SlingBox hookup

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Since the microHD is supported by SlingBox, I added it. This was not as easy at it sounds. SlingBox adds components by application. The are no FTA applications, so how do you do it?. Tell SlingBox it's a sat receiver, and SkyAngel is your service. This will then give you a list of receivers with GeoSat Pro included. The microHD is not in the list yet, but they're all the same, right? ;) . This was the only way I could get SlingBox to offer the GeoSat Pro in the device list. And I tried a bunch of ways to get the GeoSat Pro as a device. If some one finds a better way, let us know :)

You download and install the Slingplayer software.

Then you setup your Slingbox, select Satellite / Free To Air Receivers then select GeoSat Pro now select any GeoSatpro model. (MicroHD will be listed there sometime this month, Sling wouldn't list the microHD since it was not officially released yet and they only do monthly updates.)

Once you are done you can enjoy your microHD anywhere using Sling technology. :D

Since I allready have SlingBox in use and wanted to change the composite connection to use the microHD, I used the setup assistant in the program. It then logged me into the SlingBox site and I proceeded with the guided step by step process. It never showed a catagory for FTA receivers, and I tried every option to find it. My mistake in believing that logging onto the site provided me with the latest functionality. I must have a strange mind set, I'm always doing it the wrong way. LOL

In preparation for the day when I purchase a microHD, I am looking at upgrading from my HAVA to a slingbox.

I presume the older slingbox (AV or SB-240) would work with the microHD? Do I need to try find one with software included, or will I be able to download the software from a slingbox support site?

I like the premise of being able to control the microHD remotely, and am hoping I would be able to do that even with an older model slingbox. I also like the idea I would be able to use it on my Android phone or my Apple iTouch (whereas with the HAVA I have been stuck with only using on my iTouch).

Since Slingbox ProHD has HD input and output in a native form; and the microHD has only HDMI for 1080; I will need the newest model to run more than SVid carries. 2 Mbit or better upload speeds are also needed for my HD pictures. Notice I am not quoting anything. I see a great picture from my HD Slingbox on my dual core XP PC from my microHD using video only. The codes for all the remotes, however, are held "online" now, and my older slingbox works too; but my OLD MAC (NON-INTEL) DOES NOT WORK WITH MY SLINGBOX anymore. Has anybody been able to keep a reverted old disc to slingbox application without the "internet" and program the codes locally? Or will there ever be an "good ole' slingbox" that still works without their "newest online only" update as the only working model?

Of course, I am disappointed in whom is running slingbox today; who was not running slingbox yesterday.

Of course, I am disappointed in whom is running slingbox today; who was not running slingbox yesterday.
I hear your pain. I'm just surprised they never figured out how to charge me a monthly Slingbox fee for the box I already own.

FYI, I just discovered that Sling Media still hosts the older versions of their PC software. They sure didn't make it easy to find though, I had to find direct links from somewhere else.
http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-Setup-1.5.1.338-US.exe (more links at WineHQ - SlingPlayer 1.5)

Might also be available for Mac, google "slingplayer mac ppc" shows lots of potential.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts