Special: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The main question though to ask is simple: do you already have an STB with similar or better feature set? If the answer is "Yes", what's then the rush to buy another one at any price without even waiting for its feature demonstration and NA test results? Just because its on sale? :D

Because we enjoy this great hobby of ours and would do anything to test out a new receiver.

Ok, I will make it right for you all then.

All orders entered until the 25th of this month will be included in the above promotion (pending we are able to secure stock from the factory).

However, as I mentioned before, these pre-orders will not ship for another 6-8 weeks (hopefully sooner, but can't promise at this point).

PEACE

Thank you very much Sadoun!

Melgagra

Familiar situation with sweaters in our closet. Strange thing is, some of these no longer fit, while never been worn. :)

I was in a local Satellite store recently - we are lucky to have several around. I don't know where they get their stock, but there was a number of no-name cheap boxes I never heard of. I didn't pay much attention to these, was looking for a quality dish, but next time I'll definitely pickup a few boxes to try. May be this is the side of this hobby, I need to get closer familiar with. They don't accept returns though, with that side I'm already familiar. ;)

LOL. The sweater still fit her fine, but I cant say that if it had been a bit tighter that I would have complained about the view.....:D

AFAIK there is only one B&M satellite store in the area and it is in Houston proper (technically Bellaire). I stopped by there this week while in the big city for a peek. They did have some linear mode FTA supplies, 30-48" dishes, motors, some WSI and other C and Ku LNBs and of course the "popular" FTA boxes at retail prices. I was pleased to see they were not just catering to the patcheye crowd. Maybe if the FTA project in the other thread takes off he will be able to stay in bussiness. I got the impression things we pretty slow.
For tinkering, cheap enough would be one thing for a disposable STB, but I suspect lots of those come and gone boxes never got the bug out of the FW before they were abandoned.
The thing I want to take time play with is the (STi5518 based) 301/DRD420/Gaboa to Pansat conversion. SD only but if could find the source code for the FW version I have, and learn to muddle my way thru C++, I think it would be a fun home brew devlopment project. I have the CS 4,5,6K source code. A jtagable 4K would make a nice little sand box to play in.(CS 5&6K are not Sti based)
There were many STBs based on that SoC. Possibly one of the cheapos you are looking at are too. Post what info you can gather on them and maybe you can get some feedback on them first.
I used to have a list of all the known 5518 STBs around here somewhere......

I dont really watch much TV, but I am constantly looking to see what there is to watch......:rolleyes:

In fact the average Joe does not even know what DiSEqC 1.2, USALS, BLIND SEARCH, DVB, DVB-S2, 4:2:0, 4:2:2, or MPEG4 even means.

first let me say thank you for bring out a box in these times.
but i do think you underestimate" the average Joe user for sure".
to know about this box they read here and these new users had boxes that really don't work well with this hobby. and had to educate themselves. and what a better place than here.
good luck with the box

I strongly agree with Sadoun's assessment of the current market. The majority of sales and customers who pay our bills are not the advanced "Satellite Guys" hobbyist group. The "Average Joe" provides well over 95% of FTA sales. Wearing the Satellite AV hat, I confirm that most "Average Joe's" in North America only watch one or two FTA channels on a single satellite. If that channel moves, they will follow. The move may be to another transponder or format, but if that one channel is important, they will reaim, rescan, upgrade, etc. ......

I applaud Sadoun Satellite for taking a risk on bringing this new receiver to the North American market in this economy. The unit appears to be a reasonably priced receiver with features to exceed the needs of the company's target customers in a MPEG 4 transitional market .... Bonus: Possibly meet the needs of a select group of hobbyist and support to further develop features beyond those required by the "Average Joe!

The unit may not offer the specific features or hardware that a high end user demands, but Henry Ford wasn't successful because he built a Lamborghini for every "Average Joe's" garage!

