Shopping an Outdoor Smoker. Advice needed!

Good. So, my first smoke choice of pork butt will be a good one to start off with.

As for too much water, do you mean not soaking the wood chunks in water? The recipe that I'm following says to fill the water bowl up.

Soak or don't the wood chunks it really doesn't seem to matter much, just be careful how much smoke wood you use at first. Fill the pan with water it makes it easier to keep the temp stable.

Did you get a thermometer?

Here's what I use:

Measuring Temperature In The Weber Bullet - The Virtual Weber Bullet

When I first started out with my WSM, I used a candy thermometer inserted through the lid vent to measure temperature. Candy thermometers work great, cost $10-12, and can be found at hardware stores, cooking supply stores, and in mail-order catalogs. Taylor is a popular brand that you'll find in many stores. These thermometers usually include a metal clip that is used to attach the thermometer to the edge of a pot, but the clip will also suspend the thermometer in the top-most vent hole.

NightRyder

I said "too much wood" not "too much water." No way you could possibly use too much water. I've also used a jug of apple juice to good effect, but it really munges up the pan.

I use a dual remote thermometer. One laying on the top cooking surface, one embedded in the meat. Keep in mind the meat will heat up, then "plateau" as the collagens are converted, then heat up again. So don't be tempted to increase the smoker temps as you notice the meat does not keep getting hotter on a steady basis.

I like NightRyder's link. Thermometers seem to be something many people are not happy with, and keep experimenting on.

I too use apple juice or apple cider to soak my wood chunks (preferred over chips or dust for longer smokes). I also agree depending on what you will smoke and for how long can lead to determining the smoke amount and variety of wood used. I thermometer is a must.

Soak or don't the wood chunks it really doesn't seem to matter much, just be careful how much smoke wood you use at first. Fill the pan with water it makes it easier to keep the temp stable.

Did you get a thermometer?

Here's what I use:

Measuring Temperature In The Weber Bullet - The Virtual Weber Bullet

When I first started out with my WSM, I used a candy thermometer inserted through the lid vent to measure temperature. Candy thermometers work great, cost $10-12, and can be found at hardware stores, cooking supply stores, and in mail-order catalogs. Taylor is a popular brand that you'll find in many stores. These thermometers usually include a metal clip that is used to attach the thermometer to the edge of a pot, but the clip will also suspend the thermometer in the top-most vent hole.

NightRyder

Yeah, I was just reading up on that on the Virtual Weber Bullet site. Fortunately, I have a few thermometers already to chose from. I'm going to use a instant read pushed through a cork. and wedged into a hole in one of the dampers.

As for the meat, I am smoking a 3lb pork butt and 2 racks of baby backs. They are all seasoned/rubbed down and in the fridge as we speak. I plan to smoke for apx. 5-6hrs, starting at 9am tomorrow morning. Does the rule of 1.5 hours per pound for the pork butt work well?

Remember to allow the meat to come to near room temp BEFORE ever being placed into the smoke chamber. Even with grilling, pan frying or oven roasting; cold meat should NEVER be placed in / on the heat. EVER!

Cook times depend on your chamber temp; bone-in or boneless and overall weight; I try to stay at about 200 for my smoking temp @ 45 per pound.

On cook times I would say you should read here; PRACTICE and find your own rig's best timing:

Pork Cooking Times

Pork Cooking Chart

Keep in mind some may be listed as roasting times. But a 150-155 degree internal temp of the meat will be great! (look for indirect heat or smoking)

Strong agreement here on meat being at or near room temperature before going in the smoker. I generally let a butt sit out a couple of hours beforehand.

Never saw a boneless butt. I'm sure the butcher would love you for such a request! I'd rather have it cook with the bone anyway, I think it'd add flavor.

I generally leave a 8-9 lb butt on for 12 hours or so. But I've been leaving it on until 160, or until it's obvious the meat is falling off the bone.

LOL; yep.. Sorry I was not trying to insinuate a boneless butt; just boneless in general for other meats that could be common either or.

I've got a rack of ribs and a whole chicken on now. This time, instead of using a chimney, I filled it with lump charcoal and lit the top with a mapp torch. Temps seem to be better, easier to maintain than ever.

Just checking in to share my first smoking experience (Saturday) on the WSM.....

