Smoking Meat?

A cheap $10 digital temp will do fine... Check accuracy with boiling water. Need two though (one for th meat and one for the pit).

DO NOT poke around the different spots. Insert the probe into the meat and leave it there for the duration of the cook. Set the pit probe near but not touching the meat. Control the pit to ~220*F and take the meat off ~195*F, leave the probe in, wrap it in foil and towels and throw it in a cooler (to keep warm). The collagen should continue to break down. Take out of the cooler and pull/shred when ready to eat.

Plan to be done at least 2~3 hrs before you're ready to serve. You can keep the meat hot in the cooler for hours but can starve waiting for the meat in the smoker to cook.

With ribs, just allow for 6hrs (spare) or 5 hrs (babybacks). No probe on the meat needed.

195 internal meat temp is WAY TOO HIGH...

Smoke at 200 to 225 degrees F until internal pork temperature reaches 160 -165 degrees F . There will be carryover cooking.

Wrap finished meat in foil to rest at least 20m to allow the meat to rest and redistribute the juices; but do not use towels or paper or anything that can soak up liquids around the meat itself.

You will also find better results using a larger butt, say 7lbs or so and performing an overnight brine process.

I got myself the best smoker-grill bar none last July!

http://komodokamado.com/

We need to talk. This is what I'm considering buying. Your design is a bit different than I've seen on their web site. Since they no longer post prices on their site, I had no idea when they have a sale. Now I've learned there is an end of year sale- I have a few months to wait, I guess.

Is yours from their new Mexican location?

Or are these not the same guys as at www.kamado.com?

Did you move up from another kind of smoker? I don't have a smoker now, I use a Weber grill.

We need to talk. This is what I'm considering buying. Your design is a bit different than I've seen on their web site. Since they no longer post prices on their site, I had no idea when they have a sale. Now I've learned there is an end of year sale- I have a few months to wait, I guess.

Is yours from their new Mexican location?

Or are these not the same guys as at www.kamado.com?

Did you move up from another kind of smoker? I don't have a smoker now, I use a Weber grill.

They are indeed two different companies. I had the Mexican (actually Sacramento, where they used to be before the move) Kamado. I upgraded to the Komodokamado. I'll send more detail via PM.

BTW, I got a Weber bullet instead. Maybe some day I'll spring for the bucks for a ceramic smoker. Better to learn cheap.

First try was successful, a pork butt (99 cents a lb!), but I sure used up a lot more charcoal and it took a lot more tending the temp than I anticipated. Temps in 50s. Did a small rib rack with it, came out great. Second try was duck, pretty good. Wasn't as thrilled with the 3rd try, turkey and lamb- OK, but just not as impressive as the pork butt.

My current smoker is gas, and with the beautiful day we had yesterday it stayed right at 225 degrees. Did some ribs, with a rub made by a guy here in town. Wonderful.

BTW, I got a Weber bullet instead. Maybe some day I'll spring for the bucks for a ceramic smoker. Better to learn cheap.

First try was successful, a pork butt (99 cents a lb!), but I sure used up a lot more charcoal and it took a lot more tending the temp than I anticipated. Temps in 50s. Did a small rib rack with it, came out great. Second try was duck, pretty good. Wasn't as thrilled with the 3rd try, turkey and lamb- OK, but just not as impressive as the pork butt.

Navychop:

If you haven't discovered it already, check out the following. Lot's of good info and recipes.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/

NightRyder

Yep. Thank you. I like that site. That's a major reason I decided to go with Weber.

Nice, might have to try one after your posted results. I have been applewood smoking since Thursday. We did about 8-10 lbs of chicken thighs, 14 lbs of country cut pork ribs, and 6 packs of Johnsonville brats. Then each day we grill finished some of each to heat through and do some of the chicken and ribs with the homemade sauce.

Got it put together...took about 20 minutes or so including getting the drill and a pair of channelocks... Wally world had a sale all weekend ending today on Briskets so bought one for next days off...Cell phone shot ;)

Attachments

• 05-28-07_1611.jpg
    05-28-07_1611.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 146
No... I just took the dogs on the morning walk and have a boat load of mesquite on my land I can throw in the cooker... ;) But would have to go to town for more charcoal as the wind blew the top off my rubber maid storage I keep it in and it got wet last night... I have some country ribs I am about to put rub on for a cook in either today...