Sirius raising prices!

This is breaking the merger agreement that Sirius made with the DOJ and FCC in their hostile takeover of XM :( more like raping of XM :mad:

It is not that can not afford to pay the increase, I can. It the principle of SiriusXM in finding a loophole and breaking the merger agreement to raise the price years before they agreed too :eek:

(I have 2 extra subscriptions)

Dear XXXX XXXXX,
Save with Longer Subscription Plans.
Depending on the Subscription Package and Plan you choose for each radio, you could enjoy an average annual savings of more than $90.00 with two radios on an Annual Plan if you act now. Save even more with two- and three-year plans. Rest assured, any credits on the account from payments made earlier will be applied to your renewal - you'll only be charged the difference.

I said it before, I'll say it again- why would ANYONE be stupid enough to pay for a three year subscription from a company that will be gone within this year?
They have never made a profit, are almost a billion $ in debt, they have loans coming due and their only hope is to find someone willing to loan them more money to pay off the loans are coming due. In the credit market we have today, no one will loan them a nickel, so why would anyone buy a three year subscription?

Raise your hand if your D*/E* bill hasn't gone up within the last two years.

Come on people. I don't like price increases either, but it's pretty much an inevitable thing with most any product, good or service.

I'm coming towards the end of my 4 year pre-paid XM subscription that was $10/month. After destroying the XM lineup and what made the XM channels good, and now killing internet access... I won't have many reasons to keep my subscription. my commute is only 2 miles each way... BBC radio is so terrible in the morning I'm lucky if I get one song on that trip between the DJ blabbering about nothing. my phone stores up to 8GB of data, and I can listen to pandora online. there's not much to convince me to pay more for less service. so much for merging to compete against online radio and such

I said it before, I'll say it again- why would ANYONE be stupid enough to pay for a three year subscription from a company that will be gone within this year?
They have never made a profit, are almost a billion $ in debt, they have loans coming due and their only hope is to find someone willing to loan them more money to pay off the loans are coming due. In the credit market we have today, no one will loan them a nickel, so why would anyone buy a three year subscription?

let them pay, THEY WILL GET BURNED,there not dealing with reality only fantasy hopeing they stay in business,NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Actually, the biggest shareholder has the bucks to fund them. But will he? When asked, he said something to the effect "Let's hope it doesn't come to that."

OK I just got the renewal email. However it looks like Sirius's math is off a bit.

Secondary Radio
To Lock In Your Rate
Plus Free Online
Listening
Pricing does not include tax. $83.88 $176.76 $251.64

The 2 year renewal for a 2nd radio SHOULD be $167.76 ($6.99 x 24) NOT $176.76

FAIL!

Raise your hand if your D*/E* bill hasn't gone up within the last two years.

Come on people. I don't like price increases either, but it's pretty much an inevitable thing with most any product, good or service.

Hand raised. E* customer for the past four years. My bill is $10 higher today than it was when I signed up, and that's only because I've added HD programming.

Price increases are *not* an inevitable thing. Look at the fed's concern over deflation. The recession/depression we're in right now is forcing many companies to lower prices. Not raise them. Satellite radio is no different.

Sirius/XM need to dramatically LOWER their prices. They need more subscribers, period. They need a lot more people sending them a check every month, but with each person paying a bit less.

By raising rates, they're just ticking off their existing customers. Me included. Their costs are fixed. The birds are in the sky and it doesn't cost Sirius/XM anything to deliver their signal to more subscribers. During this difficult financial time, everyone is looking at where their money goes and any sort of rate increase will be viewed in the poorest light possible.

I'm not so sure their costs are fixed. They may have to pay for some material based on the number of customers they have. Anyone know for sure?

I subbed to XM, never cared for Sirius- I have it with DISH. When they merged my only reason to listen to XM , X-country, was cut. If my wife and Dad did not enjoy the service I drop it now. Still may after I tell my wife of rate increase. Back to MP3s and NPR.

Sirius/XM need to dramatically LOWER their prices. They need more subscribers, period. They need a lot more people sending them a check every month, but with each person paying a bit less.

I haven't looked at the numbers, so I could be way off base here, and if I am, I apologize.

With that said...

I think SiriusXM has the subscribers, they have 20 million or something like that. The issue is they need capital and they need it soon, considering they have a massive amount of debt that is due soon. Therefore they need money now. I think this is the main reason for the price increase, they want people to lock in for a number of years so they can get that money up front to pay their debt.

You are all missing one very important point.....

