So why DO they use independent installs?

JaydeeD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2003
Well as I posted in another thread, My scheduled install tomorrow is cancelled because the regional Independent Installs center has not received my equipment yet, and even when they do, they still need to ship it to my local installer. I am beyond P***ed off!!!

By now Voom knows Independent Installs are dropping the ball, I have yet to hear of one on time installation, so either they just don't care (VOOM) or are too stupid to fix it, by now they should have either went with a different insaller company if Independent can't do the job, or possibly its Voom themselves not getting the equipment out on time.

All I know is this is a horrible way to do business, and thier product and brand name are getting a worse reputation every successive day!!!

To all Voom people who read this......FIX IT NOW!!!!

They are probably under contract right now. Just like the deal with Sears. They really dropped the ball when they contracted Installer Inc and Sears. Send an e-mail to Wilt so that he can escalate your request.

wilth@optonline.net with the following information: your name, address, with zipcode, and phone number.

Plus they pay so little to get independents to do the job, that it is cheaper than creating various branch install centers and paying people to man them. Plus they are then subcontractors and not employees so they don't have to pay benefits and there are tax advantages as well.

Well I don't think they need to create branches to save money, all they need to do when someone orders is locate the closest DBS installer, (in my case its my brother, he lives 10 miles away and is a seller and installer of Dish network and C Band, also does all the commercial satellite service in a 200 mile radius) anyway all they have to do is call a local satellite business, and say "wanna do a job for us?"

Why do they use the idiots?
Simple, to save money.
Please look at my post regarding a simple install.
Just folllow the furring strip

My install was right on schedule. You very rarely here the good around here. I wonder what the exact percentage is of bad installers?

milkman said:
My install was right on schedule. You very rarely here the good around here. I wonder what the exact percentage is of bad installers?

seems to me that most the bad stuff is coming from the same company's over and over and in certain state not all state are having this problems

I am quick to jump on top of the crook/flake installers out there but there are just as many if not more fine installers, how can you blame the installer because they do not have the system in hand, I am sure they have had very little to do with the setup of the sales, marketing and distribution, I have told everyone quite a few times how to get an above average install, but it takes time and you have to stand your ground. There are not many nationwide satellite installation outfits that have the capacity that I.Inc. has, they have been handed a hot potato and are doing their best to handle a very fluid situation and product. If you can be patient and realise the magnitude of such a nationwide undertaking and the learning curve involved I am sure you will think it to be worth it in the end, VoOM is THE system for such a large cluster of HD programming, good luck.

Lets not jump on Voom for installers INC. WHat other option is there? none. created your own nationwide install company? no one has the bucks to do that.

An interesting story. When I first got D* installed for HD. Installs inc sent a guy to the house. Beat up ford ranger or S10 with cap and accompaining 12 yr old boy as I recall. "O you have one of those (e86), Never done one of those before" I thought to myself, "dont you dare say you cant install it bozo" LMAO. Fortunately everything went smoothly except that he didnt know how to work the thing. He had to call D* for instructions.

SO dont thing uninformed installers is just limited to Voom.

Exactly, most of the same installers that are installing Voom are also installing D* and E*. It isn't even the companies that are bad, it's the few employees in each company that have a poor work ethic. It's almost human nature to come to a forum like this and only post your complaints or issues you have with the install. Folks come here to find a solution to a problem or to verify information. If everyone that had a good install came here and posted...My install went great, 90 minutes and I was Vooming...the responses would start out with congratulations for a while but inevitably someone would chime in saying...Oh, I only wish I was so lucky. Let me tell you...and so on. Let's admit it, we all hope for the best with everyone's installs but the complaints and issues are more entertaining to read and talk about.

I am just as frustrated as anyone else. I was supposed to be installed yesterday- had gotten a call a couple of days ago to confirm and....

No Show!

Called VOOM
Called Installs, Inc.
Called the local install company.

10 calls and still no resolution and don't know when I'll get Voom'ed. However, I am not ready to blame VOOM. D*, E* and most cable companies also use independent installers and I've been screwed by cable installers before. At least D* and E* have a self install option. That's really what VOOM needs.

As Walsh24 said the other satellite companies use Installers inc too. Also with all these promotions going on Installer Inc are overwelmed with jobs. Also Voom is the only satellite company that gives its customer an OTA antenna which these installers have little experience with since D* and E* don't include them with their installs.

Lars said:
I am just as frustrated as anyone else. I was supposed to be installed yesterday- had gotten a call a couple of days ago to confirm and....

No Show!

Called VOOM
Called Installs, Inc.
Called the local install company.

10 calls and still no resolution and don't know when I'll get Voom'ed. However, I am not ready to blame VOOM. D*, E* and most cable companies also use independent installers and I've been screwed by cable installers before. At least D* and E* have a self install option. That's really what VOOM needs.
I totally agree with the suggestion of self installs but there is no way for Voom to ensure that the people asking to do it themselves are actually savvy enough to handle it. Granted they have quite a mess on their hands now but can you imagine how bad it would be if that was currently an option :eek:

It's a damned if you do damned if you don't thing. However, if you try to do it yourself and can't- you can always get an installer out. If your installer doesn't come and your stuck, you don't even have the opportunity to TRY it yourself. Only VOOM and CABLE force you to be installed by someone that I can guarantee you knows less than I do about how to do it. (I have installed both D* and E* for myself as well as a second dish for E* and the triple LNB dish for D* along with aiming my own OTA antenna for HD locals). I am sure I could handle a Voom install. But, I don't have that option.

hey if you keep calling installs about the no show, and tell them you can not get this installer to come for you, someone will escalate the call and *magically* I bet your installer will show up... ;) Installers like keeping their contracts, and escalations make them look bad. Looking bad gets them less job, less money. See? Call installs. Again. They will try contacting your installer, and they will reschedule (as long as they have the equipment), or escalate. Escalation puts the installer in a bad place.

;)

I think the interesting thing is that the first time sat HD user that signs up for voom doesnt realize that it could be much worse. This is the typical situation as follows, in my area:

1. user buys first HDTV
1a User tries cable and chuckles.
2. User signs one year contract with D* and pays 400 dollars for a reciever.
3. INstalls inc installs D*
4. User realizes hes only getting 6 HD channels.
5. User realizes his local in local isnt HD or even good SD
6. User buys 3 antennas, terk sticks, loops, clip ons etc. they all fail
7. User finds the right info after months of failure and orders a decent antenna if hes lucky, this is after missing 3 weeks of MNF in HD
8. User installs antenna, learns about diplexers.
9. User has now doubled his HD from 6 to 12.
10. After a couple months he's tired of discovery repeats, and no HD on espnhd
11. User looks around for another service now 6 months into D* contract.
12. User finds voom, signs up for free install and pays D* 60 bucks to break the contract.
13. User now reads complaints about V* installs on satguys, laughs, and thinks a month or two of hassels at no cost would have been preferable to the 200 bucks in useless TERK antennas, the 60 dollar D* cancelation fee and the aggrevation. Not to mention the 400 dollar D* reciever he had to buy.

SO if your having problems with Voom providing you OTA remember, things could be a lot worse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)