Smoking Meat?

You need to reverse the process, smoke first, even for only thirty minutes, and then finish on the grill. Once the meat is all but cooked, it cannot absorb much of the smoke.

Here is a really good resource for all things smoked.
SMF - Smoking Meat Forums - Powered by vBulletin

That's a good site. I'm a member over there.

Same here.

After looking at the site, I am a member now as well. Thanks for posting the link, Yota86.

Broke through the stall, but had to boost the smoke temp to do it. Up to 185°F. Turds are on the racks as well as four bulbs of garlic set in foil cupcake holders and drizzled with olive oil.

Pics please.:hungry:

Guest were already here when I finally broke through 190°F. My choice was to feed them or risk bodily harm. :eek:

The pork and ABTs were good. One of our guests was concerned by the dark crust of the rub and I don't think I convinced her with my reassurances. The taste won her over. I was most pleased by the roasted garlic. I'd tried it once before and didn't give it enough time. Did 3+ hours at 220°F and they came out tender and very flavorful.

Apologies for the lack of photographic integrity.

Picked up 2 racks of Baby Backs today for the lovely price of $3.99/lb at the local farmers market. I plan on smoking these suckers on Sunday. Pics to follow tomorrow...

Happy Independence Day all!!

Got some country style ribs.

Am about to rub them and bake for 2 hours at 250 degrees.
Then I will bake them for another 2 hours (same temp) in an apple juice/bourbon soak.

After that, it is to the grill for a small amount of time, add some BBQ sauce in the last few minutes, and good to eat

.... I was most pleased by the roasted garlic. I'd tried it once before and didn't give it enough time. Did 3+ hours at 220°F and they came out tender and very flavorful.

Sounds good to me. Any prep on the garlic? Olive oil, butter, .....?

The garlic I boiled with the shrimp came out great. Almost buttery.

I'll eat garlic in pretty much any form.

Picked up 2 racks of Baby Backs today for the lovely price of $3.99/lb at the local farmers market. I plan on smoking these suckers on Sunday. Pics to follow tomorrow...

As promised, pictures....

For the Ribs, I used a Chipolte Rub given to me from a butcher at Whole Foods. I got talking with him about meat and how I like to smoke, bbq, etc. and he gave me a pint of Whole Foods own, in-store Chipolte seasoning rub for no charge. They don't even sell this stuff to the public he says, it's a secret recipe! Anyways, it is very thick, not powdery. Not sure of the ingredients, but it did indeed have a bit of a kick to it. To compliment the spice, I thought a side of sweet sauce, as in my favorite bottled sweet sauce: Sweet Baby Rays would work as a perfect compliment.

I then slathered the ribs down heavy with this rub and allowed to rest and come to room temperature for about an hour. Once the WSM was up to temperature, I threw both racks on (cut in half) and used my rib rack to stand them up. I didn't touch them for 5 hours later and tried to keep an even 225ºF temperature.

The results? Quite possibly the best ribs I've done to date! The next time I go to Whole Foods, I'm gonna have to try and get this rub recipe from the butcher! :)

Attachments

• CIMG2170.JPG
    CIMG2170.JPG
    197.7 KB · Views: 164
  • CIMG2171.JPG
    CIMG2171.JPG
    323.4 KB · Views: 167
  • CIMG2174.JPG
    CIMG2174.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 154
  • CIMG2176.JPG
    CIMG2176.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 141
As promised, pictures....

For the Ribs, I used a Chipolte Rub given to me from a butcher at Whole Foods. I got talking with him about meat and how I like to smoke, bbq, etc. and he gave me a pint of Whole Foods own, in-store Chipolte seasoning rub for no charge. They don't even sell this stuff to the public he says, it's a secret recipe! Anyways, it is very thick, not powdery. Not sure of the ingredients, but it did indeed have a bit of a kick to it. To compliment the spice, I thought a side of sweet sauce, as in my favorite bottled sweet sauce: Sweet Baby Rays would work as a perfect compliment.

I then slathered the ribs down heavy with this rub and allowed to rest and come to room temperature for about an hour. Once the WSM was up to temperature, I threw both racks on (cut in half) and used my rib rack to stand them up. I didn't touch them for 5 hours later and tried to keep an even 225ºF temperature.

The results? Quite possibly the best ribs I've done to date! The next time I go to Whole Foods, I'm gonna have to try and get this rub recipe from the butcher! :)

Those look amazing. Have you ever tried your ribs dry? Sometimes I like them better with no sauce if they have a good rub.

You're in Lyndhurst, right? Next time you smoke I'm going to walk my dog in your neighborhood!! :)

Those look amazing. Have you ever tried your ribs dry? Sometimes I like them better with no sauce if they have a good rub.

Yes I have. This time around I actually left the sauce on the side for dipping (see the little cast iron croc). I ate half with rub and half with sauce pasted on. (Mmmm. Sweet Baby Rays!)

You're in Lyndhurst, right? Next time you smoke I'm going to walk my dog in your neighborhood!! :)

Yep, Lyndhurst. As for dogs, my Bailey goes bonkers every time I smoke something. It's quite funny actually. He points his nose straight in the air and follows the scent around. He appreciates my smoked meat just as much as the wife and I. :)

I gotta get a WSM next summer.....I love my Orion, but it is what it is: a cooker, not a smoker.

What farmers market do you go to?

I've thought about a combo cook... start something out in my old Brinkman and when it's time to add coals move the meat to the Orion...

Not a bad idea. I have a rectangular shaped Brinkman smoker and its a royal PITA because its hard to keep temperature and you have to constantly add charcoal.