Spitfire Elite LNBF Failures

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
After my first Spitfire Elite Universal LNBF failed after only 8 days I ordered two additional Spitfire Elite LNBF's to evaluate. Today I performed testing on various LNBF's while home on vacation. Once again I was very impressed by the Spitfire Elite Universal LNBF compared to the others I tested. It was the only LNBF that received "Montana PBS" with a steady signal with no breaking up.

However, once I moved the dish to the next satellite "Galaxy 18" there was no signal. I then moved to other satellites and again no signal. Returned to AMC21 and no signal. I then removed the Spitfire Elite LNBF and installed another brand and the signal returned. I now have two non-working Spitfire Elite LNBF's!!!

I'm wondering if it is because I have my diseqc switch installed before the motor like I posted in another post. However, I believe the diseqc switch would fail and not the LNBF and I have no problems when using other brand LNBF's.

Does anyone have any idea why this LNBF is failing when I move to another satellite? The first Spitfire lasted 8 days and my second lasted 15 minutes. I'm afraid to install my third and last Spitfire Elite LNBF. Great LNBF it it wouldn't fail so often. I thought my first one failed due to water, but it wasn't even raining today.

Mine has been running for 3 weeks without a problem and we have seen a lot of rain, 8" in 4 days. I don't have a diseqc switch in the system but I do have a motor.
I'm no expert on universal LNBFs and the diseqc protocol but don't both use 22khz tones for switching?
I believe in the case of universal LNBFs that the 22khz tone has to be continuously present for one of the local oscillators to be selected and off for the other, I had a few problems with some programs when I neglected to enter the tone switch frequency.
The diseqc switch (and motor) also use 22khz tones, but pulses for switching instead of just an on-off stage, the universal LNB and diseqc devices should play nice but it's possible you have a combination that won't.
The first thing I would try is taking out all diseqc devices and checking you software settings to verify that the LNBF is defective, it would be odd to get 2 failures in a row but strange things do happen.

Ive had the same experiences with the Spitfire elites. My setup is just a SG2100 motor and no switch. My first one lasted 2 days so I ordered another plus a spare. The second one went for 2 months then quit and the third one about 1 week. I gave up on them as I get just as good results with an old standard linear LNB without 22khz hassle plus the thing would go dead when sending motor commands so I could not see sats on the S meter as the dish swept past them.

Spitfire, disqc sw, but no motor, no problems(yet?) here. Could it be the motor putting a voltage spike on the coax, that the spitfire can't handle? My Spitfire has been in use about a week before you got your first one Popcorn.

I am voting for the spike in voltage, that has to be the only thing if you really think about it. Plus it happens after you move the dish which makes sense.

Could it be the motor putting a voltage spike on the coax

I use a motor but it's modify to use an external power source to drive the motor so the shouldn't be any voltage spikes on the co-ax line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadie View Post
I use a motor but it's modify to use an external power source to drive the motor so the shouldn't be any voltage spikes on the co-ax line.

Hmmmm??? I guess I'm outa ideas then.

Maybe I should have put that differently,
My Elite has survived 3 weeks but it's modified so the motor can't put a voltage spike down the line, so I agree it could be a voltage spike from the motor, I think so far every one who has had a problem has been using a motor.
One thing is for sure with 5 probable failures in a few week something interesting is going on here.

Ah! I misunderstood. I agree, must be something in common, and the motor looks like the common element.

Mine has been running for 3 weeks without a problem and we have seen a lot of rain, 8" in 4 days. I don't have a diseqc switch in the system but I do have a motor.
I'm no expert on universal LNBFs and the diseqc protocol but don't both use 22khz tones for switching?
I believe in the case of universal LNBFs that the 22khz tone has to be continuously present for one of the local oscillators to be selected and off for the other, I had a few problems with some programs when I neglected to enter the tone switch frequency.
The diseqc switch (and motor) also use 22khz tones, but pulses for switching instead of just an on-off stage, the universal LNB and diseqc devices should play nice but it's possible you have a combination that won't.
The first thing I would try is taking out all diseqc devices and checking you software settings to verify that the LNBF is defective, it would be odd to get 2 failures in a row but strange things do happen.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I'm going to try removing the diseqc switch and reinstalling the second Spitfire LNBF that failed to see if it actually still works.

Ive had the same experiences with the Spitfire elites. My setup is just a SG2100 motor and no switch. My first one lasted 2 days so I ordered another plus a spare. The second one went for 2 months then quit and the third one about 1 week. I gave up on them as I get just as good results with an old standard linear LNB without 22khz hassle plus the thing would go dead when sending motor commands so I could not see sats on the S meter as the dish swept past them.

Very interesting! I'm going to try writing the company to see if I get a response.

@ Popcorn, I know you are experienced, but I have a question. Are you removing the receiver from all power before removing coax connections?

I wanted to post because your last four posts are all early this morning and I am waiting to see what happens when you reconnect this to a non motored dish.

Photto

Spitfire, Switch, No motor.
My Spitfire has been in this South Texas weather for at least 6 months in 95+ heat, torrential rain storms, etc. and is still performing flawlessly. My $$$ is on the motor setup.

@ Popcorn, I know you are experienced, but I have a question. Are you removing the receiver from all power before removing coax connections?

I wanted to post because your last four posts are all early this morning and I am waiting to see what happens when you reconnect this to a non motored dish.

Photto

Yes I am removing power when switching LNBF's. The failure occurs when I move to another satellite. The first Spitfire lasted several days while switching satellites, but the second one died after switching only once. I'm not installing my third ontil I determine the cause of the failure.

Tim from DMS is sending me JSC321S-2 LNBF's as replacements. They are investigating the cause of the Spitfire Elite failures.

It will be interesting to see just how good the JSC321S-2 LNBF's perform.

Interesting choice the JSC321S is a standard and would save you the bother of having to deal with the 22khz tones.

I take it you couldn't get the Elite to function with the diseqc out of the system, I think I better order a spare.

Tim reported only 6 failures out of all the Spitfire Elite LNBF's they had ever sold. I think perhaps due to the low cost ($14 - $17 including shipping) that most people just don't bother reporting the failures.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts