Shopping an Outdoor Smoker. Advice needed!

I worked at a cook-to-order/catering place in the late 90's ("Now We're Cooking" in Solon). After that, the original owner sold the place to purchase an Italian full-scale restaurant in Twinsburg called "DiFranco's". I left with the owner and cooked there for a while. Unfortunately, the place wasn't as profitable as he originally thought and turned it into more of a bar/restaurant, although the menu still consisted of many of the popular pasta, steak and seafood dishes that we had at DiFranco's. I haven't worked there since '01, so I really can't vouch for the food currently, but when I worked there, we took pride in our "bar" food being better than any other bar around.

Never been there...I was stumbling around Kent in the late 90s. :)

You bring meats to near room temp so that the first 30- 40 mins in the cooking/smoking device (or more) are not spent cooking the outside while only removing the cold from the interior. Resting meats before and after cooking yields much better results in the end.

I just noticed that most every recipe, including the one I was following over the weekend for the pork butt, instructed to cook to an internal meat temperture of 190°F. However, it is commonly known that 160°F is considered medium for pork. I had trouble reaching 190°F when I was smoking my 3lb butt. After 10 hours I pulled it at 165°-170°F, covered with foil and cooked the rest in the oven till it reached 190°F.

I have no complaints with how tender and tasteful the butt came out, but I'm wondering if it would be more moist if it was pulled from the smoker and shredded at 160°F instead? What do you guys normally cook your Boston Butt/Pork Shoulder to?

Temps

Another reason we let the meat warm is that smoke sticks to cold items in a bad way, if the meat is too cold you can get a black sooty look to the meat. But be careful, you do not want most meats sitting out over 40 degrees too long. Your rub probably helps keep bacteria down, but be careful.

Don't worry so much about internal temp when you are smoking, since you are new to it there is no harm taking some readings but we do not go by the same rules. It sounds like you took the Brisket off to soon. We cook slow to break the meat down and make it tender, as long as it is moist the internal temps can go above "standard", it is time and fire control that matter most in my opinion.

Whole Turkey! That is the hardest for me to smoke, chicken, butts and ribs are all easy by comparision. I would at least do one before Thanksgiving so you have some experience. I have yet to be happy with one. They have all been enjoyed but not my best work.

Another tip, cook something without rub or sauce. Rub is a crutch, give it a try, you may never go back, I no longer use rubs or marinade. I do use mustard for the look.

I question the "rub is a crutch" comment; I have never even seen or tasted ANY championship meat that didn't use a rub. Being simple spices I cant see the crutch factor but see the smoke and the rub working hand-in-hand.

I question the "rub is a crutch" comment; I have never even seen or tasted ANY championship meat that didn't use a rub. Being simple spices I cant see the crutch factor but see the smoke and the rub working hand-in-hand.

+ :up:up:up

NightRyder

Anyone smoking this weekend?

I am starting to get the itch again. I want to try something new. Or maybe I'll just do ribs again. Hmmmm.....

I'm doing some ribs tonight. I'll be smoking them on the grill. Rubbed them down last night. This week end i'm going shopping for a new smoker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at the specs of the Orion vs. the Weber Smokey Mountain and I can see a few advantages/disadvantages for each.......

Weber= Less cooking space, $100 more than the Orion, longer cook times, although it is more typical of a real smoker.

Orion= More cooking space, owners claim to have smoked a 20lb+ turkey in it, $100 less than the Weber, quicker cook times.

*Q: Weber owners: Have you had success cooking a whole Turkey in the Smokey Mountain? Does it fit? What type of hangers/racks are included?

My wife has smoked a full-size turkey in the weber with the stock accessories. Took a long time, but came out excellent.

Also have the Orion and love it too.

We use both. The Orion for when we don't want to spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours preparing the meal; the Weber when she wants to do up several pork roasts; to freeze.

Paid $129 for the Orion; it was a great deal.

There is a company back in Amarillo called Tiernan and I have their "Son of Brisket" smoker. I can't remember if we can post links, so PM me if you want it. I really like mine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)