Smoking Meat?

Finally got my Char-Griller horizontal smoker yesterday. Man that thing is heavy! Wife was mad at me for putting it together in the family room. :D

I don't care it's cold outside! Not like I was going to fire it up in the house!

Now I just need to decide on what it's maiden voyage will be. I will begin seasoning the grill tonight. There is a lot of what feels like shipping oil on the bare metal parts. I would hope it was veg oil.

I am thinking Baby backs first then a pork shoulder this weekend for new years then a Brisket for the Ohio State/Florida game! :hungry:

Finally got my Char-Griller horizontal smoker yesterday. Man that thing is heavy! Wife was mad at me for putting it together in the family room. :D

I don't care it's cold outside! Not like I was going to fire it up in the house!

Now I just need to decide on what it's maiden voyage will be. I will begin seasoning the grill tonight. There is a lot of what feels like shipping oil on the bare metal parts. I would hope it was veg oil.

I am thinking Baby backs first then a pork shoulder this weekend for new years then a Brisket for the Ohio State/Florida game! :hungry:

It's never too cold to smoke meat. Before smoking I load it up with cheap charcoal to get it very hot so the old fat/oil will burn-out and not flavor the meat.

Attachments

• PC310021.JPG
    PC310021.JPG
    483.8 KB · Views: 195
Make sure when using a one chamber horizontal model that you create a well defined separation of the hot side (coal/chips) and the cold side (meat) and use a probe thermometer to verify and control the cold side temp at or around the 215-220 degree range (NO MORE) - those on-lid spring loaded model are NOT very accurate especially after a few uses.

AND make sure the meat's internal temp reaches 157-160 (thermometer) but DO NOT exceed that (after removal it will carry over cook up to the required 160-165). Wrap the meat in foil for about 20 mins to allow it to rest before serving.

These one chamber cookers are really over-sized, tubular-shaped grills, not smokers (indirect heat), but can be used well if care is taken; otherwise you are really grill roasting. HERE is the same Char-Griller product for true smoker package (side mounted fire box). Can be added to Super Pro, Wrangler and Outlaw models only. I use that same Char-Griller "Outlaw" for my grilling, but Have their "Smokin' Pro" and a custom built vertical smoke box for the smoke jobs. Other named companies have the very same products.

Last edited:
That's the one I have with the side fire box.

I smoked a brisket today. It was pretty small. about 3 lbs. Small but for jus my wife an I i was fine. It tasted great but it was tough. I had a probe thermometer in it and I cooked it to 145 looking for med-rare. The thing is it got up to 145 in just an hour and half. O let ot go for another 2 and a half hours. Can brisket not be cooked to med-rare? I suspect i needed another 3-4 hours. I cooked it at 220 degrees.

Sorry about that; the fire box just doesn't show in the photo.

1. The first thing you'll need for true smoking with indirect heat is a good smoker. You need a fire chamber with a good draw and a heat deflector designed to direct the hot air under the meat and to prevent hot spots. A separate opening to the firebox is a must so you can tend the fire or stir the coals without disrupting the meat.

2. Pick a packer-trimmed brisket, one with 1/4-inch of fat trim. Otherwise, the meat will be overly dry.

3. In bowl, blend all the spices together to use as a rub. Moisten brisket with water, apple juice or canola oil spray. Coat the entire brisket with the rub. Press spices into meat with your hands. Cover and refrigerate at least 12 hours ahead, I usually say 24 hours min and if you can 2 days. I use my own special blend of DRY RUB:

4 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon chili powder (not hot)
1 tablespoon dried marjoram
3 teaspoons granulated garlic
3 teaspoons granulated onion
3 teaspoons brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 (4 to 6-pound) brisket
Handfuls of wood chips, soaked in water at least 1 hour. Pecan, apple and hickory are better for longer smokes. Mesquite is for shorter times.

4. Before cooking pull meat out of the refrigerator to allow it to get near room temp before ever sending it to any heat source. Not doing so will kill your product every time. This is true for any cooking method.

