Smoking Meat?

ARGH BASED ON THIS, NEITHER.

$80 just for S/H on the mini-egg (add in the cost of the actual "EGG" - http://www.biggreenegg.com/prices.htm

$250 cheapest WITHOUT S/H - http://www.kamado.com/Prices.htm

Heck get this then: $40 http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3342501

Not trying to be rude, but are you really willing to drop that kind of high money for those? SORRY, but I am just asking trying to figure it all out; are you wanting a over priced gimick grill or something to really smoke meats that will easily convert to a grill when needed?

---------------

$170 - Cheaper and bigger than both of those and its a true smoker that can convert to grill use. http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDU...-Search-_-D-28X-_-bid20111396-brinkman_smoker

$79 - http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1972388

Last edited:
dfergie said:
Some of the best smoked meat I ever had was smoked salmon, when I was a kid we lived in Oregon for a short time, my Dad's boss would go out fishing every weekend and drop off his catch at a smokehouse and pick up the last weeks catch... Good stuff :)

We tried smoked salmon today, and neither of us liked it. Perhaps I cooked it too long, but it wound up like mush.

Also, I am using hickory and did a boston butt today and pulled it. Anyone else think the smoked flavor is a little strong for them?? Maybe I am using too much wood?

Otherwise, it wasn't too bad for my second time. :hungry:

Reading this thread reminded me of the guy I roomed with in college. Anytime somebody would mention smoking a turkey he would ask something about how they got it wrapped in one of those little papers (the same ones he used for smoking "weed")

timmy1376 said:
We tried smoked salmon today, and neither of us liked it. Perhaps I cooked it too long, but it wound up like mush. Also, I am using hickory and did a boston butt today and pulled it. Anyone else think the smoked flavor is a little strong for them?? Maybe I am using too much wood? Otherwise, it wasn't too bad for my second time. :hungry:

I prefer hickory on pork, sausage, beef, etc, but use a lighter wood for fish. You MUST control the air temp and time carfully. Especially for fish. You can overload (make too much) smoke.

Use no lighter fluid or bricks with starter in it. Use a chimney with plain charcoal and once its ready, place 3 - 4 fist-sized chucks of soaked (soaked at least 1 hr) wood into the coal. Maybe one less for fish and one extra for "meats".

Keep meats as far away from the base of the smoke as possible. I always recommend a smoker where the fire box is separate and to the side of the "chamber". Make sure to control the air temp & time correctly based on the item (and weight) being smoked.

1. Not that it can't be done, but I would smoke the fish separate. Because of the needed temperature differences and some aromas.

2. Sounds like the air was too hot (my guess) and smoked too long. What was your air temp in the smoker?

3. Maybe the smoking wood was not properly seasoned (aged) before use, or was not pre-soaked long enough before placing into the smoker.

4. Are you trying to cold smoke or hot smoke the fish?

4. Was the fish fresh/thawed fully?

Last edited:
Semi Ot, I bought some Salmon fillets the other day, wrapped each individually in foil with 1 slice of bacon and grilled on low- medium temp for about 7 minutes per side... came out pretty bueno... ( first time with Salmon have done many times with Catfish and Trout)

I probably screwed up the fish. It was frozen when I bought it, placed it in the fridge then put on grill. I was up to 250 in the smoker, probably wayyy too hot. Only my second time, so hopefully I get better.

What temp do you cook pork at and how long?

Yep, 250 for fish is way too hot. What type of smoker do you use?

Here is my general list or info.

Do you brine or not? Do you use a rub? (I make my own) and it needs to be on the meat at least over night; I like 2 days.

Keep meat moistened with a spray bottle every 20 minutes or so when you add wood chunks.

Have meats fully thawed (I try to only use fresh/non-frozen). Allow meat to come to just above room temp (Allow it to sit out for about 45mins or so) before placing on a grill or in the smoker.

Cooking time depends on many factors: the type of meat, its size and shape, the distance of food from the heat, the temperature of the coals, bone-in or boneless, and even the weather. It can take anywhere from 4 to 14 hours to smoke meat or poultry, so it's imperative to use thermometers to monitor temperatures. SIZE, SIZE, SIZE matters! LOL, the wife made me type that!

Air Temperatures in the smoker between 175 - 200 degrees. (Pork & Beef)
Air Temperatures in the smoker between 100 - 150 degrees. (Fish)

GUESS-T-MATE used for MY smoker = between 1.3 and 1.6 hrs per pound. (Pork & Beef) USE a meat thermometer for sure!

Smoke food to a safe minimum internal temperature.

* Beef, veal, and lamb steaks, roasts, and chops may be cooked to 145 °F.
* All cuts of pork to 160 °F.
* Ground beef, veal and lamb to 160 °F.
* All poultry should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 °F.

* Alder - light, delicate flavor excellent for salmon, chicken and pork
* Apple and Cherry- sweet, fruity flavor that's great for poultry, game birds and pork
* Hickory - strong, pungent bacon-like flavor used for beef, pork and ham. This is the most popular of flavoring woods
* Maple - a sweet, smoky flavor ideal for game meat, poultry and pork
* Mesquite - a little sweeter than hickory, but still strong, this wood is great for richly flavored meats such as lamb, beef, and duck
* Pecan - a subtle, but rich flavor that complements any turkey or other poultry

In addition to these common woods, there are varieties of exotic woods such as plum, peach, and guava, and still other chips are made from wine and bourbon barrels. The options and flavors are virtually limitless!

KEEP A JOURNAL of what works for you and your smoker.

dfergie said:
I pulled the pork roast I did a couple of weeks ago at 180 Degrees (meat thermometer) (7 hours)

I am thinking I didn't let it get hot enough (the meat) to melt all the "good" stuff in the pork so it just falls apart.

You guys are builging me a reference book here!

Has anyone used a remote thermometer? Thought it be nice to be able to leave it in the meat instead of keep poking it to test doneness.

Reading the Thanksgiving thread is making me want to fire up the smoker, its been awhile... ;) Maybe in the next 3 days I will make time and do a pork roast and some chickens... or wait and do a Turkey Thanksgiving weekend...

Yeah, got mine out and did a couple of tri-tip roasts this weekend, makes for some great sandwiches during the week. :hungry:

NightRyder

Reading the Thanksgiving thread is making me want to fire up the smoker, its been awhile... ;) Maybe in the next 3 days I will make time and do a pork roast and some chickens... or wait and do a Turkey Thanksgiving weekend...

Damn D, you haven't been smoking this summer/fall? You sure have to fire up that smoker ASAP! LOL. I try to smoke at least once per month.