Star Trek Discovery

Lower Decks is a comedy cartoon. If you accept it for what it is, it is pretty good.

Prodigy is cartoon for children. If you accept it for what it is, it is pretty good.

The Animated Series was also made for children, and is very typical of the Saturday morning cartoons of its era. It is actually very good, and several things that happened in it have become part of "canon".

Picard, while likewise way too woke (but still 1000 times less woke than STD) is OK. It is mostly a vehicle for the various actors to make quasi-cameos. As such it has run out of steam quickly, and is coming to an end.

All are legitimate versions of Star Trek. All are recognizable as happening in the ST universe. All reflect the Star Trek vision.

STD just doesn't. The premise is, even by the standards of science fiction, unbelievable; the characters are un-heroic; the woke preaching is incessant; and the rewriting of TOS canon, including that of what is arguably the most loved character in the entire franchise and the fate of the device/entity at the center of what is, unarguably, one of the top 10 TOS episodes, is unforgivable.

It just does not have the outlook of a bright human future that is the core of the Star Trek universe. It does not fit.

Picard, while likewise way too woke (but still 1000 times less woke than STD) is OK. It is mostly a vehicle for the various actors to make quasi-cameos. As such it has run out of steam quickly, and is coming to an end.
Picard was always planned for just 3 seasons, that was announced before Season 1 aired.

Picard was always planned for just 3 seasons, that was announced before Season 1 aired.
I get that. Picard is like going to a Star Trek convention. The various actors (most of which haven't done a lot since) show up and look like older versions of their characters and say a few syrupy lines and call Picard "old friend" and exit stage left.

Its fine, but sentiment and nostalgia only take you so far. They will soon run out of actors wanting to reprise their roles and that will be that.

I get that. Picard is like going to a Star Trek convention. The various actors (most of which haven't done a lot since) show up and look like older versions of their characters and say a few syrupy lines and call Picard "old friend" and exit stage left.

Its fine, but sentiment and nostalgia only take you so far. They will soon run out of actors wanting to reprise their roles and that will be that.
Please, they will never run out of Actors to reprise their roles for one main reason, they want to get paid, as you said in the first paragraph, when a lot of them do Star Trek Conventions to make ends meet ( and they really have to be desperate because of last year), they would jump at a chance to be on Picard or any other Star Trek show.

Still here, though, due to sports programing, I waited a few days to watch the return episode after the long hiatus. Decent episode. I like how they actually used one of the long-time bridge crew members (Owo) rather than some new character who was just introduced, or having Michael do everything herself. Though you know if Tilly was still around, Michael would have brought her instead. :facepalm

Reactions: TheKrell
Watched TGB last night and, aside from the personal stories, which just tend to drag the story-telling to a crawl, I kept pondering one point...the Galactic Barrier is shown as a wall in a defined area, with what looked like a top and bottom. So, why go through the middle of it when you could avoid it entirely by going over it or under it? Space, being a 3-dimensional area, gives one the ability to go over and under things rather than just plow through things. Did the writers forget this? If not, then why not portray the galactic barrier as a 360-degree orb that encompasses the galaxey rather than just a 360-degree wall that surrounds the galaxy?

Watched TGB last night and, aside from the personal stories, which just tend to drag the story-telling to a crawl, I kept pondering one point...the Galactic Barrier is shown as a wall in a defined area, with what looked like a top and bottom. So, why go through the middle of it when you could avoid it entirely by going over it or under it? Space, being a 3-dimensional area, gives one the ability to go over and under things rather than just plow through things. Did the writers forget this? If not, then why not portray the galactic barrier as a 360-degree orb that encompasses the galaxey rather than just a 360-degree wall that surrounds the galaxy?
This has been a Star Trek staple for many different shows, in many situations.

It always makes me laugh a little

Reactions: Foxbat
This has been a Star Trek staple for many different shows, in many situations.

It always makes me laugh a little
Since the second pilot, the first Kirk Episode, from Wiki-

In the episode, after the Enterprise attempts to cross the Great Barrier at the edge of the galaxy, two crew members develop powerful ESPabilities which threaten the safety of the crew.

The ST:TOS episode “By Any Other Name” where the Kelvans from the Andromeda Galaxy take over the Enterprise is the only time the Barrier had been successfully breached by a Star Fleet vessel, until now.

And, the center of the Milky Way galaxy is also protected by an Energy Barrier, shown in Star Trek V.

I believe the answer as to why you can’t just go above or below the Great Barrier is the Roddenberry Effect. It’s the same thing that prevented the USS Enterprise from remaining in orbit when the engines were shut down. In other words, it’s a cheap plot device…

I believe the answer as to why you can’t just go above or below the Great Barrier is the Roddenberry Effect.
A new phrase to me. This is using a cheap plot device? TOS cost notmuch more than $100K/episode IIRC. They blew their budget on City on the Edge of Forever, and had to make some episodes for so little it was embarrassing.
It’s the same thing that prevented the USS Enterprise from remaining in orbit when the engines were shut down.
What? I don't remember an episode where that happened. Do you remember which? What drives me crazy is when Kirk ordered the helmsman to orbit over a particular point over a planet, when that planet was not on the equator. Oops.

It’s not just the barrier. The expanse. Fleet engagements are always head on. Starships always meet that way. Even approaching planets. It’s done at the equator instead of the poles. For whatever reason.

It’s just how sci fi is done in general.

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
“Cheap Plot Device” = Artificial means of creating dramatic tension. If the Great Barrier were something you could avoid by flying above or below it, then it’s hardly a Barrier and there’s no drama.

Regarding shutting down the engines while in orbit, “The Naked Time” was the first time this plot device was used. Because of the ”drunken” behavior of one of Scotty’s crew, the Enterprise was spiraling down into the planet’s atmosphere where the ship would burn up if Scotty and Spock couldn’t restart the Matter-Antimatter reaction. That would imply the Enterprise was in an unstable orbit that required impulse engines to be constantly firing to keep it in orbit, an unrealistic situation that was only used to inject dramatic tension in the episode. In other words, a “Cheap Plot Device”.

I got to interview Mr. Roddenberry for our High School paper in the 1970s after a presentation he gave at Indiana University South Bend (which included a showing of the infamous “Star Trek Blooper Reel!”) I asked why it was the Enterprise could not maintain its orbit without engines, and he basically said it was done to create a dramatic TV show.

It’s not just the barrier. The expanse. Fleet engagements are always head on. Starships always meet that way. Even approaching planets. It’s done at the equator instead of the poles. For whatever reason.

It’s just how sci fi is done in general.
One thing “The Expanse” did right was the use of ballistic asteroids from out of the ecliptic as a sneak attack. The Free Navy used that tactic to damage the blockade ships guarding the Ring.