Snow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mikemosun

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
We got 2 feet of snow in Connecticut and my Directv dident skip a beat.Making the switch from Comcast PRICELESS.

We got 2 feet of snow in Connecticut and my Directv dident skip a beat...

Thank you. I live in upstate New York and have said before that I haven't had a snow related outage in almost 11 years with DirecTV. Some folks here doubted me.

An overview:

All these systems have improved over the years and all have great potential. It has been the competition produced by the newest technology coming along to take all the money from the only game in town that has improved the best at the expense of the weak and arrogant.

If it wasn't for the various satellite providers the CATV providers would not answer phones and would just send out price increases.

We are getting to a point where the variety of available technologies will continue to keep the market active...and grind the slow or incompetent.

Joe

HOW DID THE GE AD GET INTO MY POST?

Last edited:
My dish went out with the snow. I guess a foot of snow on the dish will do that. My Fios never went out though

Reading through this thread as well as others that speak to weather related outages there does not seem to be any specific link to the part of the country a writer is located in and outages. Save having snow piled on the dish I'm not sure I have a good understanding of how some folks that live in areas that experience heavy snow fall never loos signal (again save for snow being piled up on the dish) and others do.
One of the frustrating aspects of being a dish customer is that when ever I we have a heavy snow or rain we loose some or all of our signal. Usually the first to go is the 61.5 which is livable as we just watch the non HD channels until it passes. But when we loose everything it can be very frustrating especially if we come home to find that the program we dvr'd is blank!
So how is it that there are those that have never or rarely experienced a weather related outage and then there are those that loose signal when ever the snow fly's.

Ross

Reading through this thread as well as others that speak to weather related outages there does not seem to be any specific link to the part of the country a writer is located in and outages. Save having snow piled on the dish I'm not sure I have a good understanding of how some folks that live in areas that experience heavy snow fall never loos signal (again save for snow being piled up on the dish) and others do.
One of the frustrating aspects of being a dish customer is that when ever I we have a heavy snow or rain we loose some or all of our signal. Usually the first to go is the 61.5 which is livable as we just watch the non HD channels until it passes. But when we loose everything it can be very frustrating especially if we come home to find that the program we dvr'd is blank!
So how is it that there are those that have never or rarely experienced a weather related outage and then there are those that loose signal when ever the snow fly's.

Ross

Ross,

It is also the atmospheric conditions that will occasionally dump the signal. Using the easiest example.........a dish pointed at forty five degrees elevation is "looking" up one foot for every foot away from the dish. So at one mile out the dish is "looking through the atmosphere one mile up. So how high is the storm from your house? Five miles out and 25,000 feet up would allow the sun to shine on you but snow and rain etc are out and up there blocking your signal...on it's way in from 23,000 miles out...where the satellite is in orbit, in the Clarke Belt.

Signals from the KA band satellites, at 99 & 103 west longitude positions send the HD programming and tend to be blocked easier by weather.

Next class will discuss sun spots and their effects on communications systems.

This stuff applies to DISH & Cable.

Joe

Last edited:
Usually it's the real WET snow that causes trouble.
Normal snow usually you'll have no problem.

I had that. I had to sweep off my dish 3 times and we only had 4in of snow.

I had that. I had to sweep off my dish 3 times and we only had 4in of snow.

Yup, when it's wet and heavy, that will happen, not much you can do when the signal is being scattered by the wet snow.
Notice a dry snow will not do that !

Yup, when it's wet and heavy, that will happen, not much you can do when the signal is being scattered by the wet snow.
Notice a dry snow will not do that !

Jimbo,

Do not forget deer that are wet and heavy. Them suckers will run into a dish and take off the arm! During this season of flying reindeer one should not discount the possibility of wet, heavy deer running flat out into pole mounted dishes!

Snowed in WITH Vodka!

Joe

Jimbo,

Do not forget deer that are wet and heavy. Them suckers will run into a dish and take off the arm! During this season of flying reindeer one should not discount the possibility of wet, heavy deer running flat out into pole mounted dishes!

Snowed in WITH Vodka!

Joe

Merry Christmas Joe :D:D:D:D

Jimbo,

Snowed in WITH Vodka!

Joe

Jimbo said:
Merry Christmas Joe :D:D:D:D

+1 :)

"Oh the weather outside is frightful,
But the fire is so delightful,
And since we've no place to go,
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!"

All, have a very merry Christmas and happy new year!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)