So who's jumping ship? and a message to Charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yea. I'm staying. I've had both and don't want to go back to Direct. In the meantime I will sit and watch a couple of big companys act like little kids. It's not just these two companies but it does amaze me how big corporations cannot sit down and act like adults to solve something. For some reason they need to revert back to " well, I'm just going to take my bat and ball and go home if I can't get my way."

I'm staying. I enjoy Dish and love their receivers. I have always been treated fair even when I have had a problem. As for Disney and the other HD channels I say "Go Charlie".
These channel execs think that something costing a $1 today is worth 2$ tomorrow so the stock holders are kept happy.
At least Dish on occasion tries to stand up to this industry. Good for them. I'm a life time union member who has benefits because someone stood up and asked for their fair share of the profits.
Like I said I am staying. Wayne

Are DirectTv receivers any better than they used to be? I used to have the HR-20, but switched back to dish because of the receiver. Programming for me is better on Direct, but I could not stand the receivers.
I just switched to DirecTV after 7 years of being an E* customer specifically due to the HD RSN issue.

I got a pair of HR-24s as part of the install - and the 24 is night&day faster than my neighbor's HR-21. You still have the issue of only 2 tuners per DVR regardless if you have the AM21 OTA module or not, but with DirecTV's Multi-Room Viewing option you get 1 common playlist across all the DVRs on your network so in my case the pair of HR-24s works like a single 4-tuner DVR.

The recording options aren't as flexible as the ViP series, they still lack nice features like picture-in-picture, and the user interface isn't nearly as polished, but overall for me the value of watching more games in HD outweighs the minor annoyances of the receiver. The ViP user interface and recording features are clearly better, but not enough for me to stick around.

Give it a rest my friend.

Has anyone else noticed that people tend to use the "my friend" line when they are talking down to someone they think is being stupid? Just an observation. (A certain former presidential candidate and current Senator from Arizona does it all the time.)

As for the main point of the thread -- especially with DishNet, channels are dropped temporarily during contract disputes regularly. They will come back.

and if that three year old is crying because her favorite Disney show is only in SD and not in the HD that was taken down, then someone needs to take that kid out and let her play in the yard for a while.

Based on posts here, I'm surprised I made it past childhood considering I didn't even have cable in my house until I turned 16 or so. I made due solely on *gasp* PBS children's shows. And on a 27" console SD TV, too.

And I was born in the 80's, as cable was becoming much more standard.

Based on posts here, I'm surprised I made it past childhood considering I didn't even have cable in my house until I turned 16 or so. I made due solely on *gasp* PBS children's shows. And on a 27" console SD TV, too.

And I was born in the 80's, as cable was becoming much more standard.

Wow, someone close to my age on here. I remember having cable when I was younger I it sucked.

cut his nose off to spite his face?

what is really odd about the dispute is that Charlie just "pulled" the channels..no notice to contact Disney..no continous charlie chat loop etc

What's C supposed to do go on and say. The SOB's at Disney just pulled these channels. Then he would have a hard time getting anything done on getting them back w/in the next lifetime w/o paying MEGA BUCKS.

Now that's funny.:D Maybe he will. Howler finally did. But then I feel sorry (only a little) for the poor people in the D* forums. Have felling it would only be a short time before he found something he doesn't like with them. :rolleyes:

When did Haller switch to Direct?

I know he bought a Tivo for OTA

People can jump ship if they want. Who know what kind of disputes Directv is having right now that we don't know about. I think it will always be an issue with sat providers. I'm still perfectly happy with Dish and am staying put.

Has anyone else noticed that people tend to use the "my friend" line when they are talking down to someone they think is being stupid? Just an observation. (A certain former presidential candidate and current Senator from Arizona does it all the time.)

As for the main point of the thread -- especially with DishNet, channels are dropped temporarily during contract disputes regularly. They will come back.
I use the term "My friend" all the time in greeting another person.
It's so much nicer than "hey you" plus I don't have to waste my expensive brain power thinking of a persons name:).
Besides, the former presidential person from Arizona most likely calls his wife and kids by that also. Getting old is hell.

I was pretty pissed myself to see this latest ordeal with Dish today, but again, the future is not in cable or satellite . . . the future is in internet-capable receivers and tv's . . . considering we are, at most, 6 months away from a Google/Droid enabled 922 or add-on for other VIP receivers, the world is our (Dish customers) oyster and we can watch anything and everything . . . relax, go out, enjoy the nice summer weather and when you return, your channels will be there in the fall

People can jump ship if they want. Who know what kind of disputes Directv is having right now that we don't know about. I think it will always be an issue with sat providers. I'm still perfectly happy with Dish and am staying put.
I don't think the dispute was the driver for this thread -- DirecTV added another 14 HD channels yesterday, mostly movie channels that E* had but D* was missing. Dish still has a lead with channels like Epix and Retro/Indieplex, but the gap is narrowing.

I do agree, however, that switching just because of a channel dispute is going to lead to disappointment. Channel disputes are unfortunately just a part of the landscape with any payTV provider you pick.

Are DirectTv receivers any better than they used to be? I used to have the HR-20, but switched back to dish because of the receiver. Programming for me is better on Direct, but I could not stand the receivers.
HR20 is a DVR, not just a receiver. ;)

I was pretty pissed myself to see this latest ordeal with Dish today, but again, the future is not in cable or satellite . . . the future is in internet-capable receivers and tv's
Internet-delivered content is an augmentation technology, not a replacement technology.

It's important to frame the key reasons why IPTV is gaining traction:

1) Time shifting (watch what I want, when I want it)
2) Place shifting (same as #1, but not primary viewing location)
3) Archived content (watch past episodes / missed recordings)
4) Niche content (Limited distribution, ie: Revision3)

Tme shifting is by far the largest driver towards Internet-based delivery, and it also represents the most inefficient use of network resources. You're taking content that is already being digitally delivered to your house via OTA ATSC feeds, cable QAM feeds, and satellite QPSK/8PSK feeds.... and transferring yet another copy of the same content over the network. Time shifting is better accomplished through local capture and playback using an already established stream as the source.

In terms of IPTV making things cheaper, just look at ESPN. Disney currently gets approximately $3.65/mo in subscriber fees from 100.7 million viewers thanks to forced channel subscription packages that won't let viewers opt-out of channels. Is anyone really naive enough to believe that ESPN is going to make a move that threatens their $4.4 billion a year money train? IPTV isn't going to change the game in terms of channel pricing because it's the companies that produce the content who want things packaged the way they are. It's not a coincidence that the channel line-up of cable and satellite providers everywhere in the US have a high degree of consistency across their channel lineups in various packages.

Internet-based video has a huge future, but not as a replacement technology.

Internet-delivered content is an augmentation technology, not a replacement technology.

It's important to frame the key reasons why IPTV is gaining traction:

1) Time shifting (watch what I want, when I want it)
2) Place shifting (same as #1, but not primary viewing location)
3) Archived content (watch past episodes / missed recordings)
4) Niche content (Limited distribution, ie: Revision3)

Tme shifting is by far the largest driver towards Internet-based delivery, and it also represents the most inefficient use of network resources. You're taking content that is already being digitally delivered to your house via OTA ATSC feeds, cable QAM feeds, and satellite QPSK/8PSK feeds.... and transferring yet another copy of the same content over the network. Time shifting is better accomplished through local capture and playback using an already established stream as the source.

In terms of IPTV making things cheaper, just look at ESPN. Disney currently gets approximately $3.65/mo in subscriber fees from 100.7 million viewers thanks to forced channel subscription packages that won't let viewers opt-out of channels. Is anyone really naive enough to believe that ESPN is going to make a move that threatens their $4.4 billion a year money train? IPTV isn't going to change the game in terms of channel pricing because it's the companies that produce the content who want things packaged the way they are. It's not a coincidence that the channel line-up of cable and satellite providers everywhere in the US have a high degree of consistency across their channel lineups in various packages.

Internet-based video has a huge future, but not as a replacement technology.

yes you are correct and rightfully corrected me; however, you nail down specifically why it will be the main attraction next!

I'm really starting to get irritated.

In the past month they've taken away Encore, all of the Disney's in HD, TMCX, and they STILL haven't made the Shreveport HD locals available. I've lost 6 channels that I watch and I've made 0 changes in my HD programming. It's ridiculous.

In the past month they've taken away Encore, all of the Disney's in HD, TMCX, and they STILL haven't made the Shreveport HD locals available. I've lost 6 channels that I watch and I've made 0 changes in my HD programming. It's ridiculous.

Their new slogan, "Pay more and get less channels". :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.