Shopping an Outdoor Smoker. Advice needed!

I need some help from you expert smokers....

I bought a Brinkman vertical smoker and made the recommended modifications to it (drilled holes in the charcoal pan). I cured it per the instructions and yesterday I attempted my first smoke.

I smoked some ribs and a pork shoulder. I applied a rub to both and let them sit overnight. I brought the meat to near room temp before putting it on the smoker.

I used normal kingsford charcoal with a few pieces of hickory wood mixed in. The temperature of the smoker throughout the whole smoke was maintained between 190 and 230 (usually about 210).

The food did not come out well. The ribs never became very tender. I pulled them after about 7.5 hours when their internal temp was around 170. They were fairly tough, EXTREMELY dry and the smoke flavor was overpowering. It was like eating rib jerky.

After 10 hours on the smoker, the shoulder (4.5 lbs) had an internal temp of 145...I brought it up to temp in my regular oven. Like the ribs, the shoulder was dry, tough and too smoky.

Any ideas of what I did wrong? I want to try again and hopefully i'll get better results/

I bought a Brinkman vertical smoker and made the recommended modifications to it (drilled holes in the charcoal pan). I cured it per the instructions and yesterday I attempted my first smoke.

I smoked some ribs and a pork shoulder. I applied a rub to both and let them sit overnight. I brought the meat to near room temp before putting it on the smoker.

I used normal kingsford charcoal with a few pieces of hickory wood mixed in. The temperature of the smoker throughout the whole smoke was maintained between 190 and 230 (usually about 210).

The food did not come out well. The ribs never became very tender. I pulled them after about 7.5 hours when their internal temp was around 170. They were fairly tough, EXTREMELY dry and the smoke flavor was overpowering. It was like eating rib jerky.

After 10 hours on the smoker, the shoulder (4.5 lbs) had an internal temp of 145...I brought it up to temp in my regular oven. Like the ribs, the shoulder was dry, tough and too smoky.

Any ideas of what I did wrong? I want to try again and hopefully i'll get better results/

Not an expert by any means (smoked twice), but as I'm learning this new hobby, I've read and collected tons of knowledge so far. Maybe I can shed some light as I just smoked the same spread as you just last week.

First off, you should've got the Weber Smokey Mountain instead. ;) Just kidding of course. :D

Anyways, I have a few questions for you:

1) You did keep the water pan full the entire smoke didn't you?
2) Did you soak the wood chips? Soaking the chips leads to more smoke. If you want less smoke, don't soak the chips.
3) When you finished the pork shoulder in the smoker and transfered to the oven, did you be sure to wrap heavily in foil?
4) Did you shred while hot? 30 minutes- hour after cooking?
4) Did you keep the lid shut for the majority of the time? Every time you open, it releases some of the moisture that accumulates inside.
5) What was the top damper open at? The more open, the more smoke. Another way of controlling the desired smoke is to play with the dampers.

Overall, it's possible that you left the ribs on too long. Ribs don't have a ton of meat on them and shouldn't take long. Despite what some say, YES it is possible to "over smoke" and keep on too long. Most recipes I've read, recommends ribs to cook between 4-6 hours. I pulled my two racks of baby backs at 6 hours and actually could've pulled them sooner at the 5 hour mark.

And as for the pork butt, I'm curious to that answer as well. I hear it is more important to stick to cooking times and steady cook temperatures rather than looking at the internal meat temperture. Everything I've read gave the recomendation to use a 1.5x the meat weight. (3lb x 1.5 = 4.5hrs). However I pulled mine on at the 10 hour mark and finished in the oven as well to reach the 190°F recommended internal temperture. I was happy with mine, but could've been a tad more moist.

If I'm wrong on any level, I encourage the more experienced to correct me, but I have learned so much already in my beginning experiences....

Told you to get the Weber ;) J/K. If the food is too smokey use less wood next time, you can also try using a different type of wood, like apple or alder, they have a milder flavor than hickory. It sounds like you may have a temperature control problem (too hot at the start). You need to check the accuracy of your smokers thermometer and check the temp at the cooking grates. I've never had a pork shoulder turn out dry or tough.

