Sirius Car Antenna vs. Car Wash

donellyd

Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I installed a new antenna on a new SUV in Dec 07 and I have now lost reception on that antenna (new one works + old one doesn't work in boom box or home doc). Aquiring signal is what the Sportster reads w/o ever picking up a signal.

The guys at Sirius say it is because I use an automatic car wash. Especially funny, since in the install book it says to let the cable protector adhesive to set up for ~72hrs prior to going through a car wash.

Anybody heard of such a thing? If it is true is the work around to put a piece of tape over it prior to entering the car wash?

I installed a new antenna on a new SUV in Dec 07 and I have now lost reception on that antenna (new one works + old one doesn't work in boom box or home doc). Aquiring signal is what the Sportster reads w/o ever picking up a signal.

The guys at Sirius say it is because I use an automatic car wash. Especially funny, since in the install book it says to let the cable protector adhesive to set up for ~72hrs prior to going through a car wash.

Anybody heard of such a thing? If it is true is the work around to put a piece of tape over it prior to entering the car wash?
I would strongly suggest that you just remove the antenna before you go into the wash. I never found that cable protector to be very strong anyways and my antenna just sits magnetized on my trunk. Haven't had any issues in the 2+ years that it's been on car with that setup.

My antenna is hard wired to the SUV; wires buried, etc. Impossible to remove. Am I the only person with a Sirius permanent install who uses a car wash??

I recall the tech saying there's a metallic coating that helps pull in the signal that will get worn off via auto car washes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts