smoker forums. Few say seasoning is needed. I am referring to ceramic and similar smokers. For metal smokers, there is a difference of opinion. But my bullet did not come with any instructions to "season" it. On the forums, this is a common statement, in reference to metal smokers: "The only seasoning a cooker needs is to heat it up to the point that it burns away all of the solvents, etc., that have been deposited on the inside." So while some "season" a metal smoker, I doubt that there will be much difference if you don't. I didn't.

And, the nature of a smoker is to prevent drying out. Many use a pan of water. The low heat is less likely to dry out meat. All are enclosed so the moisture is held within. If you keep opening to baste, you're letting the moisture and smoke out. You don't baste when smoking. All seasoning, dry or wet, is put on when the meat goes in (with few exceptions). When you grill, the heat is so high you must hold off on the sauce until near the end, so the sugars in it don't burn. The proper heat in smoking is low enough to not burn the sugars.

SMOKING IS NOT GRILLING. Leave the lid closed.

I think the "seasoning" of a smoker is an old wives tale. The people who manufacture and sell them do not say seasoning is needed. It's not cast iron. Read the smoker forums. Few say seasoning is needed. I am referring to ceramic and similar smokers. For metal smokers, there is a difference of opinion. But my bullet did not come with any instructions to "season" it. On the forums, this is a common statement, in reference to metal smokers: "The only seasoning a cooker needs is to heat it up to the point that it burns away all of the solvents, etc., that have been deposited on the inside." So while some "season" a metal smoker, I doubt that there will be much difference if you don't. I didn't.

And, the nature of a smoker is to prevent drying out. Many use a pan of water. The low heat is less likely to dry out meat. All are enclosed so the moisture is held within. If you keep opening to baste, you're letting the moisture and smoke out. You don't baste when smoking. All seasoning, dry or wet, is put on when the meat goes in (with few exceptions). When you grill, the heat is so high you must hold off on the sauce until near the end, so the sugars in it don't burn. The proper heat in smoking is low enough to not burn the sugars.

Did a little research- it seems some large smokers with thicker metal do come with instructions and suggestions on seasoning the smoker. Probably does not apply to thin metal smokers like the bullet.

The first smoke is "prone to disaster"? :(

The easiest, most fool proof "first smoke" is pork butt. At it's best, it will be falling off the bone, as it should, and be flavorful with a wonderful smoke ring. At something less, generally if you have not left it in the smoker long enough, it will still be fully cooked, just will not be falling off the bone. Still taste good.

And chickens, esp whole chickens, can be rather easy, and much quicker than a 7-8 pound pork butt. Chops go quickly, too. Ribs aren't really hard, just a little more than the butt.

The only thing I've been disappointed in, and might not try again, is duck. But the goose came out great! And when the goose fat caught fire, we had some great live entertainment, too!

Don't use too much wood for the smoke flavor. With too much smoke, the meat becomes bitter.

Since there's usually just the two of us, I've learned that smoked items freeze well for later consumption.

Did a little research- it seems some large smokers with thicker metal do come with instructions and suggestions on seasoning the smoker. Probably does not apply to thin metal smokers like the bullet.

I read through my Bullet manual last night and I didn't read anything about seasoning.

The easiest, most fool proof "first smoke" is pork butt. At it's best, it will be falling off the bone, as it should, and be flavorful with a wonderful smoke ring. At something less, generally if you have not left it in the smoker long enough, it will still be fully cooked, just will not be falling off the bone. Still taste good.

And chickens, esp whole chickens, can be rather easy, and much quicker than a 7-8 pound pork butt. Chops go quickly, too. Ribs aren't really hard, just a little more than the butt.

The only thing I've been disappointed in, and might not try again, is duck. But the goose came out great! And when the goose fat caught fire, we had some great live entertainment, too!

Don't use too much wood for the smoke flavor. With too much smoke, the meat becomes bitter.

Since there's usually just the two of us, I've learned that smoked items freeze well for later consumption.

Good. So, my first smoke choice of pork butt will be a good one to start off with.

As for too much water, do you mean not soaking the wood chunks in water? The recipe that I'm following says to fill the water bowl up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts