Smoking Meat?

Sounds good to me. Any prep on the garlic? Olive oil, butter, .....?

The garlic I boiled with the shrimp came out great. Almost buttery.

I'll eat garlic in pretty much any form.

I pealed the outer layers of skin away. The bulbs were still connected at the base, but the cloves were open at the top. Placed each bulb in a foil cupcake wrapper and poured a little olive oil over the top and into the wrapper. You could squeeze a clove onto a slice of bread and spread it like soft butter.

A crusty, firm bread works best.

What farmers market do you go to?

Actually those came from Miles Farmers Market. (More of a normal grocery store, I know). I do go to the West Side Market often too. There's a close Farmers Market in Eaton on Chagrin Blvd I'd like to try sometime. The Geauga Market is pretty good too. It's in South Russel.

I gotta get a WSM next summer.....I love my Orion, but it is what it is: a cooker, not a smoker.

I just convinced my next door neighbor to upgrade to the WSM. He currently has some ancient red smoker that doesn't even have any air dampers! He said he had to drill his own holes in. Anyways, the both of us were out there smoking on Sunday. Him a pork butt and me ribs.

He was out there every hour on the hour adding more charcoal. Throughout the whole day he must've gone through at least a big bag and a half. One time he opened the smoker, the pile of fuel was completely engulfed in flames and the flame was 12" high! How do you smoke at temperatures around 200º like that?! (I was holding back laughter).

He asked me how long my charcoal lasts, because he didn't see me out there except a few times to check the temps. I told him that I could get near 10 hours of cook time with 2 chimney's of charcoal and he nearly pissed himself. Soon enough, he figured out that with the amount of charcoal this imposter of a smoker was going through, upgrading to the Weber would pay for itself in no time.

Long story short: The Weber is more pricey, but it's well worth it.

As promised, pictures....

For the Ribs, I used a Chipolte Rub given to me from a butcher at Whole Foods. I got talking with him about meat and how I like to smoke, bbq, etc. and he gave me a pint of Whole Foods own, in-store Chipolte seasoning rub for no charge. They don't even sell this stuff to the public he says, it's a secret recipe! Anyways, it is very thick, not powdery. Not sure of the ingredients, but it did indeed have a bit of a kick to it. To compliment the spice, I thought a side of sweet sauce, as in my favorite bottled sweet sauce: Sweet Baby Rays would work as a perfect compliment.

I then slathered the ribs down heavy with this rub and allowed to rest and come to room temperature for about an hour. Once the WSM was up to temperature, I threw both racks on (cut in half) and used my rib rack to stand them up. I didn't touch them for 5 hours later and tried to keep an even 225ºF temperature.

The results? Quite possibly the best ribs I've done to date! The next time I go to Whole Foods, I'm gonna have to try and get this rub recipe from the butcher! :)

Fine lookin ribs!!!!!!:hungry:

I gotta get a WSM next summer.....I love my Orion, but it is what it is: a cooker, not a smoker.

I have both the 19" and 22" models. Unless you need the volume, I recommend buying the 19" version. The new 19" has some of the features of the 22" - like the thermometer in the lid. But I find that thermometer of little use. I use one in the meat and another on the top grate.

I find the 22" model uses more charcoal, of course. But it also seems to not be as steady on the temps. Maybe I just need more experience with it. One tiny annoyance with the 22 incher is the vents. On the 19, they all turn the same way to open. On the 22, two turn one way, the third turns the opposite. I have to look at them instead of just nudging with my foot. Minor, but irritating.

Amazon once had the WSM on Gold Box special, so it might happen again.

Anyone here ever do a Pastrami?

I had an awesome Corned Beef earlier on in the week and now, I have the urge to do my own Pastrami from scratch. (Brining the brisket for a week or two, rubbing down with coriander and black pepper, then smoking.)

If anyone can share some experiences or tips, I'd appreciate it.

I had an awesome Corned Beef earlier on in the week and now, I have the urge to do my own Pastrami from scratch. (Brining the brisket for a week or two, rubbing down with coriander and black pepper, then smoking.)

Michael Ruhlman posted a pastrami he made out of short ribs last week. Looks amazing!

Homemade Short Rib Pastrami - Ruhlman.com

I plan on trying his pastrami method in the near future. I ordered the pink salt from Butcher & Packer.

I wish I had a celler. I would like to do more in-house meat processing but my better half doesn't appreciate whole pork bellies hanging from the pot rack in the kitchen.

I wish I had a celler. I would like to do more in-house meat processing but my better half doesn't appreciate whole pork bellies hanging from the pot rack in the kitchen.

I know what you mean. We have to endure bras and panty hose hanging in the bathroom, but a few pork bellies and a sausage link or twenty hanging in the kitchen.............:rolleyes: If you ask me that's a double standard!!!!!!!!!!!:D

I know what you mean. We have to endure bras and panty hose hanging in the bathroom, but a few pork bellies and a sausage link or twenty hanging in the kitchen.............:rolleyes: If you ask me that's a double standard!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Lol! True, very true!

She'll let me string up some fresh herbs from the garden to dry, but God forbid I hang sausages or pork bellies! :D Personally, I think it adds a nice decor to the kitchen! :D

My wife made a pastrami last week. Start with a fresh brisket. Brining is for 3 days followed by several hours of low temperature smoke. (We have a Bradley electric smoker). Final stage is the oven. If you need more details PM me and my wife could tell me where the recipe is and I will get it to you. BTW the pastrami is as good as Katz's in NY.:lick