I had the meat selections (2 racks of ribs and a 3lb butt w/ bone), seasoned and sitting for 1.5-2 hours before I threw them into the smoker. I started the fire and had the meat in by 10am. I followed this recipe for the pork butt... Pork Butt - Slathered With Mustard & Rub - The Virtual Weber Bullet

I ended up using a probe thermometer to monitor the internal grill temperature. I just dangled the probe through one of the openings of the damper on the grill top. Conveniently, the smoker was near my shed, so I was within reach to string the cord from the probe to the digital monitor that magnetically attached to a metal door latch on my shed. Periodically I checked the temperature and tried to stay between 225-250ºF. Yesterday was a bit windy at times, but remarkably, I didn't have too much of a problem maintaining a constant temperature.

6 hours later, I pulled the ribs and covered with foil. At that time, I checked the internal temperature of the pork-butt and remarkably it was only 140ºF. My 3lb butt didn't reach 160ºF until 8pm (10 hours later!). I had to replenish the charcoal (chunk off brand), 8 hours later, for an amount to get me 2 more hours of burn. To start the day, I filled the charcoal ring full (with 5-6 Hickory chunks, un-soaked) and lit by using the Minion method. I will use regular Kingsford next time.

Luckily, the ribs, corn-on-the-cobb, baked beans and corn bread was enough to keep our guests full. I even had two comments on how they were the best ribs they ever had! Personally, my wife and I also loved the flavor and were happy with the results. If I could do it over again though, I may have pulled them a bit sooner, maybe 4.5-5 hours instead of 6 though. 2 of our guests didn't even put BBQ sauce on them, and said the flavor of the rub, the smoky flavor and the moistness of the meat was enough and they didn't need sauce.

When I pulled the butt at 8pm, I let stand for about 30 minutes before fork pulling/shredding. The bone fell cleanly off the rest of the meat by barely touching it! I shredded it with couple forks and covered with foil (before sneaking a few bites), to save for a later sandwich.

*Update, today (Sunday), I warmed up the pulled pork with some Stubb's BBQ sauce. Not sure if this is a local or national brand, but this is my favorite store bought sauce for pork. The sandwiches were to die for!

Overall, I am very happy with how things turned out. My wife wants me to smoke once a week now, as she was impressed with the results as well. My dog (Bailey the German Short-Haired Pointer) also seemed to like the results! :D

BTW, as we speak I have a beef brisket smoking. Second smoke day in a row! I used the leftover rub from the pork-butt to season the brisket this morning. I had it marinading in a soak overnight. I plan on it being done in 6 hours (started at 11am and hope to have it finished by 5pm). I'll let you guys know how it turned out after I eat tonight....

This thread has inspired me to finally buy a smoker (something i've wanted for a few years now)....I'm going to try my luck with a $40 brinkmann (crosses fingers)

This thread has inspired me to finally buy a smoker (something i've wanted for a few years now)....I'm going to try my luck with a $40 brinkmann (crosses fingers)

They work but you will go through a lot of charcoal and have problems maintaining a low temp (I know I started with one). The Weber is so much better in build quality and ease of use it's well worth extra $. Good luck.

NightRyder

Just checking in to share my first smoking experience (Saturday) on the WSM.....

I had the meat selections (2 racks of ribs and a 3lb butt w/ bone), seasoned and sitting for 1.5-2 hours before I threw them into the smoker. I started the fire and had the meat in by 10am. I followed this recipe for the pork butt... Pork Butt - Slathered With Mustard & Rub - The Virtual Weber Bullet

I ended up using a probe thermometer to monitor the internal grill temperature. I just dangled the probe through one of the openings of the damper on the grill top. Conveniently, the smoker was near my shed, so I was within reach to string the cord from the probe to the digital monitor that magnetically attached to a metal door latch on my shed. Periodically I checked the temperature and tried to stay between 225-250ºF. Yesterday was a bit windy at times, but remarkably, I didn't have too much of a problem maintaining a constant temperature.

6 hours later, I pulled the ribs and covered with foil. At that time, I checked the internal temperature of the pork-butt and remarkably it was only 140ºF. My 3lb butt didn't reach 160ºF until 8pm (10 hours later!). I had to replenish the charcoal (chunk off brand), 8 hours later, for an amount to get me 2 more hours of burn. To start the day, I filled the charcoal ring full (with 5-6 Hickory chunks, un-soaked) and lit by using the Minion method. I will use regular Kingsford next time.

Luckily, the ribs, corn-on-the-cobb, baked beans and corn bread was enough to keep our guests full. I even had two comments on how they were the best ribs they ever had! Personally, my wife and I also loved the flavor and were happy with the results. If I could do it over again though, I may have pulled them a bit sooner, maybe 4.5-5 hours instead of 6 though. 2 of our guests didn't even put BBQ sauce on them, and said the flavor of the rub, the smoky flavor and the moistness of the meat was enough and they didn't need sauce.

When I pulled the butt at 8pm, I let stand for about 30 minutes before fork pulling/shredding. The bone fell cleanly off the rest of the meat by barely touching it! I shredded it with couple forks and covered with foil (before sneaking a few bites), to save for a later sandwich.

*Update, today (Sunday), I warmed up the pulled pork with some Stubb's BBQ sauce. Not sure if this is a local or national brand, but this is my favorite store bought sauce for pork. The sandwiches were to die for!

Overall, I am very happy with how things turned out. My wife wants me to smoke once a week now, as she was impressed with the results as well. My dog (Bailey the German Short-Haired Pointer) also seemed to like the results! :D

BTW, as we speak I have a beef brisket smoking. Second smoke day in a row! I used the leftover rub from the pork-butt to season the brisket this morning. I had it marinading in a soak overnight. I plan on it being done in 6 hours (started at 11am and hope to have it finished by 5pm). I'll let you guys know how it turned out after I eat tonight....

Congratulations! Sound like a successful first cook.

NightRyder

Just curious as to the reasoning to why you should bring the meat to room temperture before smoking?

As for my second day smoke, I had a 3lb beef brisket. I didn't allow to sit out that long before hand, and instead drained the marinade and rubbed down with seasoning. After I started the coals, I threw on the meat and maintained a 225-250°F inside temp. For some reason, I thought it would've taken apx. 6 hours. After 4 hours I checked the internal meat temperture and it was already 160°F. I wanted to pull the brisket at 145°F instead. That probably would've been around the 2-1/2 -3 hour mark. Oh well. Live and learn. The brisket was still edible and had a nice flavoring, but a tad overdone for my tastes.

In the future, I will have two thermometers on hand. One to monitor the inside smoke temperture and one to monitor the internal meat temperture.

BTW, I think I inspired my neighbor over the weekend! His wife came out of the house and said that she heard I was smoking and wanted to know what I was cooking and it smelled so good! The next day, I saw him cutting up some wood and soaking in a bucket. An hour later, he had his rusty 'ol Brinkman out!

I debated the $40 Brinkman, but I decided to spend the extra $$. Remember the old adage: "you get what you pay for".

Congratulations! Sound like a successful first cook.

NightRyder

Thanks. Yeah, it turned out better than anticipated. I've already started to send the word out to claim Thanksgiving at our house this year!

I want to do two Turkey's. Both non-traditional and without the use of an indoor oven. That will leave the oven free for my wife to do some side dishes and baking. The plan is to smoke one and deep fry the other!

Thanks. Yeah, it turned out better than anticipated. I've already started to send the word out to claim Thanksgiving at our house this year!

I want to do two Turkey's. Both non-traditional and without the use of an indoor oven. That will leave the oven free for my wife to do some side dishes and baking. The plan is to smoke one and deep fry the other!

Can I invite myself to your house this Thanksgiving?:D

Now- you're addicted! :p:hungry:

You bet I am! This is turning into a great hobby! I've always loved cooking and was a chef at a local restaurant for most of my years through school. However, when I got married, the wife took over most of the cooking duties. I think I found our happy medium though now. The man's domain for cooking is outdoors! :D

Just thought of something. With the latest WSM purchase, this now creates the 4th in the collection of Weber grills for me! I really couldn't be more happy with any of these grills. Weber truly makes a superior product.

Here's my arsenal:

Weber Genesis- Natural Gas Grill, 3 burners, side burner. Still the mainstay of our outdoor cooking.
Weber Q- with rolling stand cart. Use when cooking on the road or tailgating.
Weber Smokey Joe- Portable Charcoal
Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker- For serious outdoor smoking.

You bet I am! This is turning into a great hobby! I've always loved cooking and was a chef at a local restaurant for most of my years through school. However, when I got married, the wife took over most of the cooking duties. I think I found our happy medium though now. The man's domain for cooking is outdoors! :D

Do you mind saying what restaurant? I wonder if I've eaten your food...

Do you mind saying what restaurant? I wonder if I've eaten your food...

I worked at a cook-to-order/catering place in the late 90's ("Now We're Cooking" in Solon). After that, the original owner sold the place to purchase an Italian full-scale restaurant in Twinsburg called "DiFranco's". I left with the owner and cooked there for a while. Unfortunately, the place wasn't as profitable as he originally thought and turned it into more of a bar/restaurant, although the menu still consisted of many of the popular pasta, steak and seafood dishes that we had at DiFranco's. I haven't worked there since '01, so I really can't vouch for the food currently, but when I worked there, we took pride in our "bar" food being better than any other bar around.