5. Preheat a grill for indirect heat, banking coals and soaked chips (pecan and hickory are great) around the sides of a grill. Set a drip pan with water or apple juice, etc in the center. Place brisket on the rack over the pan of water furthest away from the heat source. Keep cooking temperature inside around 220 degrees F until done. Check the temperature every 30 or 40 minutes. DO NOT poke or prod with fork or anything that will pierce the meat surface. Allow about 40 minutes per pound (to start) until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees F. Baste or spray with water, cider-vinegar or apple juice every 30 - 45 minutes during smoking; baste on your favorite barbecue sauce during the final 15 minutes of cooking if you like your meat "wet".

6. Allow the meat to rest at least 20 minutes; wrapped or covered in foil.

7. Make sure to carve brisket, flank steak, skirt steak against the grain of the meat.

8. It will take some practice to gain control of your gear in your climate, but this should be a great starting point. keep a journal REALLY! I have TONS of lists for other meats as well.

Attachments

• ffctBrisketSecrets2.jpg
    ffctBrisketSecrets2.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
I smoked a brisket today. It was pretty small. about 3 lbs. Small but for jus my wife an I i was fine. It tasted great but it was tough. I had a probe thermometer in it and I cooked it to 145 looking for med-rare. The thing is it got up to 145 in just an hour and half. O let ot go for another 2 and a half hours. Can brisket not be cooked to med-rare? I suspect i needed another 3-4 hours. I cooked it at 220 degrees.
Unfortunately, a brisket is such a tough piece of meat, you can't cook it to only 145. Only after a LONG, slow smoke will those connective tissues break down and make it fork tender.

I usually cook 12-14# (untrimmed) briskets at 185-200 for a good 12 hours or more.

Yeam that's what I thought. Oh well, I guess I just have to keep practicing! :hungry:

I'm going to do baby backs and corn next week for the ohio state game.

I have read you need to get your butt and shoulder up to 180 or 190 so it hand pulls, but I cannot get it up that hot. It will only get to 160 or so. How do I get it hotter? I cook a 4 pounder about 9 hours at 220-240. I have an offset firebox smoker.

I have read you need to get your butt and shoulder up to 180 or 190 so it hand pulls, but I cannot get it up that hot. It will only get to 160 or so. How do I get it hotter? I cook a 4 pounder about 9 hours at 220-240. I have an offset firebox smoker.

After you have smoked it, throw it in the oven for a couple of hours...it will fall apart.

Have I got a Smoker!!!

I got myself the best smoker-grill bar none last July!

http://komodokamado.com/

First Cook
81775261-M.jpg

Cook During an Ice Storm
129651606-M.jpg

Overnight Chuck Roll Cook
If you haven't tried this cut of meat you're missing out BIG TIME!
118777931-M.jpg

118777992-M.jpg

Last edited:
Pleateu at ~160*F

There's a pleateu at ~160*F where the collagen breaks down and all the "magic" happens. It's not unusual for the meat to sit between 160~175 for hours.

That said, a 4# pork butt should get to 190*F in 6~8 Hrs (1-1/2 ~ 2hrs/# rule of thumb). 9HRs is a bit too long. What thermometer are you using and where are you measuring the temp?

There's a pleateu at ~160*F where the collagen breaks down and all the "magic" happens. It's not unusual for the meat to sit between 160~175 for hours.

That said, a 4# pork butt should get to 190*F in 6~8 Hrs (1-1/2 ~ 2hrs/# rule of thumb). 9HRs is a bit too long. What thermometer are you using and where are you measuring the temp?

I am using a cheap digital temp and taking it different spots around.

No Poking...

I am using a cheap digital temp and taking it different spots around.

A cheap $10 digital temp will do fine... Check accuracy with boiling water. Need two though (one for th meat and one for the pit).

DO NOT poke around the different spots. Insert the probe into the meat and leave it there for the duration of the cook. Set the pit probe near but not touching the meat. Control the pit to ~220*F and take the meat off ~195*F, leave the probe in, wrap it in foil and towels and throw it in a cooler (to keep warm). The collagen should continue to break down. Take out of the cooler and pull/shred when ready to eat.

Plan to be done at least 2~3 hrs before you're ready to serve. You can keep the meat hot in the cooler for hours but can starve waiting for the meat in the smoker to cook.

With ribs, just allow for 6hrs (spare) or 5 hrs (babybacks). No probe on the meat needed.