NightRyder

I must say that this thread has left me more confused than ever.

I have an ancient Brinkman that I haven't used in at least 15 years. I was all set to go try the Webber, but when I look at it, it looks just like an oversize Brinkman. The only big advantage I saw was that it had lower ventilation control. Other than that, it is a vertical smoker made of sheet steel. I guess I don't see how it achieves better temp control.

I also saw the comments recommending against side box smokers. That is counter to stuff I have seen on foodnetwork from Bobby Flay and Alton Brown. Why don't I want a side smoker?

I must say that this thread has left me more confused than ever.

I have an ancient Brinkman that I haven't used in at least 15 years. I was all set to go try the Webber, but when I look at it, it looks just like an oversize Brinkman. The only big advantage I saw was that it had lower ventilation control. Other than that, it is a vertical smoker made of sheet steel. I guess I don't see how it achieves better temp control.

The Weber is made of heavier gauge enameled steel with much better fit between the segments, this makes it much more efficient and way easier to control temperature. The adjustable bottom vents (3) are key in being able to keep temperature in the proper range for real low heat smoking. Putting the difference in build quality and performance in home electronic terms, the Brinkman would be a low end Pioneer the Weber a mid-level Denon. :)

NightRyder

WOW! those sure are pricey!

Yes. I'd buy a ceramic smoker before one of those. Some ceramic smokers cost less than these.

BTW, when smoking, it's best not to use briquettes. They have filler and binders that produce a lot of ash; may impart off flavors to the enclosed food; burn at a lower temperature; and may burn quicker - than lump charcoal. Use natural lump charcoal and wood.

Well, Saturday's smoke was a success. I did baby back ribs again.

I followed the "Baby Back Ribs- Best Ribs in the Universe" recipe as seen: HERE.

I didn't think it was possible to improve much from the first rib smoke experience last week, but I was wrong. The combination of the improved rub and cooking 1.5 hours less (4.5 to 5 hours total smoke time) was the key difference IMO. I also mixed in 2 bottles of Guinness Beer (leftover from St. Patty's Day) in with the water pan.

I also added some honey to my BBQ sauce. Soon after I pulled the ribs from the smoker, I cut the ribs up individually and slathered the sauce onto them before serving. My God! I'm telling you, THESE were the best I've ever had and could've won a contest! I'm loving this smoker!

Thanks. I have checked out that site. A definate site to have book marked. I have been following this thread and the links provided by many posters and the WSM should do the trick for me. I would rather spend a little more than a lot in the long run on cheaper models. Can't wait for it to get here.

Just to add to the "cold meat" comments earlier.

I just read recently that putting cold meat in the smoker tends to make creosote build up on the cold meat until it warms a bit, which does not happen when it's room temp.

I just did four chunks of pork. I set them out about two hours early, and then did each of them (around 8 lbs each) in the microwave about 7 mins at 10%. After about 11.5 hours or so, they had been at 190 for some time, and the meat fell off the bone. Pretty good, but next time I'll use more wood chunks for more smoke.

Got my WSM last week. Completed several of the suggested mods. Doing my first smoke tomorrow. 7lb brisket thats been chillin in a dry rub I put on it last night.

Got my WSM last week. Completed several of the suggested mods. Doing my first smoke tomorrow. 7lb brisket thats been chillin in a dry rub I put on it last night.

Oh man! Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. My first attempt at a briskett was a bit off. I broke all of the rules, but am eager to correct it. Good luck.

If you have an Albertsons nearby (and they follow a national on sale flyer) 17 pound bags are $5.99 for Kingsford-- Regular, Mesquite and Hickory charcoal...(usually $7.99 at Wal Mart and $9.99 at Albertsons here...

Never heard of it. However, I am off to Sam's Club to pick up some gigantic bags of Kingsford for the upcoming 4th of July smoke-session! Anyone know if Sam's sells smoking wood chunks?

Oh man! Sounds good. Let us know how it goes. My first attempt at a briskett was a bit off. I broke all of the rules, but am eager to correct it. Good luck.

Will do. Been readind up on briskets on the WSM forums, and I think I'm ready. I know I'm excited, so I hope it turns out. Going to lite the fire at 0800 tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts