Splitting the OTA antenna signal to 2nd TV

okaydave

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
What type of signal degration would I have if I split my OTA signal to a 2nd TV? Is there a better splitter than the cheap ones. I know Monster has one that is 2GHZ and $20. Is it worth the price?

I am no expert in this, but my understanding is that pretty much any two-way splitter will cut the signal... in half! ;)
("half" being -3dB...)

well the way it is if you have a two way it reduces the signal 3db meaning if you have ten db on the line you will have 7 db for each line of the splitter. You have no need for a 2 ghz splitter. You will only need a, 5-900 mghz splitter.

leomarion said:
well the way it is if you have a two way it reduces the signal 3db meaning if you have ten db on the line you will have 7 db for each line of the splitter. You have no need for a 2 ghz splitter. You will only need a, 5-900 mghz splitter.

If the signal is reduces 3db, will that affect pic quality on a digital channel?
Or if it being digital, i will eithier get it or not get it?

okaydave said:
If the signal is reduces 3db, will that affect pic quality on a digital channel?
Or if it being digital, i will eithier get it or not get it?

okaydave,
It will not effect picture quality as you are correct with the next statement, you either get it or not. Actually, installing a splitter for my OTA digital actually helped my situation out. I have an antenna in the attic and a pre-amp. I tried an tried to tune the pre-amp to the right levels, but could never get it exactly right. If I turned it down too much, I would loose signal, If I turned it up too high, I would suffer from powerful multipathing. So I left it at high power because It was a bit better. After I put a splitter in (Cheap one about $3.00) now both of my OTA tuners get great reception with no multipath problems at all. I think the attenuation of the signals that the splitter provided was just right to give me a solid (non-multipathed) signal. So it might just work out fine.

This is kinda off topic but this topic satisfied a question I have, so I thought i'd post here instead of cluttering up the forum with another redundant question.

It was mentioned here that a splitter need only pass a 5-900 mhz signal to handle OTA HDTV (right?). With that said, I recently purchased an eagle aspen multiswitch that I wondered would handle OTA HDTV signals. What is/are the frequency of OTA HDTV sigs? The eagle aspen can pass an ota (antenna) signal of: Television Antenna: 40 - 806 MHz. Would this distribute this OK?

thanks
raze

PS the model of the switcher is the eagle aspen S-4140-GX
http://www.solidsignal.com/manuals/www-solidsignal-com_SP54DC.PDF

oh queso :) if my switcher says it will transmit up to 806MHz then I should conceivably be able to pass, and subsequently receive, all the HD OTA channels, correct?

If this is correct, and I in turn distribute this signal (amplified of course) throughout the house, would I degradate the sig at all or should it pass cleanly enough?

raze

The first part is correct.

About the second part, are you talking about all channels, non HD or just OTA HD?
How were you planning on distributing the signal around your house?
When you answer the 2 questions I can follow up with more answers.

hey bridge, thanks for the reply. Well, I'm making a big assumption here thinknig that an HD antenna will also pull in Non-HD? in either case, signals will be ran from the antenna to an signal amplifier, then ran to a 5x4 multi which then shares DirecTV signals to the source where it's then separated at the diplexer.

gimme your thoughts

thanks!
raze

Razorfish

If you want to pull in all the OTA signals you should get an antenna that can pick up VHF and UHF.

Since you mentioned the 5:4 switch I assume you are running both direct TV and OTA to each location.

If so you need a diplexer at each location to separate the signals.

check! on the VHF/UHF info. Your assumption is correct. Diplexers already in place. OK, looks like we're all set. So...what do you want to do now. haha JK

Actually, one last question. There already is a huge-ass antenna located in the attic. Is it safe to assume that it will pick up OTA HD despite it being several (long before HD, I'm sure) years old?

For your last question you can only find out by trying it!! If it has the old 300ohm twin lead connector just get a transformer to 75ohm type F.
If neccessary and possible rotate it some.

Good luck.

thanks bridge! By the twin lead connector, do you mean the old 'u' shaped connectors that hooked onto the back of the TV? I know for certain there is RG59 running to the signal amplifier, so my guess is, and hopefully, the 75ohm Type F (coax, right?) is already in place. I'll rotate for signal.

raze

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts