Special: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What will one use that Card Slot for here?
North America is not it's only market

But what do you need networking for
IPTV possibly? Card Sharing possibly, I believe it's legal in some countries. Channel Lists, Photos, who knows.

But FTA channels are gradually converted to newer formats like 4:2:2
4:2:2 is not new. :)

Do we know how sensitive its tuner is?
I'm sure somebody does. I don't really care.
At least we know that about STBs currently on the market that can be bought used quite cheap and also have ATSC tuner.
As far as I know, they never said it had an ATSC tuner.

The main question though to ask is simple: do you already have an STB with similar or better feature set?
Yes I do. :) If the box doesn't fit you, then wait for one that does. Don't knock somebody's product just because it doesn't suit your particular needs.

If the answer is "Yes", what's then the rush to buy another one without even waiting for its feature demonstration and NA test results? Just because its on sale?
Why not? :)

I don't knock anyone's products - read both threads about this STB to learn that. Just because you referred to each sentence of my post, doesn't mean you answered any of them. In fact, they weren't addressed to you in particular in the 1st place. Telling something irrelevant like IPTV is not an answer to very clear manufacturer's report that this box does not support anything via LAN apart from claimed firmware update no-one tested here. Don't mislead people by empty posts answering nothing and false hypothetical features that were never offered or confirmed to be added later. In fact, Memory modules info was omitted in the spec, and its quite important to know to envision extend of possible firmware upgrades and the STB's ability to support advanced features.

Last edited:
In fact, they weren't addressed to you in the 1st place.
This is an open forum.

Don't mislead people by empty posts answering nothing and false hypothetical features that were never offered or confirmed to be added later.
Who's misleading?

Telling something irrelevant like IPTV is not an answer to very clear manufacturer's report that this box does not support anything via LAN apart from claimed firmware update no-one tested.
You asked why is was put there, not if it works. May be they have intentions that they have not been able to implement. Or it's a Generic Board with just their firmware.

I don't knock anyone's products
I think you do. You may or may not, that's just how I read your posts. They also sound rude, to me at least.

Well, this is not the first time you're trying to slander others of something "they might intend doing wrong" without any proof to promote your position or personal interest. I remember that well. Now IPTV is your proof, or may be Card Sharing? It does not support both. On top, in other world regions the STB is or will be offered for sale through their local distribution channels similar to other company products. ;)

Last edited:
Well, this is not the first time you try to slander others of something "they might do bad" without any proof to promote your position or personal interest. I remember that well.
Slander is a far stretch from criticism.

Now IPTV is your proof, or may be Card Sharing?
You'll just have to wait until I try the unit out. :)

The main question though to ask is simple: do you already have an STB with similar or better feature set?
yes and no. While the azbox can view all channels the blind scan sucks. I dont have a receiver that blind scans DVB-S2. When I can buy a vantage for 350 bucks or this one for sub 200....what do you think I would do?

If the answer is "Yes", what's then the rush to buy another one at any price without even waiting for its feature demonstration and NA test results? Just because its on sale?
you dont get how some of us FTA guys work. ;)
Do we need another box? probably not
Do we want another box? heck yeah

-Why did I buy a Coolsat 4000 when it first came out? Because it had a fast blind scan and I wanted to try it out. I wanted one that was faster than my Pansat 1500
-Why did I buy a Coolsat 5000 when it first came out? Because it had some perks that the 4000 didn't. I sold the 4000 after I tried the 5000
-Why did I buy a Pansat 6000 when they first came out? Because it had dual tuners and a PVR built in. I tried it for a while, didnt like how it worked (and had a bug) and sold it
-Why did I get one of the first Coolsat 8000's? This was a pre-order too. Because it did HD, DVB-S2 and had a OTA tuner in it. Hell the 8000 they forgot to put satellite software in it at first. No blind scan on it
-Why did I buy a Pansat 9200 when it first came out? I already had a HD receiver and the 9200 couldnt do S2 without the add'l card. I bought it because it had a PVR option (that wasnt set up until a few software releases). I used it but figured the 8000 did the trick so I sold the 9200
-Why did I buy an azbox for 4:2:2 and DVB-S2 when I already had a Quali-TV (that does 4:2:2) and a Coolsat 8000 (that does DVB-S2)? Because I can't record any 4:2:2 items since the analog ports on the Q crapped out.

