Skyvision DSR410 x4package deals

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Picture quality should not really be an issue. Those of you familiar with Star Choice can confirm that they generally have far superior resolution than any of the small dish systems in either country, and it depends upon the pickup point as well as "generation" of signal more than any other factors. For example, many Canadian cable/satellite channels do their first generation into the universe via Star Choice, and it can be spectacular compared to "average" signals. I am not saying that HITS signals are superb across the board, but when compared to other small dish systems, few should have much to complain about with regards to picture quality.

As I stated earlier today, a decision has been made at this time to limit sales of the programming packages found on the Skyvision website and actually sold through SRL's facility, to the DSR-410 receivers shipped from Skyvision.
This is not meant to discriminate against the owners of other Motorola receivers, but is because of the logistics in keeping the databases of Motorola produced receivers straight. Long-timers might remember when Star Choice first introduced the DSR-921, a close and exact cousin to the DSR-920. The 921 was sold in Canada, and the 920 was sold in the U.S. The DSR-920 was set up on paper to be sold only to U.S. subscribers for U.S. programming, and the DSR-921 was to be used for reception of Star Choice as well as a vehicle for Canadians to legally purchase C-band programming through Canadian distributors. Since then, there has been some cross border movement of these receivers, and new owners have often found an obstacle when trying to use a "Canadian" designated receiver for U.S. programming, and vice versa. This is because of the master database that separates the "owners" of the receivers; whether it be in Star Choice inventory, HITS inventory, or a general purpose receiver such as the DSR-920, 922 or even the 905. Each has a certain universe of channels that can be subscribed to from certain geographic locations. You cannot simply call up a programmer and demand that your Digicipher 2 box of whatever stripe be allowed to subscribe to anything.
Rules have been set up for a number of different reasons, and things cannot be easily changed. If there was an easier process to allow "other" receivers than the DSR-410 to be activated, it would certainly be a done deal. But it takes multiple phone calls and cross checking with serial and unit ID numbers from all that have been previously involved with an individual receiver, before approval can be granted. Originally a 40.00 charge was to be assessed that might allow this to happen, but it has since been determined to be a logistics nightmare. Skyvision is offering an exclusive programming arrangement through Satellite Receivers Ltd (SRL) and they are the gatekeeper for activation of all receivers. Those are the rules, as it stands today.

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to send me a private Email or one to the address below.

I feel as if someone just peed on my Cheerios. :( I don't want to spend $129 for a DSR410 receiver when I already own three that are in perfectly working order. Also Skyvision's programming has always been more expensive than from other programmers.

Plus since HITS was setup as to provide CATV companies with a secondary digital tier that they could offer their customers it does not include popular channels such as ESPN, Disney, Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, Lifetime, Cartoon Network, CNN and many others.

I'm sorry, but without these popular channels and only being allowed to use a receiver purchased by Skyvision I do not see this as an alternative from other programming sources, but rather an addition to your current supplier. Plus what happens when Skyvision runs out of receivers? :)

Other channels NOT offered

A&E
ABC Family
Animal Planet
CNBC
CMT
DIY
Court TV
FOX News
FX...

On the plus side movie channels such as HBO & Cinemax, Showtime & TMC, and Starz & Encore can be ordered without buying a basic package like DirecTV, Dish Network and CATV requires. But needing to purchase a $129 used receiver just to be able to do this I just don't know.

ya had me worried ...

...for about a minute, there!

Thanks so much for the list of programming that's not available
I get all those unsupported channels now, and don't watch a one of them.

Not having the Speed channel would have been a deal breaker for me.
So, we all have our hot buttons.

This appears to be a business decision to offer support for certain receivers at this time.
Someone obviously got a load, refurbished 'em, and is making money.
That's the way of capitalism, and I can't begrudge anyone a chance to make a buck.

As for running out any time soon, I wouldn't hold my breath and think I'd get my unsupported receiver on line.
The whole closed-end idea of the DCII receivers may suck, but the same is true with Dish and BEV receivers.
They too are identical, but only work on the one specified system.
The difference is, everyone understands that situation.

When someone buys up a warehouse full of old Voom receivers, you may see a second wave like this one. :)

Just ordered my reciever

I just broke down and ordered the X4 package from sky view. For 129 dollars why not? I have been looking for a reason to fire Direct Tv and this is it.90% of my viewing is from the networks on my OTA which is real HD. The stuff I watch on DTV is very little. This gives me some filler channels to watch for $20 a month compared to $75 a month.I give kudos to them for doing this,it's about time somebody gave the little dish people a run for their money. Yes they said they have a EPG also. Wish me luck! Also if anybody in SE Florida can see G-1 let me know so I can download maps for my 920 and use it also. I will stay with this thread and let you know the outcome.

Im with you comptech, considering what people fork over to dish/direct every month, 129dollars is pocket change. I'd like to see this take off, and plan on ordering one too. Maybe it can grow to include more channels, other receivers etc, later but right now it has to get a start. I hope skyvision gets rich enough on this to stick TV ads on all the same channels that are running Directv and Dishnetwork commercials, they need some competition.

Turbosat, my feelings exactly. I am sure if this takes off more chanells will be added. I just hope they will advertise this in a way people will see it and subscribe. At the same time I hope they don,t get too big and be just like the other guys. But for now it seems like a great alternitive. i should know by weekend as they said 3 to 4 days shipping and I have a 1.2 meter dish just waiting for it!

Hey Tidi don't you work for NPS? Is NPS going to offer anything like this?

I think subscription KU could work.

No I don't but I do believe NPS is going with there IPTV, and I guess SRL is working with Skyvision as both company's know 4dtv like everything else will not last forever.

There's Broadway...

does not include popular channels such as ESPN, Disney, Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, Lifetime, Cartoon Network, CNN and many others.

And then there's Off Broadway...

ESPN Classic, Nick 2/Nick GAS/Noggin, MTV2/MTV Hits, VH1 Classic/VH1 Country/VH1 Soul, LMN, Toon Disney, Current TV and many others.

Both for the purpose of your entertainment, but the latter coming at a reduced price :)

There's Broadway...

And then there's Off Broadway...

ESPN Classic, Nick 2/Nick GAS/Noggin, MTV2/MTV Hits, VH1 Classic/VH1 Country/VH1 Soul, LMN, Toon Disney, Current TV and many others.

Both for the purpose of your entertainment, but the latter coming at a reduced price :)

Yes, I guess you're right. $129 for a receiver isn't that bad and it does offer more choice. Like others had said too, if this takes off other channels will become available.

HITS has more channels on X4 than most know about. There's Soapnet, Fuse, Style, Fox Business Channel, Fox Reality. Then there's In Demand PPV , Playboy Directors Cut and others. They seem to add more every so often. If this thing really flies they may open up these to us through the 410 and 4DTV's. SRL IMO has always seemed to have a better relationship with Comcast and there HITS platform than NPS. So more power to them to make this work, seems like Primestar is kinda being resurrected. :)

Last edited:
I called Skyvision's programming number (800-500-9268) and received Secret Encounters Adult phone service. I called again to be sure I dialed the correct number and received the same message. I even called on my work phone. :(

The number I dialed is the number shown when looking at the 410 programming packages. I dialed three times and got the adult number each time. I then called their hardware number and asked about the DSR-410 receiver. They confirmed that you MUST use their receiver to order 410 programming. However, they said to hang onto my DSR-410 receivers, because they may be able to activate them in the future.

I then asked about the programming number and he said no it is not an adult service phone number. I then said, but I dialed 3 times and got the same adult service. I read the number to him and he said yes it is correct. Perhaps I left out the "8" by mistake and dialed a 900 number since we must dial 9 to get out of the building. However, I dialed 3 times. :)

I am going for it! Ordered it yesterday. Programming Center offers pick 10 packages, and the digital packages offered by skyvision looks good. The other 2 providers place the channels i want in their upper tiers and cost an arm and a leg. (bbc america and fox soccer channel.) I was watching x4 on my old primestar dish and an old 4dtv 920 when the battery went dead. So i know the signal is great. I think this is a great move.

Thanks skyvision and who ever else made this possible.

I talked to Del Jose the president of Skyvision (the guy who put all of this together) yesterday. And will be interviewing him tonight for a future SatelliteGuys podcast episode.

I am very excited to have real subscription choices made available to us. I believe that there could be a big market for this type of service. I just hope that we can get the word out about this service so that enough subscribe to make it a viable service (and so they can expand the offerings in the future)

For me the big reason subscription C Band died was..

1) GI tried going into 4DTV too soon. People were not willing to make an investment in 4DTV when they didn't know what programming (and at what price) they would get.

2) No one wanted a 10 foot dish in their yard anymore, especially since they could get their programming from a small 18 inch dish.

3) C band dishes were to much a pain to maintain, from blown servo motors, to bad lnbs. C band was a pain.

With subscription KU while the Dish is slightly larger then a DBS Dish, the prices are cheaper then subscription DBS. The dish is stationary, no motor needed.

I really hope Skyvision succeeds in this rollout. :)

I talked to Del Jose the president of Skyvision (the guy who put all of this together) yesterday. And will be interviewing him tonight for a future SatelliteGuys podcast episode.

I am very excited to have real subscription choices made available to us. I believe that there could be a big market for this type of service. I just hope that we can get the word out about this service so that enough subscribe to make it a viable service (and so they can expand the offerings in the future)

For me the big reason subscription C Band died was..

1) GI tried going into 4DTV too soon. People were not willing to make an investment in 4DTV when they didn't know what programming (and at what price) they would get.

2) No one wanted a 10 foot dish in their yard anymore, especially since they could get their programming from a small 18 inch dish.

3) C band dishes were to much a pain to maintain, from blown servo motors, to bad lnbs. C band was a pain.

With subscription KU while the Dish is slightly larger then a DBS Dish, the prices are cheaper then subscription DBS. The dish is stationary, no motor needed.

I really hope Skyvision succeeds in this rollout. :)

I know when mine gets here tomorrow and i set it up i have at least a dozen friends that want to see it. So if it is as good as it seems and more channels are added they will ditch their little dishes and join the bandwagon too. Then they will show their friends and on down the line.Skyvision give it your best there are alot of people waiting for a service like this,but you will have to add some top tier channels. Just don't get too greedy and watch the subs roll in!

Just finished my interview with Del. Look for it in the next SatelliteGuys podcast.

Del has some plans on expanding the service but first he needs to make sure there is a market for this type of service.

I think there is a market for this service. :)

Comptech when you get yours is it possible to get some screen shots of the guide, the interface and the DMX interface? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)