Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This week Sirius took away the free online streaming.

I knew this was coming thats not the issue.

The issue is an email I got from Sirius XM that stated the following...

And if you renew now, you can continue to listen online, FREE for the length of term you choose. Effective March 11, 2009, the online listening platform will be upgraded to a higher quality digital audio and no longer included as part of a base subscription at no charge.

With all that has happened over the past few weeks I felt confident that Sirius XM will stick around I ordered a Lifetime subscription to XM with the Best of Sirius included... This cost me $499 to do. Part of the reason why I did this was so I could continue getting the online streaming and I was also excited about the higher quality digital audio.

So today I log in and try listening online. I connect and get the 32k audio, I click on options to select the new 128k stream and am denied telling me I must sign up for the $2.99 a month streaming service.

I call XM and am told that people who ordered the lifetime service get free online listening however they are stuck at the old 32k streams and if I want the 128k streams I must pay $2.99 a month to access them.

Now let me quote the email from XM again...

And if you renew now, you can continue to listen online, FREE for the length of term you choose. Effective March 11, 2009, the online listening platform will be upgraded to a higher quality digital audio and no longer included as part of a base subscription at no charge.

Where does it say that I will be stuck with the older streaming? It just says the online listening will be upgraded to the new higher quality digital audio.

The CSR told me that I misread the email.

When I signed up for the Lifetime subscription, this was even a feature they told me I would be getting when I signed up for it.

I feel lied to and cheated.

Has anyone else run into this yet?

I am still getting the crappy 32k streams and my subscription runs out in October. 32k WMA SQ is terrible. You need at least 64k but AAC streaming is so much better. I barely listened to the online radio anyway. I can get much more online like Di.fm subscription which blows away the pathetic crappy Sirius XM dance channels.

If they are only giving the people grandfathered in the 32k stream, I think that email is totally misleading. I almost renewed for another year until they killed the Starplayr and was assuming that the upgraded streams would be a part of that "lock in" they were pushing.

Yep I signed up for one year to keep the streaming, since I use that more often than the actual radio. But I also noticed that the streaming is still 32k. I thought they were doing away with the 32k stream all together, apparently not. I think the email is misleading too, as I thought I would be getting 128k streaming after March 11th.

I think you guys misread the whole point the e-mail. It says if you renew before March 11th, YOU WILL STILL KEEP online listening for no charge. It does not mention anything of you getting upgraded for free. Although it would have been nice to do something for those of us that have been with them for several years...

I think that before you got the lifetime sub scott, you should have confirmed it with a CSR. A few days ago I tried calling and was on hold for 20 mins and decided to give up and renew online, so I understand if you didn't wait. For me the online listening was just a perk, and rarely used. I just use my radio and boombox when I'm not in the car.

Oh and now that I resubbed to SD on dish, I get sirius from that as well. (former Absolute)

Last edited:
I was afraid that it was ambiguous for a reason. I'm like Scott and renewed but mainly to lock in a lower rate as well as add my new factory car radio.
The upgraded service on Sirius online has been around for awhile. Sot the ad's logic implied, online listening ends 3/11 and will switch to pay only because of the total transition to the "cd" quality service UNLESS you order now.

But Sirius CSR albeit in the US is 10x worse than Dish from anywhere. At least they answer the phone and computer prompts actually get you to a human.

I agree with Scott, We were misled. I bought into the 1 year price to make sure I got the year of on-line for free and I was told by a CSR when I originally signed up 1 month or so ago, that they would be upgrading the on-line radio and that in order to get it for free I would have to pay in advance for the service, otherwise I would have to pay 2.99 a month. To me sounds like a scam...just another way for all these companies to steal from you. Thats the only reason I signed up for the whole year, not much of a saving by signing up for a year...(get one month free) (big deal) So I feal I have also been misled and plan on calling to complain. Bill

This week Sirius took away the free online streaming.

I knew this was coming thats not the issue.