Satellite AV

Thanks for clarification, but I would only partially agree with such view. Yes, most folks would only watch one FTA sat, usually a channel broadcast from their home country. I see it when looking at dishes mounted on most houses and buildings in the area. If that channel upgrades, they have to upgrade. In large urban areas its mostly Ku-band broadcast they would seek to receive.

However that drawn down requirement is only true for a regular sat receiver. When it comes to a Multimedia Receiver, it may no longer be relevant. I've read marketing reports that say people buy Multimedia Receivers to combine several functions in one box and save money by doing that. In particular, in some countries in 2009 more people were buying a Multimedia Receiver to play and record files over LAN (while low quality YouTube and such Playback remains insignificant in demand) than to receive sat signals. The key is a reasonably priced unit with high quality media processor like recent Sigma models. It does allow to save a lot on cutting several extra devices out. You download a new movie from the web and play it over LAN on such STB, no HTPC required. You record a sat feed game broadcast or movie from the STB to your PC over LAN, and play it at more convenient time, no extra recording devices or high quality video scalers required. You watch IPTV or Sat TV via the same box, and can even check your e-mail while at it to cut time. I know some browser vendors like Opera experience extreme business grows due to proliferation of such features into various STB models currently being developed.

Hence, your observation while based on own experience may no longer reflect the technology trend. Now to say that consumer is grossly stupid is not correct either. Otherwise new technology would never find way in most people homes, they would keep buying whatever a local sat store would offer, and that would be the cheapest model they can directly procure from a Chinese factory or large distributor. If it were true, sat stores would flourish now, which is not the case in NA. Is there still a demand for sat equipment? It certainly is, but the model demand is changing. Also, in large or border cities OTA gear is of very high demand, and a STB combining DVB and OTA tuners is certainly a preferred choice for many.

So while some may think based on past experience, higher feature and capability integration requirement into a single unit is just for elite users, the market research in European countries, were such devices are in broader use now, does not support this conclusion. In fact, it states the opposite.

That said, cheaper STB models with cut back capabilities, which can still play other file formats from a USB drive apart from TS, have the right to exist and being offered for sale and probably even called "Multimedia Receiver", if there is demand for them. Nothing wrong with that either. I agree with Sadoun on that. I just had an impression that improving feature set of this particular STB (if at all possible) would result in increased demand on it and also drive prices on more sophisticated models like AZBox down. And probably make FTA more appealing to a younger audience: they would buy a STB like this for multimedia and socializing on the web via a large TV, camera and wireless keyboard, but then get curious what else to add like a dish or antenna set to receive sat or OTA channels, thus furthering this hobby. May be I was wrong, who knows... Each product has its own customer base, like you say. ;)

Last edited:
I have a few basic spec questions though about this STB:

- what file formats this STB can play back and record via USB?
- what its ROM, RAM and Video memory modules capacity?

Once the company says its an upgradeable Linux Multimedia Receiver (in other words, a unit similar to a Linux HTPC), the above basic info is expected to be provided.

Notes:
No 4:2:2 out of the box
No hardware Blind Search. Only NIT and Auto Search
No internal hard-drive included with receiver. You can connect an optional external HD or Flash Memory through USB.

Sadoun should remove the "No hardware Blind Search." part. You might sell more.

Actually it seems the right thing to do, and would tend to curb the likely relentless number of "Will it do Hardware Blindscan?" PMs and emails. By stating up front what the limitations are, people will know exactly what they are, and are not getting.
"Selling more" as a result of a customer not knowing, or not knowing to ask about a feature would be taking advantage of the under-educated. Seeing the statement "No hardware Blind Search. Only NIT and Auto Search" should prompt the newcommer to research what that feature is and become a better informed purchaser.
Personally, I appreciate facts and specifics (specifications) on stuff I am inclined to purchase. There is no such thing as "TMI" on the subject. It shows me I am purchasing from a vendor that is interested in me making an informed purchase.
I am frequently irritated by items presented by "PowerSellers" that are clueless about what they are selling, as long as they can peddle it for a buck, they are happy.
It is probably a good thing Fleabay has such rigid interaction rules, 'cause there are many of them I'd love to give a virtual bitch slap if I could.
Thanks, Sadoun. Stay with the policy. IMO, it is actually good for bussiness.

