Status
Please reply by conversation.

kcoutlaw

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2013
Missouri
Hello guys,
I am new here, so I hope I am posting this to the correct place.
I am going to convert a DTV Slimline to a FTA.
I have a receiver picked out, and have found the bracket and scalar, but I would like to know from folks who have done this which LNB seems to work best.
I would like to have a HD C/KU Band LNB.

Thanks !

kcoutlaw

Welcome to the site.

Several have had some success at converting a Slimline for Ku, but I would not even attempt it for C-Band. You really need an 8-foot or larger for C-band but if you you want to go smaller you can get away with a 1.2M(4 footer) with a c/ku and scalar set-up, but you will be very limited on C-band at that. If you are new to this hobby and money is tight I would just get you a good PLL ku only lnbf and put that on the slimline for now to get your feet wet and then go from there.

Is there a reason for going with the slimline? Do you live in an apartment or something similar? If not go with a bigger dish if you can afford one. If not there are lots out there in the wild still, by just looking around and knocking on a door and asking. Lots of times people will give them to you for free to get rid of them.

Thank you very much for the reply !
The reason I am using a Slimline is that it is already on the house :)
Also, as you said, just getting my feet wet right now. If I like FTA I will probably upgrade to a larger dish. More than likely, a 4'. Don't want to get a BUD right now as I will probably be moving in the next 6 months or so.
I want a C/KU LNB so when I upgrade I don't have to buy another LNB for the additional band.

Can you advise which LNB might be best?
Another stupid question, I see LNB and LNBF. What is the difference between the two?

Not sure if this forum allows you to recommend manufactures, so you can PM if you like.
Again, Thank you for your help ;)

As far as LNBF I would recommend this one or this one.

LNB stands for Low-noise block downconverter. They also need a Feed horn to operate. Some have this built in so it is called a LNBF others the LNB is separate from the Feed horn.

Reactions: abazaba
ke4est-
Thanks for the links !!
I was really looking at a Dual Band LNBF, unless of coarse that would not work for my application for some reason.

Thanks for clearing up my fog on the LNB's.

also look up my post on how to use a slimline mod to work with FTA ku band.

dan rose

Thanks Dan !
I did read your post's. I see you used a DN LNB. Unfortunately, don't have one of those laying around, so going to get a KU LNB and see how that goes.

I will try to get back once things are up and running and post my results.

ke4est-
Thanks for the links !!
I was really looking at a Dual Band LNBF, unless of coarse that would not work for my application for some reason.

Thanks for clearing up my fog on the LNB's.

Getting a dual band LNBF would be wasting your money on that dish, like I said you are not going to get C-Band on it..:)

Not only would a C/KU dual band not give C-band reception, but these LNBFs are notorious for marginal KU-band reception. It might be fun to EXPERIMENT just for bragging rights, but not anything that would be suitable for reliable KU reception.

Even though a regular KU LNBF is not designed to properly illuminate the shape of the Slimline, most any KU linear polarity LNBF will work for the conversion. A PLL type may help improve reception on weaker transponders, but it is not necessary.

Here is a thread where I put a Slimline on a motor:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...-SL2-LNBF-on-SG-2100-motor?highlight=slimline

Don't know if that LNBF that I used is available anywhere anymore, but it is a bolt-on, no adaption required.

phlatwound-
Thanks for the link.
I did check out the post's. Very nice project and you did a good job on it.
However, if I like FTA, then what I will likely do is get a motorized 1m or larger dish and just transfer the LNB over to it.

Not only would a C/KU dual band not give C-band reception, but these LNBFs are notorious for marginal KU-band reception. It might be fun to EXPERIMENT just for bragging rights, but not anything that would be suitable for reliable KU reception.

Even though a regular KU LNBF is not designed to properly illuminate the shape of the Slimline, most any KU linear polarity LNBF will work for the conversion. A PLL type may help improve reception on weaker transponders, but it is not necessary.

Thanks for the tip !
Think I have decided to try a PLL LNBF. I have had a couple of recommendations on those.

I want to thank all of your for your help and suggestions.
It has saved me a lot of time trying to figure this stuff out.

Guess all I need to know now is which bracket I need.
My dish has just the regular rectangular metal arm, without the wider end.
I have seen two brackets, which will work for my dish arm? Or would either one work ?
and
images

Go with that first one you posted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Ok Folks,
I have ordered my equipment for my DTV Slimline to FTA Conversion project.
This will be KU band only, and will be focused on only one Sat to begin with. Probably Galaxy 19.

The following will be the equipment I will be using.

RECEIVER- X2 HD Premium Special Edition
LNB- KU Band PLL Standard Linear FTA LNBF
Universal LNBF Bracket.
DTV Slimline Dish

All my equipment should arrive the first / middle of next week.
I will attempt to get everything going by the weekend and post my results.

Forum Admin- Since this post no longer is regarding C Band, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate area.
Just let me know where it ends up, lol.

Last edited:
x2? careful, awesome box with big issues.....oxymoron there.
is ok, as long as you are using it for one lnb.
MY x2 does not play well with my switch config . the lnb power has issues (dunno if all X2 have same problem) . My other boxes ALL work the switches just fine.
i have not tried the nov 6 firmware yet to see if that is / has been improved.
it does work good when i use it to blindscan a single lnb hooked up at a time.

Last edited:
x2? careful, awesome box with big issues.....oxymoron there.
is ok, as long as you are using it for one lnb.
MY x2 does not play well with my switch config . the lnb power has issues (dunno if all X2 have same problem) . My other boxes ALL work the switches just fine.
i have not tried the nov 6 firmware yet to see if that is / has been improved.
it does work good when i use it to blindscan a single lnb hooked up at a time.

kodaz-
Seems to me I read that somewhere. Might have been in this forum, don't remember :wacko:
Anyway, I am using just one LNBF for this experiment, so ( fingers crossed) I am hoping there will not be any issues.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)