The issue is an email I got from Sirius XM that stated the following...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

With all that has happened over the past few weeks I felt confident that Sirius XM will stick around I ordered a Lifetime subscription to XM with the Best of Sirius included... This cost me $499 to do. Part of the reason why I did this was so I could continue getting the online streaming and I was also excited about the higher quality digital audio.

So today I log in and try listening online. I connect and get the 32k audio, I click on options to select the new 128k stream and am denied telling me I must sign up for the $2.99 a month streaming service.

I call XM and am told that people who ordered the lifetime service get free online listening however they are stuck at the old 32k streams and if I want the 128k streams I must pay $2.99 a month to access them.

Now let me quote the email from XM again...

[/FONT][/COLOR]

Where does it say that I will be stuck with the older streaming? It just says the online listening will be upgraded to the new higher quality digital audio.

The CSR told me that I misread the email.

When I signed up for the Lifetime subscription, this was even a feature they told me I would be getting when I signed up for it.

I feel lied to and cheated.

Has anyone else run into this yet?

Here ya go You need to learn sirius/xm double speak

Effective March 11, 2009, the online listening platform will be upgraded to a higher quality digital audio and no longer included as part of a base subscription at no charge.

Just an update...

It appears that Sirius XM is having a problem and everyone who is paying for 128k streams is stuck at 32k. The only ones getting 128k streams are those signing up for Demo accounts.

I have been told that lifetime subscribers do get the 128k stream and they are working to correct this issue. (I don't know why they dont post this on the login screen when you go to listen to the online service, it would get rid of a lot of mad users if they knew what was going on. :)

Just an update...

I have been told that lifetime subscribers do get the 128k stream and they are working to correct this issue. (I don't know why they dont post this on the login screen when you go to listen to the online service, it would get rid of a lot of mad users if they knew what was going on. :)

I just confirmed this with a service rep on the phone. Lifetime subscribers do get the 128k stream for free. In order to start using the 128k stream now (as they haven't switched everyone's account yet), the rep offered to sign me up for the 128k ($2.99/mo) and provide a credit on my account for the next 2 months. She indicated that the service should be switched by the end of the 2 months and I should never be charged the fee.

Just an update...

It appears that Sirius XM is having a problem and everyone who is paying for 128k streams is stuck at 32k. The only ones getting 128k streams are those signing up for Demo accounts.

Wonder how many lifetimers will signup for the $2.99 a month and not really have to. Scott thanks for the update, now I feel better about buying the lifetime (and nice move on the stock this week!!!)

Stupid i use it everyonce in a while im not paying for it one more reason to drop it, i can get plenty of free online music thats way better why would i waste my money with a backassward in the hole 2 bill$ company, with that mel guy thats doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground, GO BACK TO CLEARCHANNEL AND STOP RUINING EVERYTHING GOOD.

Stupid i use it everyonce in a while im not paying for it one more reason to drop it, i can get plenty of free online music thats way better why would i waste my money with a backassward in the hole 2 bill$ company, with that mel guy thats doesnt know his ass from a hole in the ground, GO BACK TO CLEARCHANNEL AND STOP RUINING EVERYTHING GOOD.

Mel came from Viacom...home of MTV (Music Televison), VH1 (Video Hits 1) and CMT (Country Music Television). These channels, much like Sirius/XM have strayed so far from their intended use that they have become something I can do without.

I would not pay extra for it, if it's free with my subscription fine......

If I want free online music I use the iTunes Radio. The bitrate is better on many of the channels and there are a ton of them. Heck there are over 30 stations with Xmas music year round if that's what you are into?

Splicing Sirius Antenna?

I have a Model#: SC-H1 Sirius tuner hooked to my Onkyo 605 with the antenna running under the carpet, 10-12', then thru the wall with less than 10' to play with. Antenna is hinged type, and I want to splice it with a roof mount. Any one had any luck splicing small coax cable?
oxie

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)