I guess I call it reinvesting. Also some of us like to try out new products. This hobby is addicting and there are some people who will sit on the sidelines and let other folks try out products (be a beta tester in some cases :p ) then decide and then there are folks who figure "well damn I've been a beta tester with so many machines...what's another one?"

I don't knock anyone's products
uh yeah you do. There have been threads when you trash a receiver but tell someone "oh buy a PC card because they can do more".

Considering buying a sat PC Card as an alternative to any STB is always a good idea, it doesn't mean trashing an STB. It all depends on the user needs and knowledge bits, all options better be looked at. I still suggest to consider buying a Sat PC Card among other things when looking to upgrade sat equipment. :)

How about yourself - did you trash it too? ;)

Well you didnt answer the question...Does it support 4:2:2?

Just because it does support DVB-S2 doesnt mean it supports 4:2:2 (**cough** VANTAGE **cough**)

seems like you dont want to answer the questions....you seem to spin it differently with other info.

Does it support 4:2:2??

If it can do 4:2:2 also (which isnt in the specs or yet to be proven) then that is great. If it can do blind scan but not 4:2:2 its no better than a Pansat 9200

If it cant do either (BS or 4:2:2) then my Coolsat 8000 is BETTER than (since it has a OTA tuner) and much cheaper :)

I want it to do blind scan (DVB for sure...DVB-S2 would be a plus) and to do 4:2:2 yet we have not had confirmation that it does either other than him saying "yes it does"...

Thats all I'm saying.....show me proof and you'll get more sales than a few guinea pigs

Call me harsh or whatever name folks want to call me, but I along with others here have been duked in the past into buying receivers that CLAIM something....only to not have that option available or a piss poor version of it (can you hear me now Captiveworks???)

You're comparing apples to kumquat there. No where did azbox say "oh yes we have blind scan. Now buy from us" when it was asked. Or when we asked if it did 4:2:2 we get "oh yes it does" but they never tried it.

well looks like this box is not all its cracked up to be

From Sadoun himself
I am having the same problem

see why I was leery? I will be PM'ing or calling Sadoun and cancelling my order. My Coolsat 8000 doesnt have blind scan or 4:2:2 capability yet it has OTA on it :)

I'm glad DVB World already demonstrated the STB's Blindscan capability, but a lot more questions remain unanswered yet. The company doesn't have to answer them, but again what's the rush to buy until they do? I just don't get it. May be I'm not into "beta testing" like youself :rolleyes:, but I feel product spec and performance questions have the right to be asked - or its only allowed for you?

Last edited:
C'mon guys relax. I learn by doing and in the past 3 years have learned more here than in the first 19 of having satellite TV. My part of this started out with keeping my BUD going and expanded from there.

We're all different here. I consider myself just a hobbyist, certainly NOT an electronics, computer expert or broadcast engineer. But, I love to tinker with things. Sure, I have a stash of off all sorts or receivers and gadgets because I like them not because I need any of it. It's a pastime. A hobby shouldn't be something to get so worked up about among ourselves. I'm not about to worry what chip is in the box or whatever. Enjoy it.

zamar
Since you snipped part of my responses and not the whole thing all I asked for was PROOF that it blind scanned. Telling me "yes it does" but no proof is why I ripped them. If the manufacturer didnt respond when we asked there wouldnt be an issue. But saying something and proving it are 2 different things. And last I checked I did buy one....didnt I? ;)

We're all different here. I consider myself just a hobbyist, certainly NOT an electronics, computer expert or broadcast engineer. But, I love to tinker with things. Sure, I have a stash of off all sorts or receivers and gadgets because I like them not because I need any of it. It's a pastime. A hobby shouldn't be something to get so worked up about among ourselves. I'm not about to worry what chip is in the box or whatever. Enjoy it.

