So who's jumping ship? and a message to Charlie

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Looks like ole boy is not getting a lot of support on his rant....:eek:

But, he is right in my opinion. It starts small and adds up. Take the American car manufactures as an example. They didn't hit the toilet over night either.

I'm just sayin.....

From reading some of the techno blogs I am getting the impression that this is just the tip of the iceberg.
The jist of it boils down to this.
Does a carrier have to pay for a HD service, when the HD service is not proportionally HD content. In the case of ABC, Disney and ESPN, much of their content wasn't being transmitted in HD even tho it was available in HD.
In the case of ABC family, it really doesn't make much sense to pay for HD programming when only a small fraction of their programming is HD. Most of their programming comes from video taped sitcoms and small dramas that were never made for a HD world.
In the case of Disney, much of the programing it was sending out Is SD with no HD equivalent. But some did have an HD equivalent that wasn't being transmitted.
As for ESPN, they hardly broadcast anything but news and comercials in HD, the rest was SD up-conversions.
Many channels are offering their HD counterparts as a package deal with their regular channels to providers at little or no cost. Because they know they don't have the ability or programing available to do HD. The MTV group of channels is a perfect example. They are HD in name only.

So I have to say I agree with Charlie on this one.
Why pay a premium for a HD feed when its not really HD.

But even tho I agree with Charlie, there is that little thing of a contract. Dish did agree to pay for the channels at a certain price.

I guess a court will have to decide a true definition of what is HD.
Is HD the technical aspect of the broadcast? or is it the quality of the broadcast?

Should be interesting.

I agree with Bob 100%. Charlie needs to heed Satchel Paige's advice about not looking back. Most people learn from their mistakes while others are doomed to repeat them. ;)

With goalie bob

I agree with Bob 100%. Charlie needs to heed Satchel Paige's advice about not looking back. Most people learn from their mistakes while others are doomed to repeat them. ;)

You are saying you agree w/ GB or some other Bob? You need to elaborate a little more on what you are saying here. At least for one I don't understand what you mean.

This is starting to get personal tween GB & I and i apologize to the members for that. But I do think that if someone is going to make a threat to do something. Then they should follow through or shut up.

whatchel1 said:
This is starting to get personal tween GB & I and i apologize to the members for that. But I do think that if someone is going to make a threat to do something. Then they should follow through or shut up.

That's why I'm offering my services to Charlie to fix things!

Bob--- Weren't you on D*? Why did you jump to Dish? Guess you have to do what you think is best but don't expect others to jump for a few channel negotiation changes. I can't afford to be flip flopping every time Charlie plays poker.

Wishful thinking! I'm going to continue the fight with or with out help! Like it or not!
Bob, you need to be reminded of Einstein's the definition of "Insanity": doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Last edited:
Don Landis said:
Bob--- Weren't you on D*? Why did you jump to Dish? Guess you have to do what you think is best but don't expect others to jump for a few channel negotiation changes. I can't afford to be flip flopping every time Charlie plays poker.

Don,

I was but I switched because at the time
Dish was the best at meeting my needs. That has come and gone. I'm not asking people to drop over Disney, I'm asking people to help E* realize that Dish has internal issues that needs to be fixed. Includeing issues with the programming negotiations and dish is out of tune with what customers want.

I have offered to help dish to fix the issues in lue of just posting here and complaining. No matter what I do people don't care and want to complain about me, just because it's me!

I honestly don't care what they think, but if the time comes and they need my help I'll be more than happy to help them in any way. I want to help dish be a better company, and some here just see the complaints and not the underlining reasons. They just don't get it! With change always comes resistance and I will never sell out my beliefs! Wich is why I will continue the fight!

I want to do good things, others just can't see that with their blinders on!

Don,

I was but I switched because at the time
Dish was the best at meeting my needs. That has come and gone. I'm not asking people to drop over Disney, I'm asking people to help E* realize that Dish has internal issues that needs to be fixed. Includeing issues with the programming negotiations and dish is out of tune with what customers want.

We know that. Every company has issues. Every company knows they have issues. The difference is we're not living under the delusion that we can do anything to help beyond either staying with them and supporting them, or moving to another company whose issues we can more comfortably deal with.

And if you're not asking people to drop Dish over Disney, why did you call this thread "So who's jumping ship?"

I have offered to help dish to fix the issues in lue of just posting here and complaining. No matter what I do people don't care and want to complain about me, just because it's me!

I honestly don't care what they think, but if the time comes and they need my help I'll be more than happy to help them in any way. I want to help dish be a better company, and some here just see the complaints and not the underlining reasons. They just don't get it! With change always comes resistance and I will never sell out my beliefs! Wich is why I will continue the fight!

I want to do good things, others just can't see that with their blinders on!
And just who are you, anyway? Do you own a satellite TV company? Do you own another company with the capital to partner with or take over Dish and lead it to a better way of doing things? Are you well known within the industry, a trusted adviser that companies can turn to when they need to?

Because unless you are, you're really not going to do anything to help anyone, least of all yourself. And if you are, why are you spending all your time here? Because you're living under a delusion that you can swoop in and save the poor Dish network from its horrible overlords. Maybe there's a white horse that carries you in. Maybe you just appear out of the sky, like an angel of mercy.

Come on. If somebody like me, who has been on this forum this short a time, can see it, maybe there's actually something to it? What do you really hope to accomplish? The only thing these companies respond to is money. If they're really as bad as you say, they'll learn it when people start leaving in droves, when the stock prices go down. That's really all any of us can do - put our money where our mouths are.

I'm sorry to be so blunt. But sometimes, things need to be said.

Ringthane said:
We know that. Every company has issues. Every company knows they have issues. The difference is we're not living under the delusion that we can do anything to help beyond either staying with them and supporting them, or moving to another company whose issues we can more comfortably deal with.

And if you're not asking people to drop Dish over Disney, why did you call this thread "So who's jumping ship?"

And just who are you, anyway? Do you own a satellite TV company? Do you own another company with the capital to partner with or take over Dish and lead it to a better way of doing things? Are you well known within the industry, a trusted adviser that companies can turn to when they need to?

Because unless you are, you're really not going to do anything to help anyone, least of all yourself. And if you are, why are you spending all your time here? Because you're living under a delusion that you can swoop in and save the poor Dish network from its horrible overlords. Maybe there's a white horse that carries you in. Maybe you just appear out of the sky, like an angel of mercy.

Come on. If somebody like me, who has been on this forum this short a time, can see it, maybe there's actually something to it? What do you really hope to accomplish? The only thing these companies respond to is money. If they're really as bad as you say, they'll learn it when people start leaving in droves, when the stock prices go down. That's really all any of us can do - put our money where our mouths are.

I'm sorry to be so blunt. But sometimes, things need to be said.

First of all it's attitudes like this that has made wallstreet and Corp America the stronghold it Is today. You have no room to question me as you don't know who I am or how long I have been in this industry! I have every right as a consumer / shareholder to question a publicly traded company who has to answer to the public! I have been in this industry longer than alot of people know and think. You don't need alot of money or run a company in order to help it, or be a trusted advisor.

Saying that you can't fix things is wrong because you can! Also does anyone remember enron? Dish is on the same path. Your attitude is exactly why companies like bp can destroy our gulf and get away with it. It's s shame.

It's quite apparent that people like you just don't get it that taking care of your coustomers will take care of you!!!! Instead all you see is. $$$$$$$$!

And like a true lemming you stick to the script and accept status quo. Status quo doesn't fly any more! It's posts like yours that keeps me fired up! The title has nothing to do with what I want, it's a general question to see if any one is jumping ship. Like a true misspoken lemming you read too much into it.

Why do you have to cancel Dish and go back to DirecTV
when the Disney and ESPN HD channels might be
turned back on in less then a months time?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)