Thanks to the credit freeze, they have three major refinancing hurdles to get by this year, as they have expiring bond notes totalling about a billion dollars, otherwise they file for bankruptcy. Their current plan is to try and issue stock to replace the bonds, but the stock is down to 11 cents and who in their right mind would accept this kind of deal as they will dilute the stock another 90% lower to cover this debt obligation.

They don't WANT to go Chapter 11, as many would cancel service and no one would buy new radios (look at what happened to Circuit City when they had the stench of death on THEM.... a 50% drop in sales that killed them permanently.)

Yes, it sucks, but I'd rather pay more now than lose the service entirely. Yes, I can use my Zune (I know, *snicker*) in my car now, but I like the live sports games, and several other channels. I live in the burbs so wifi radio will never get to me and HD radio is a joke as they don't broadcast too far outside of the major cities.

If you REALLY don't want the increase, buy a year or two in advance to dodge it for now and keep the free streaming. You'd probably wind up spiking their cash flow and increasing the chances that they stick around for at least a few more years in their current form. Unfortunately, I know that many can't come up with that much cash up front in this economy (believe, I feel your pain... I'm in construction and on an aggregate level nationwide new projects are down 75% from last year at this time..... As far as GDP goes If 2% down is a recession, and 10% down is a depression, what is 75%? The freaking apocalypse.).

It all boils down to numbers.... Will more people get ticked and cancel, or will more play quiet sheep and absorb the price increase? We'll see.

The main problem is that XM Sirius is ticking off their hardcore faithful fans.... First they kill many of their favorite channels, now they jack up the price and/or cut services....

I'll just wind up ditching the online component that I rarely use. I have a boombox which will go in the window again (I can get ALL the channels that way, and not miss many of the others that the online program doesn't carry). I have 4 radios on my account so I'll get stuck with another $6 a month, but I'll probably just suck it up and deal with it.

Feel free to call and vent, but they are in a desperate situation just trying to survive. They will be in Charlie mode (better to beg forgiveness for a decision than to ask permission) until they get through the next 12 months, assuming they can.

Wow I was debating going back with Sirius for the home but according to some of the posters Sirius XM may not be here in long term. In a way it's too bad cause we need an alternative to FM. I think for now am just going to stream on line with aol radio powered by cbs radio. I do have Sirius with E was just listening to classic rewind with Kayla and she didn't sound very upbeat even magic matt this morning was not as upbeat as he usually is. How soon do you guys think we will know when Sirus XM tells everybody there done? I can't imagine them staying i buisness this long. I do have an hd radio picked out so i may go that route as well since we have a good lineup here in our area. Max.

As I recall, when it was first available online streaming had a $2.99 a month charge. Then I noticed the charge went away. I rarely have used it and only had it as a back-up if my reception went on the fritz. That used to happen quite a bit until I changed my Antenna a while back. I will just opt out of the service.

The second set is another story as I have it for my Stilleto which I only use when I travel (not that often). I may just cut it out as for the few times a year I use it, makes it over $100 a year. Or, maybe I will buy a home dock for it and eliminate my sportster from the deal.

With this announcement maybe the stock will dip into single digits.

XM Price Increase

Hey folks!

What a time for them to increase their prices, in the middle of a huge recession. I too listen to XM online a lot, but I guess that since it's part of my D*TV Subscription I can live without it. I'm turning off two other receivers (Car 2 and RV), and discontinuing the subscription I have through my home audio system. For everyone who was wanting to know the scoop on the price increase by XM Radio, here's a copy of their email to me:

XM Radio
reply-to XM Radio
to <email deleted>
date Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM
subject Immediate Action Required Regarding Your XM Service

Important Information Regarding Your XM Service - Immediate Action Required before March 10, 2009 to Lock In Your Current Rate

Account Number: <removed>
Dear <removed>,

We are offering select subscribers like you, who have multiple subscriptions, a special opportunity to lock in the current low rate on their additional radio subscriptions.

On March 11, 2009, the monthly rate for your discounted subscriptions will increase from $6.99 per month to $8.99 per month upon renewal.* You can lock in the current discounted monthly rate of $6.99 by choosing longer-term plans - but only if you act quickly.

And if you renew now, you can continue to listen online, FREE for the length of term you choose. Effective March 11, 2009, the online listening platform will be upgraded to a higher quality digital audio and no longer included as part of a base subscription at no charge.

Save with Longer Subscription Plans.
Depending on the Subscription Package and Plan you choose for each radio, you could enjoy an average annual savings of more than $90.00 with two radios on an Annual Plan if you act now. Save even more with two- and three-year plans. Rest assured, any credits on the account from payments made earlier will be applied to your renewal - you'll only be charged the difference.

Just Call 1-866-705-2846 to Lock In & Save.
Everything Worth Listening To Is Now On XM

If you want to call/fax/write to voice your complaints, here's XM's contact info:

XM Radio HQ and Programming Center
1500 Eckington Place, NE
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 380-4000
Fax: (202) 380-4500

Most of the XM playlists are now over on Slacker.com, when the iPhone app was made available I sampled it, and liked it so much that I ponied up for the $47.88 a year plus subscription plan to eliminate commercials (one per half hour) and have unlimited skips and favoring/banning songs. Slacker is what XM should be, personalized music radio, songs you like more often, songs you don't like will never play again if you choose. And you don't need slacker's hardware to listen to the service since they have iPhone and Blackberry apps for free. All the talk content I listened to on XM (C-Span Radio/BBC World Service/FOX News Radio and Leo Laporte the Tech Guy) is available on other 'free' apps on the iPhone as well.

I dumped XM a long time ago when Music Lab and Luna went away. I've been looking all this time for a suitable replacement, Slacker is that replacement.

good price on renewal, why?

I received a post card in the mail yesterday telling me that I needed to update the billing information on my account (credit card expiration date on a card) to avoid interruption of service. Why would my service be interrupted? I don't run out until April. It shouldn't need to be renewed until then and I didn't want them to auto-renew me anyway. I don't recall agreeing or opting into automatic renewal or ever being notified about automatic renewal. I have had the service for three years or longer and manually renewed until now. So I say "good," it makes my decision to leave that much easier.

I am NOT going to renew. But they better not cut my service off prior to the renewal date.

XM radio has gone WAY downhill since the merger and elimination of my favorite station. This price increase could not have come at a worse time with my own situation (feelings towards XM and the merger) and the economy the way it is for just about everyone. What are they thinking?

I have two radios and my wife and I occasionally listen to the online version. I am not paying $3 a month for something I may not use for three months and then use a lot for a few days or weeks and then don't use again for a while. At the very least they should give you like 10-20 hours a month free and then charge you $3 a month if you go over that for people that want it when they want it but hardly use it. A-holes!

I'm canceling soon!

Per my earlier comment (above), I was going to cancel and called them yesterday. I actually received a snail mail mailing with a pretty good deal for the first radio, including the online and $6.99 for the 2nd radio if I acted by 3-10 or whatever the date is around the corner where the price increase is supposed to hit.

So I called the number on the mailing and got a disconnected message. I thought, "this is Vonage, this has happened before with toll free numbers" and picked up my cell phone. Same thing, number disconnected. So they published a marketing number that is either disconnected or was a misprint. So I called the number I have used in previous calls and it worked.

I hit zero and got somebody almost right away. I told her about the offer and that I really planned on canceling if they cannot give me a steal. Well, she said that the deal on the paper was no good and before I could get mad, she said they had a better offer.

I asked a few questions. "What if I renew and you guys go under? Is my money lost, partial refund, what? She told me they are told to say that no matter what happens there will be no interruption in service. OK, whatever... so by my renewing it is taking a chance. But anything you do now days seems to be taking a chance.

So she gave me a rate of about $100 less than I paid a year ago for 1 year, 2 radios, and online access. She also merged my renewal dates, which were for some reason still about a month off. Now they will renew together, a year from today.

So, I think they are desperate and offering big deals in retention. I don't get it. They jack the rate way up and then offer discounts deeper than last year. Maybe they are hearing the feedback from those of us that are unhappy with the music changes.

I basically only listen to talk now and get my fair share of commercials. But I think the lower price is fair. I paid $12.xx broken down per month for two radios and the online. We'll give it one more year and then revisit both service and offered plans. What really saved me as a customer, since I lost my favorite station The System, was Fox News Talk. I enjoy Brian and the Judge, John Gibson, Tom Sullivan, etc, while in the car. Especially now, with all the uncertainty in the economy. I hardly ever turn on the music channels anymore. The System was so much better than Area, but seriously, I have to let it go. My psychiatrist tells me just "let it go, it isn't worth it." So, I will let it go and move on. I'll heal with time and get over the music situation. Maybe talk will help heal me up. And heck, I still have tons of MP3 CDs, playable in my car, with tons of good stuff if I want music and cannot stand whatever XM is playing.

Anybody else 99% sure they were going to cancel end up changing their mind? For me, it wasn't me being suckered into it. I've spent the last few months rediscovering talk radio since the music channels merged and found value in XM again. I really would have canceled, had they not given me a good deal, but I was sort of hoping they'd talk me into staying with a deal.

Now is the time to call for a deal with bankruptcy talk and this disturbing economy. I wouldn't renew too far ahead (3 years), but 1 year perhaps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)