Last edited:
"Selling more" as a result of a customer not knowing, or not knowing to ask about a feature would be taking advantage of the under-educated.
Isn't that a typical way how things are sold? :D I mean, look at prices and sales pitch for HDMI cable or splitters at Best Buy and such. Actually, here the manufacturer included a lot more spec data they usually do. I assume that's because Sadoun asked him :up, and it was asked before by forum members for other DVB World products. Still some claims remain unsupported, like saying its a "Multimedia Receiver", but suddenly "forgetting" to list file formats it can play. ;) Hope, testing will show its a good one, and I'd expect a good one from DVB World, unless it was designed by another company. DVBWorld also sells DreamBox and other STBs they don't seems to make.

Last edited:
Typical yes, and very common practice as well. That is my point.
Does the practice stem from intentionally obscuring info, or indifference and laziness to offer the most info on a product they carry.
We as consumers are fortunate to be able to interact with vendors and pose questions and concerns that we have and have those vendors take the initiative to get the answers.
I dont believe the omission of file compatability for the "Multimedia files playback (by USB)" was intentional, just not high on the priority list of thing peeps want to know and probably fell thru the cracks when compiling the presentation. Suffice it to say that it will likely support playback of all popular media formats, either initially or eventually thru FW updates.
In my view a "Multimedia Receiver" by definition should be capable of data transport and streaming over IP via LAN or wireless. They have made no such claims (that I've seen) but with an ethernet port in the hardware it would seem to be a logical plan of evolution of the unit. Baby step Zamar....it hasnt made it to, much less thru the scrutiny of the Beta/field testers yet.

Yeah possibly just get out the first production run. ;) I don't think however we can easily assume everything will be added later, since another spec is also "suddenly" missing: memory types and sizes. That's the big one, the one that prevents most STBs from adding anything at all to what initially come out except some minor bug fixes. The company resources may also be stretched preventing to add significant new features to the firmware during a short typical model lifespan of such units.

I don't know what the big deal about whether it's usable as a media player is. I mean I totally have no clue. If you want a media player, you can get one, and one of these receivers, and an ethernet hub and an HDMI switch if limited plug options is an issue, for less than the price of a blind-scanning AZBox. The only thing the AZ brings to the table is 4:2:2, assuming that this can't and won't handle it.

Valid points, and begs the question is this a PC based DVB box or a Linux based STB. Until someone pops the cover and enlightens us, we are left to presume the mfgr has the insight to design for expansion and revision. It would be a poor bussiness acumin not to do so AFAIC, but not a deal breaker if the rest of the advertized specs prove accurate. User installable DDR or even PC memory would be a plus.

Like you pointed out though, features are a function of the coders and resource management a function of their efficiency. If it meets or exceeds released specs, and regardless of any potential fixed resource deficiencies, I still believe it will be a contender as an entry level S2 unit. Enhancements would be a plus.

The very fact that the discussion has been to such length and detail will likely benefit the overall development of features and additions, provided the mfgr has their collective ears to the ground.

I am eagerly awaiting feedback from those that got in on the 1st round of sales. Pics of the internals would be a plus if they didnt risk voiding their warranty.

Perhaps Sadoun will serve up the Demo/Display unit he will have as a sacrificial lamb for the purpose of photo documentation.

I think Sadoun is showing his experience here. The details on this box are sketchy at best, it is just shipping from the factory now so no one has had a chance to give any hands on input. It is a total unknown. It may well have a dvb-s2 blind scan but there is the possibility it might in reality be next to useless, these things have happened before.
I'm hoping for the best and am prepared for not the best.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts