Sirius indoor antenna

Alvarez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Brownsburg, IN
I am having the worst trouble with my indoor Sirius antenna. Is it worse quality then the car antenna? The car antenna I have full strenth almost 24/7 unless I am under a bridge caught in traffic.

At home I will have at most 6 bars then it will fall to 3 and then start skipping BADLY... I put it in the window and it gets WORSE. I stand by it and it gets better lol. I have moved this thing EVERYWHERE in the room and the next room.

Is there some kind of trick to getting them to work better and is there some kind of outdoor antenna I can hook up perhaps? I am unfamilliar with the coax type of plugin it uses.

Thanks for any help!

Alvarez said:
I am having the worst trouble with my indoor Sirius antenna. Is it worse quality then the car antenna? The car antenna I have full strenth almost 24/7 unless I am under a bridge caught in traffic.

At home I will have at most 6 bars then it will fall to 3 and then start skipping BADLY... I put it in the window and it gets WORSE. I stand by it and it gets better lol. I have moved this thing EVERYWHERE in the room and the next room.

Is there some kind of trick to getting them to work better and is there some kind of outdoor antenna I can hook up perhaps? I am unfamilliar with the coax type of plugin it uses.

Thanks for any help!

That is the biggest complaint about sirius and their sats. Since they are constantly moving you can position your antenna perfectly but then later in the day the signal drops. For XM I never have an issue the antenna has been in the same place for over a year. For Sirius I have one of those Terk outdoor antennas attached to my deck. Then have the a cable extender running into my house. That seems to get the job done. Its not a cheap solution but its better then ripping your hair out constantly moving the antenna around.

I solved all the above mentioned problems by installing the Sirius antenna where it could see the sky. Sirius provides an Home Antenna Installation Guide . Some expect too much from the home antenna, it must see the sky much like your satellite TV dish. I keep my DISH Network dish outside along with my Sirius Home Antenna . There is a new outside Sirius antenna reasonably priced and for sale HERE

The Home Kit's are a waste of money. I moved to a Sirius Boombox. It is a 100% improvement.
It still can lose it once an hour, but after a fewminutes, it recorrects,
without any touching.
Forget the home RF modulating, I could't get a signal, it wasn't worth my time
since the distance when found is limited.

I have not touched the Universal Car Kit RF modulation yet, I don't have much hope. Anybody try the car this way?

If they consider leasing a real satellite, I hope our equipement can handle
a firmware update.

oops, their goes my signal, make that twice an hour. But I'm not trying
hard enough, I have the wire still looped around the attenna, attatched to the boombox, without extending it.
Tired of jumping over wires.

More complaints, maybe a real C band satellite some day.

The $39.99 home antenna above,
I think I could build something myself.

Well for all those saying it needs to see the sky... I have the antenna inside of a deep window it should see quite a bit of the sky actually... However I can't get it to pick up anything in the window... strangely enough it gets 6 bars in my home theater with no windows. However over time it falls to 3 and then nothing... I would imagine this is the satelites moving as people have said. *sigh*

On a good note I guess I will have XM off of my Directv here soon and the inside sirius could become a moot point if it can compare with sirius's rock channel... I just like listening to the NFL channel though :(

Alvarez said:
I just like listening to the NFL channel though :(

I have DISH, but a friend of mine has DTV and he says the Sirius produced NFL Radio Channel is on Direct TV. I think he said the channel 200 range.

EDIT:

DTV broadcast's Sirius' Red Zone, schedule"

Program Title - Red Zone
Click on a column heading to sort by date and time or channel.
Date/Time Channel
Sun Nov 06 01:00 pm NFL 212
Sun Nov 06 09:00 pm NFL 212

I had the same problem, then I knocked it off on the floor. I was in a hurry so I set it up on top of my book case, when I turned it on I forgot that I had moved it, but a strong signal came in so I left it the way it was. That's been over two months now and I have not had a loss of signal since. It is on the case with the base laying flat and the antenna pushed down flat about a quarter inch above the base, facing southwest. Give it a try, you never know.

Thanks for the recommendation! At my last house I had strong signal on the TV and it never dropped out. I guess I will keep trying but I have not found a good spot at the new house and its becoming nerve racking.

your old house was most likely a lot closer to a sirius repeater than where you are now,it is the same situation with xm,if you are to far from a xm repeater you will get a poor signal if any at all. the best fix to this problem is a good sirius outdoor antenna mounted out side slightly facing the north west sky.
you can purchase a sirius antenna extension cable from $39.00 to $49.00 ,they come in 50ft. sections so this should do the trick if you need to legthen your antenna cable.once you get that antenna out side in the clear your signal problems will go away.

i am a sirius satellite radio dealer,and i have installed many sirius units in homes with outside antenna's and the signal quality was great.and customer was very happy,which is the main goal. :)

your old house was most likely a lot closer to a sirius repeater than where you are now,it is the same situation with xm,if you are to far from a xm repeater you will get a poor signal if any at all. the best fix to this problem is a good sirius outdoor antenna mounted out side slightly facing the north west sky.
you can purchase a sirius antenna extension cable from $39.00 to $49.00 ,they come in 50ft. sections so this should do the trick if you need to lengthen your antenna cable.once you get that antenna out side in the clear your signal problems will go away.

i am a sirius satellite radio dealer,and i have installed many sirius units in homes with outside antenna's and the signal quality was great.and customer was very happy,which is the main goal. :)

Beagle said:
you can purchase a sirius antenna extension cable from $39.00 to $49.00 ,they come in 50ft. sections so this should do the trick if you need to lengthen your antenna cable.once you get that antenna out side in the clear your signal problems will go away.

I am in the same town so that would be strange but you never know hehehe. The strange thing is in my old house I got crappy signal in the window and then when I moved the antenna into the darkened home theater with blackouts over any windows the signal was great. *shrug* almost the same deal with the new house except the new house isn't constant it drops after awhile.

What is the connection on the end of the antenna's? Its almost like a coaxial connection but different. Where can I get the outdoor antennas and wire with these connections?

Same problem w/my antenna. could not get a good signal in window. 2 of 3 bars at mose. kept dropping in and out every second. got tired of it and cancelled my subscription. :mad:

after listening to it at work and missing it, i decided to give it one more shot. same problem, put outside, still didn't work. :confused:

Out of desperation, sat on top of tv which sits high up, pretty close to ceiling.
BAM! PERFECT! signal never drops out. so happy i can finally enjoy the radio. I also ordered the extension cable that has the signal amplifier on it so i don't have wire stretching from the radio across the window to the tv.

Maybe i can get 3 bars instead of two, although two soumds perfect and never drops out. So i say try putting on tiop of the tv:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)