Star Trek Discovery

Dang. It was another Q story. :( Am I the only one who can't stand that brat with godlike powers?
No. But I looked past that and enjoyed the storyline, however.
My personal favorite was Cause and Effect. :D
That one was good, but I particularly liked the intricacies of the timeline in Time's Arrow. How Data's head and body followed two different time paths, the characterization of Samuel Clemens, Picard and Guinan meeting for the first, no second, no, first time. Even subtle things like Clemens realizing that he had to leave his pocket watch behind at the end to preserve the events that just occurred, etc.

Reactions: Foxbat and TheKrell
That one was good, but I particularly liked the intricacies of the timeline in Time's Arrow. How Data's head and body followed two different time paths, the characterization of Samuel Clemens, Picard and Guinan meeting for the first, no second, no, first time. Even subtle things like Clemens realizing that he had to leave his pocket watch behind at the end to preserve the events that just occurred, etc.

There's something about older shows and movies (pre-2010) -- the acting and the music -- that seems to resonate with me more than the newer shows on television. Time's Arrow is a perfect example of that, or the episode of DS9 where Jake keeps losing his father. I couldn't stop crying during that episode, even though that episode is what... 20+ years old now...

Meanwhile, when I watch a lot of newer shows and movies these days, not just Star Trek mind you, the shows don't give off the same type of atmosphere and feeling. There's something missing... a certain gravitas maybe... or perhaps the actors are trained upon a different type of acting... either way, I don't connect on an emotional level with the characters or the storyline. It's like I couldn't care less whether an important character died or not.

Reactions: dare2be
There's something about older shows and movies (pre-2010) -- the acting and the music -- that seems to resonate with me more than the newer shows on television. Time's Arrow is a perfect example of that, or the episode of DS9 where Jake keeps losing his father. I couldn't stop crying during that episode, even though that episode is what... 20+ years old now...

Meanwhile, when I watch a lot of newer shows and movies these days, not just Star Trek mind you, the shows don't give off the same type of atmosphere and feeling. There's something missing... a certain gravitas maybe... or perhaps the actors are trained upon a different type of acting... either way, I don't connect on an emotional level with the characters or the storyline. It's like I couldn't care less whether an important character died or not.
The TNG episode that really makes me emotional is Lower Decks, even though we only get to know the characters for one episode. Another is I, Borg. "I do not want to forget that I am Hugh" gets me every time.

I think it's more the writing than the actors. Nowadays the writing is more focused on dystopia and "action". It's much more superficial now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jimbo and TheKrell
The TNG episode that really makes me emotional is Lower Decks, even though we only get to know the characters for one episode. Another is I, Borg. "I do not want to forget that I am Hugh" gets me every time.

I think it's more the writing than the actors. Nowadays the writing is more focused on dystopia and "action". It's much more superficial now.
And I still say they should have named him Cy;)

I agree with both paragraphs. ST Enterprise was left hanging with numerous plot lines never resolved. I did not like "In a Mirror, Darkly" at all and didn't see the point to such an offshoot storyline.

But ST Voyager's finale was pretty decent IMHO. I watched it again last night on instigation of dare2be. The only thing that bothers me was a comment from the queen to the effect that the Borg destruction cannot happen with Admiral Janeway altering her own past like that. Yet they were destroyed. Is this a paradox?
To me, Voyager was like they were out in space and constantly trying to get home .... and then the next episode, they were just Home ... I don't recall anything about when they got home, just that they were there. and that was the END ... I didn't care for the way it was done.

The only Q stories I like was when he introduced the Borg to the Enterprise Crew and the Robin Hood episode.
I didn't care for him then either, but it did introduce them to the premise of a lot of Great episodes ... The Borg episodes were the best ....

They actually have a Borg Collections ... all the Borg episodes thru all the different Star Treks ...

Can you imagine what Kirk would have done had he come up against the Borg ?
I don't believe the Borg were that far back.

Can you imagine what Kirk would have done had he come up against the Borg ?

That brings up a good point, and hence why I'm not a fan of prequels. It would've been interesting to see how Kirk would've handled it, especially since Enterprise proved that the Borg existed before the TOS timeline, due to that whole time-traveling incident with First Contact.

Reactions: TheKrell
That brings up a good point, and hence why I'm not a fan of prequels. It would've been interesting to see how Kirk would've handled it, especially since Enterprise proved that the Borg existed before the TOS timeline, due to that whole time-traveling incident with First Contact.
Oh, thats right ... the Borg were in the Enterprise, but not TOS .... which suppose to have been before.

Archer's Enterprise was placed out of order if you ask me, it should have been After TOS (for obvious reasons) ... and probably before the rest.

Convenient that the Borg was Not in the Original series ... they had No clue at that point.

Voyager was like they were out in space and constantly trying to get home .... and then the next episode, they were just Home ... I don't recall anything about when they got home, just that they were there. and that was the END

Yeah, they skipped ahead on the original 26 year timeline and just showed them already home with Janeway an admiral, Tuvok out of his mind, and Seven dead. But that long original timeline never happened since Admiral Janeway went back in time to change it. (She helped Voyager get back home instantly through the Borg transwarp hub.) So, you got to see the new timeline in full, without suffering through 26 years of repetitive episodes. ;)

Reactions: Jimbo and MikeD-C05
Yeah, they skipped ahead on the original 26 year timeline and just showed them already home with Janeway an admiral, Tuvok out of his mind, and Seven dead. But that long original timeline never happened since Admiral Janeway went back in time to change it. (She helped Voyager get back home instantly through the Borg transwarp hub.) So, you got to see the new timeline in full, without suffering through 26 years of repetitive episodes. ;)
Yes and Admiral Janeway brought some kick ass technology with her ..

Yes and Admiral Janeway brought some kick ass technology with her ..

Until the Starfleet temporal agency (or whatever the group is called that watches over the timeline) took all that advanced technology away, after Voyager made it through the hub and returned to Earth. Which was pretty stupid, imo, because you have advanced torpedoes and armor that could've easily been integrated into the rest of the fleet.

Until the Starfleet temporal agency (or whatever the group is called that watches over the timeline) took all that advanced technology away, after Voyager made it through the hub and returned to Earth. Which was pretty stupid, imo, because you have advanced torpedoes and armor that could've easily been integrated into the rest of the fleet.
It seemed like they were on a time limit with the return of Voyager (probably a budget limit actually) ....
Kinda like they missed about 5 episodes that led to the last show ... as if they just skipped those chapters in the book and went to the end and wrapped it up.

It was really disappointing after investing all that time ... its a good thing I watched it on Netflix and now when it was on Live Tv .. (I watched some back then, but not that much.)

Anyone watch the “shorts” fillers? They have been a good way to get a fix until the premier, which is fast approaching.

Reactions: dfergie