Smoking Meat?

Hi I am new to this forum. I cook in Barbeque competitions in the Kansas City Barbecue Society and the Florida Barbeque Association. I cook with a team out of Huntsville, Al. called "Off The Sauce Cookers". JAFIREBUFF come hang out with us at The National Barbecue News forum. We have some great barbecue discussions. I cook on a Stumps Gravity feed Elite 4.

GREAT! Welcome! Now tell us all your secrets. ;)

You are working the hobby at a different level than most or all of us, but maybe 1 or 2 of us can catch up and give you some competition. :p

I'm smoking two thirteen-pound turkeys for a noonish meal on Saturday. My recipe (from Smoke and Spice) says 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours per pound at 200°. That'd be about 18 hours for a 13 pounder. Does that sound right? Will, as I suspect, two birds extend the cooking time, or does it really depend on the size of the individual birds?

I'm smoking two thirteen-pound turkeys for a noonish meal on Saturday. My recipe (from Smoke and Spice) says 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours per pound at 200°. That'd be about 18 hours for a 13 pounder. Does that sound right? Will, as I suspect, two birds extend the cooking time, or does it really depend on the size of the individual birds?

I haven't smoked a bird yet (maybe someone else can confirm this time), but to answer your question about extending the cooking time if you have more than one in the smoker, it doesn't.

Does your recipe give an internal cooking temperature your shooting for? A lot of us use a digital probe thermometer to monitor the temperature of the meat as well as one to monitor the temperature of the smoker itself. This would be a good way to double check yourself if the suggested times are off.

I haven't smoked a bird yet (maybe someone else can confirm this time), but to answer your question about extending the cooking time if you have more than one in the smoker, it doesn't.

Does your recipe give an internal cooking temperature your shooting for? A lot of us use a digital probe thermometer to monitor the temperature of the meat as well as one to monitor the temperature of the smoker itself. This would be a good way to double check yourself if the suggested times are off.

180° internal. My smoker has an integrated probe, so I can monitor that as well. Good to know the extra bird doesn't make the time cumulative. Think I might put them in a bit early just to be safe. If they're done ahead of time I can keep them warm and moist in a roaster.

Thanks for the info.

180° internal. My smoker has an integrated probe, so I can monitor that as well. Good to know the extra bird doesn't make the time cumulative. Think I might put them in a bit early just to be safe. If they're done ahead of time I can keep them warm and moist in a roaster.

Thanks for the info.

180 on a turkey...you might as well eat the charcoal! I pull mine at 160-165 in the breast and no more than 170 in the thigh.

180 on a turkey...you might as well eat the charcoal! I pull mine at 160-165 in the breast and no more than 170 in the thigh.

I agree with the 160-165°F rating. Also remember JRP, the bird will continue to cook slightly after you take it out of the smoker. There's nothing worse than a dry poutry. If I were you, I'd shoot for 160-165°F.

Last edited:
I just put the two 13-pounders in. I'm starting with the smoker at 200° and shooting for 165° internal. Thanks for all the input.

I cooked the birds overnight at 180°. At 7:30 this morning the bird was at 156°. I took the cooking temp back up to 200° an they were at 165° about two hours later. I shredded the meat with my hands, no knife or fork necessary.

Thanks for the help. They would have definitely been overcooked at 180°.

My second attempt at a pork butt is on schedule for tomorrow. Why is it called a butt if it comes from the shoulder?

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 145
I cooked the birds overnight at 180°. At 7:30 this morning the bird was at 156°. I took the cooking temp back up to 200° an they were at 165° about two hours later. I shredded the meat with my hands, no knife or fork necessary.

Thanks for the help. They would have definitely been overcooked at 180°.

My second attempt at a pork butt is on schedule for tomorrow. Why is it called a butt if it comes from the shoulder?

The birds look good. You can also BBQ them at a high heat. I do all my poultry that way. I did an 18# bird for Christmas dinner at 325 at the lid. Was done in 4 hrs. 160 at the breast and 170 at the thigh. I think the one of the terms for calling it butt was the way lower choices of meat was packed and shipped back in the day. The containers were call butts, or barrels.

Edit Here you go. Good explantion of the origination of the term, "Boston Butt".

http://www.ochef.com/877.htm

Last edited:
Rubbed the pork down yesterday afternoon with Armadillo Willy's (an appropriate amount this time). Put the butt on last night about 9 p.m. at 220°. Added hickory hourly until midnight and went to sleep. Put a rack of ABTs and couple garlic bulbs on a little before ten this morning.

The butt seemed stuck at 181°, so I foiled it and raised the heat to 240° about 11:30 this morning. Pulled the ABTs and garlic at noon for appetizers. The pork hit 195° at 12:45. I pulled it and let it sit a bit. Everything turned out great. The browned outer edge was really good and no knife needed.

This type of cooking obviously takes more planning an preparation because of the time involved, but it is very rewarding.

Attachments

• 3-15-09-1s.jpg
    3-15-09-1s.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 126
  • 3-15-09-2s.jpg
    3-15-09-2s.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 3-15-09-3s.jpg
    3-15-09-3s.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 131
Good looking Q there. I see you have witnessed the stall. The same thing will happen when you do brisket and chuck roastes as well. Tha's normal. Some folks do as you do and foil. Your right. Preperation can be time consumming, but the end results are worth it. The bark is where most of the flavor is. I'll chop up as much of it I can and try to mix it all through the meat.

GREAT! Welcome! Now tell us all your secrets. ;)

You are working the hobby at a different level than most or all of us, but maybe 1 or 2 of us can catch up and give you some competition. :p

There are no secrets. Just practice, practice, practice. My wife and I became certified BBQ judges 3 years ago. Last year a guy I met on the National Barbeque News forum invited me to become a member on his team. As a judge I knew what judges were looking for. Our first competition we placed 2nd overall out of 23 teams. We had a 1st in ribs, 2nd chicken, 7th brisket and 8th in pork.

Cooked a couple of new items (for me) for Easter dinner.

Did two six pound Maple-Bourbon Bone-In Hams and a Fancy Chicken with Cheese (both from Smoke & Spice). Used Templeton Rye for the rub and glaze on the ham. The chicken rub was applied under the skin and had chevre, pesto and fresh basil. Took about 5 hours and both were very good.

Attachments

• 4-12-09-1s.jpg
    4-12-09-1s.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 142
  • 4-12-09-2s.jpg
    4-12-09-2s.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 137
  • 4-12-09-3s.jpg
    4-12-09-3s.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 126
Before Easter, my kids and my wife were complaining that I bought too much meat and that we'd have way too much food. I decided to placate them a bit and didn't make any ABTs. It would be too much, they said.

Both my kids complained about the lack of ABTs. My son happily took a large bag of ham with him when he left. On Monday my wife said I should always make extra meat since there is room on the smoker (something I've seen said here repeatedly) so we could freeze sandwich meat as well as having leftovers.

It seems I'll have to start ignoring their pre-cook suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts