Star Trek Discovery

There is no Paramount+ without Showtime. It has been that way for a couple of months.
There is Paramount+ Essential , no Showtime.

The current special-

Get Paramount+ Essential for $1.99/month or Paramount+ with SHOWTIME for $3.99/month for 3 months. Limited-time offer ends 12/3/23. New and former subscribers only.

I just have Paramount+. I have Showtime via Dish for $5/mo for 3 months and when it expires, I logon to Dish, go to drop it and it offers it to me for $5/month for three months again and I take that. At whatever time in the future Dish doesn't offer me Showtime for $5/month, I'll just go ahead and drop it...

And not a whole lot of what makes Paramount+ worth having. I stand corrected.
And that is your opinion.

I have 3 services that are my favorites, P+ is one of them.

Where else can you get newer/older movies, P+ exclusives, Showtime, CBS’ new/older shows, Viacom Cable Channels’ shows, 2 Live Feeds of Showtime, 1 Live Feed of CBS in 1080P, then much of the other content in 4K, all for the same price as just Showtime via a provider, $12 a month.

And that is your opinion.
Based largely on exhausting what appealed to me in just a few months.
Where else can you get newer/older movies, P+ exclusives, Showtime, CBS’ new/older shows, Viacom Cable Channels’ shows, 2 Live Feeds of Showtime, 1 Live Feed of CBS in 1080P, then much of the other content in 4K, all for the same price as just Showtime via a provider, $12 a month.
There wasn't any new CBS broadcast content that I hadn't seen OTA (in 1080p). The Viacom stuff isn't something I would chase after. Showtime was not appealing and as for the old stuff, I can get a lot of that through the Roku Channel, Amazon and other sources.

I subscribed primarily for the Star Trek stuff and was kind of enjoying the new Frasier but I wasn't finding a whole lot else that I'd rather watch than YouTube videos. It isn't something I could see subscribing to year-round in any event. In that, a lot of these streaming services are more of a service-hopping exercise than a source for continuous subscriptions and dependable delivery of compelling new content.

The timing for any service is arguably bad due to the strikes so I'm aware that other new content wasn't going to be available going in. That part isn't a condemnation of Paramount+ as much as the whole industry but they certainly didn't bother importing much or bringing some of their better properties (other than a few movies like Top Gun while I subscribed.

Last comment I will make here on this subject in this thread, the conversation belongs in the Cord Cutters Forum-
Based largely on exhausting what appealed to me in just a few months.
And again, that is your opinion, but since Paramount+ gains subscribers every quarter (2.5 Million last quarter) and now has more subscribers (61 Million) then Cable/Satellite ( almost 57 million), there are many that disagree with you.

I look forward to watching Bass Reeves, waiting to binge.

There wasn't any new CBS broadcast content that I hadn't seen OTA (in 1080p).
OTA for CBS is 1080i, also on Paramount+, a lot of them are in 1080P/HDR/DV also.

Including the NFL, which looks great.

Also a few shows in 4K/DV that used to be on CBS, new episodes of Seal Team, Evil and Criminal Minds are a few examples.

The other CBS shows I watch , I use P+ for the better quality, makes no sense to spend so much on Televisions and use lessor services for icky video/sound quality.

For example, I have read Comcast knocks down everything to 720P, then lets the boxes up-convert it to 1080i/P.

That has to look terrible.
The Viacom stuff isn't something I would chase after. Showtime was not appealing and as for the old stuff, I can get a lot of that through the Roku Channel, Amazon and other sources.
I have not had Showtime for years, so much to get caught up on, again I enjoy getting the better quality.

I look forward to watching Bass Reeves, waiting to binge
Do you advocate paying for a TV service continuously if all you're going to do is wait for a season to end before you watch it?
OTA for CBS is 1080i
NextGenTV CBS is 1080p. Perhaps it is upconverted but do you know that the Paramount+ stream isn't upconverted as well?
For example, I have read Comcast knocks down everything to 720P, then lets the boxes up-convert it to 1080i/P.

That has to look terrible.
It doesn't help your credibility that you're reasoning that something must look terrible apparently without actually having auditioned it.

What kills the Xfinity PQ is that it is proc-amped to Xfinity and beyond (similar to DIRECTV's special sauce) and thus overly contrasty with oversaturated colors. See more at "showroom mode".

I said I will not answer any more here, ask these questions in the Cord Cutters Forum where they are more appropriate.

I said I will not answer any more here, ask these questions in the Cord Cutters Forum where they are more appropriate.
I wasn't necessarily expecting an answer, only that you consider these questions in your future arguments as some of them haven't been well conceived.

In that STD and other Star Trek properties are only available via streaming on Paramount+, I'm not convinced that discussions of Paramount+ proper are necessarily verboten.

I wasn't necessarily expecting an answer, only that you consider these questions in your future arguments as some of them haven't been well conceived.
I know all those answers, google is your friend.

But please quit responding in here with these questions that do not belong, this is a Star Trek thread, not how Paramount+ does business thread.

That thread already exists in the CC Forum.

Next time I will just put you on ignore so I am not tempted to respond.

Last edited:
If anyone still cares.
I still care despite being pissed at this being the last season.
I don't have a ton of enthusiasm for it...haven't since they went 900+ years into the future...
Well, now at least the advanced tech in Discovery makes sense. It sure as hell didn't back before TOS.

Well, now at least the advanced tech in Discovery makes sense. It sure as hell didn't back before TOS.
True, although the Starfleet folks in that future keep dissing on how old and outdated the tech is on the Discovery and I think "well, I don't see your ships 'blipping' around the galaxy" using the spore drive tech. One would've thought that in 900+ years, that secret would've leaked out of a computer somewhere before all the dilithium blew up...

Reactions: TheKrell