I agree :up

I have boxes of LNB's, switches, etc and oodles of cable here and nobody has ever had issues before. So what if some of us like to "beta test" (as in being one of the 1st ones to try it) products?

Other folks may have hobbies like collecting stamps, baseball cards, or whatever. If you want to collect those, thats fine

I guess some of us collect receivers :)

And as my mother would say "well I guess you spending your money on this hobby is better than spending it on other things that are illegal"

Well, I probably have more Amateur Radio equipment than I really need and I'm sure
heading the same direction in this hobby. But I'm enjoying myself and not hurting
anyone. And for the comment "consider buying a Sat PC Card", I have been and probably
will. My wife just looks, smiles, shakes her head and says "Boys and thier toys"

Zamar,

I felt like you are bashing this receiver the last couple of days. That is fine and your right. It seems, no receiver will satisfy you if it does not have all the bells and whistles that you want and for a LOW price. You may have to wait :)

As you know, this is a brand new receiver. Newly developed and just being introduced at a sub $200 retail. As compared to the alternatives in the market, as some members pointed out, it is a good price point.

The receiver has most of what users need, but not all. We will have to wait and see how the performance and quality of this product once our competent users here get their hands on one of these.

If it satisfies the guys at Satelliteguys, it will satisfy the average Joe user for sure. In fact the average Joe does not even know what DiSEqC 1.2, USALS, BLIND SEARCH, DVB, DVB-S2, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or MPEG4 even means.

BTW, Not everyone drives the same car, right. Everyone has his own taste, needs, and budget. We all wish we can buy the car below for less than $20,000, but we can continue to dream.

Attachments

• 2002%20Lamborghini%20Murcielago.jpg
    2002%20Lamborghini%20Murcielago.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 93
Zamar,

I felt like you are bashing this receiver the last couple of days. That is fine and your right. It seems, no receiver will satisfy you if it does not have all the bells and whistles that you want and for a LOW price. You may have to wait :)

As you know, this is a brand new receiver. Newly developed and just being introduced at a sub $200 retail. As compared to the alternatives in the market, as some members pointed out, it is a good price point.

The receiver has most of what users need, but not all. We will have to wait and see how the performance and quality of this product once our competent users here get their hands on one of these.

If it satisfies the guys at Satelliteguys, it will satisfy the average Joe user for sure. In fact the average Joe does not even know what DiSEqC 1.2, USALS, BLIND SEARCH, DVB, DVB-S2, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or MPEG4 even means.

BTW, Not everyone drives the same car, right. Everyone has his own taste, needs, and budget. We all wish we can buy the car below for less than $20,000, but we can continue to dream.

Nice car Sadoun, selling satelllite gear is more lucrative than I imagined:D

Jamal

It sounds like this sale is going better than expected. Just a few days, and already a Lamb... :D

I really wish lack to this receiver, and any other your products. :up

In fact the average Joe does not even know what DiSEqC 1.2, USALS, BLIND SEARCH, DVB, DVB-S2, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or MPEG4 even means.
To be honest, I didn't think about it, but probably need to. Would you explain, what an average Joe is looking for now in a FTA receiver? May be in PM, if its a marketing secret... I mean, the slogan "HD Multimedia Receiver" sounds good. Anything else matters? ;)

Last edited:
It's a "winter" car, 'cause you can afford the winter get-away house that goes with it :)
True, but you need two of them since it wont fit in the Lear Jet when you head to the condo in Maui for the summer.........
Zanmar, You are a bit abrasive in your presentation of your opinion, but I do see your point. Thing is this is an off the rack world for most, and wanting tailormade and affording it are two different things. The two concepts are mutally exclusive. That's not to say one shouldnt look for value in their purchases, but value is subjective, and means completely different things to different people.

Regarding the buy it just because it's on sale - Several yerars ago while digging around in the back of the closet, I came across a Vanity Fair bag. Opening it up I found a nice sweater, still tagged and a receipt dated almost 3 years earler! I brought it to my XYL's attention, and she said, very smugly, "Oh I forgot about that."
"Why did you buy it?"
"Because I needed it."
"Really?!?" (she definately does NOT need more clothes...or shoes...or purses...or belts....lol)
"Well, OK, I wanted it."
So, now everytime I get "that look" when i talk about buying something I "need", I start recanting that story.........I dont hear anything else about it.....lol

Truthfully I had intended to get one of these STBs on this round if the supply had held out, regardless of the unanswered questions. If it will do what it says, it is better than what I have now, and for the price is a good deal, comparitively speaking. One can only hope that bug fixes and support for desired features will be forthcomming. I'd like to believe the mfgrs see a bigger picture and would develop the market as opposed to becomming yet another fly by night FTA supplier. I really dont believe they will do that. NA is a rich market. I agree with your point that diversety in equipment benefits all. This may be to the AZ what it was to the Vantage, Quali, and other STBs that domananted the DVB-S2 market.

I see some complain about the number of FW releases for the AZ and I am amazed. They are prolly the same peeps that would bitch it there weren't any releases.....lol. I look at it like the developers are working at solutions and enhancements, rather than patching patches. (That view point DOES NOT extend to Micro$oft though!)
Since I have to wait, I dont know what I will end up getting between now and then, if anything. As I posted, I'm in no hurry.
I often pass on a good deal, if it's not what I'm really looking for, but I almost never pass up what I want, whether it's a good deal or not.

Last edited:
Fact is we're blessed to live in the good ole USA. We can buy what we want, when we want, if we have the money to buy it. Good credit helps too. We can love it or complain about it too. Some of the earlier comments I agree with...we don't know everything about this new receiver. However I'm willing to take a chance that it will be better than what I have now. I wish could've afforded a Quali or a Pansat with the optional board. But I work hard like many here in these forums, working hard for every dime. I feel blessed at this time to have a chance at a fairly decent receiver, and have the money to buy it. I hope its everything I'm looking for or with some updated firmware down the road it will be. Blind
P.S. Sadoun you can get that car at Walmart....in the toy aisle that is...pretty cheap too lol

yes and no. While the azbox can view all channels the blind scan sucks. I dont have a receiver that blind scans DVB-S2. When I can buy a vantage for 350 bucks or this one for sub 200....what do you think I would do?

you dont get how some of us FTA guys work. ;)
Do we need another box? probably not
Do we want another box? heck yeah

-Why did I buy a Coolsat 4000 when it first came out? Because it had a fast blind scan and I wanted to try it out. I wanted one that was faster than my Pansat 1500
-Why did I buy a Coolsat 5000 when it first came out? Because it had some perks that the 4000 didn't. I sold the 4000 after I tried the 5000
-Why did I buy a Pansat 6000 when they first came out? Because it had dual tuners and a PVR built in. I tried it for a while, didnt like how it worked (and had a bug) and sold it
-Why did I get one of the first Coolsat 8000's? This was a pre-order too. Because it did HD, DVB-S2 and had a OTA tuner in it. Hell the 8000 they forgot to put satellite software in it at first. No blind scan on it
-Why did I buy a Pansat 9200 when it first came out? I already had a HD receiver and the 9200 couldnt do S2 without the add'l card. I bought it because it had a PVR option (that wasnt set up until a few software releases). I used it but figured the 8000 did the trick so I sold the 9200
-Why did I buy an azbox for 4:2:2 and DVB-S2 when I already had a Quali-TV (that does 4:2:2) and a Coolsat 8000 (that does DVB-S2)? Because I can't record any 4:2:2 items since the analog ports on the Q crapped out.

I guess I call it reinvesting. Also some of us like to try out new products. This hobby is addicting and there are some people who will sit on the sidelines and let other folks try out products (be a beta tester in some cases :p ) then decide and then there are folks who figure "well damn I've been a beta tester with so many machines...what's another one?"

uh yeah you do. There have been threads when you trash a receiver but tell someone "oh buy a PC card because they can do more".

Good post. I agree 100%.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts