Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

DAMN good Star Trek!
Agree with all. This was a superb first episode. And it was episodic rather than having a full-season story arc like that stupid DMA.
Will never even think about watching Discovery again...EVER!
Well, I can't share your ire there. I kind of liked Discovery after I overcame my outrage at the spore drive, among many other anachronisms.

Jess Bush, so ugly. What were they thinking? :rolleyes: If this isn't a "classic beauty" I don't know what one is (and I say that as someone who doesn't go for bottle blondes).

1651862175231.png

The new Chapel lacks the elegance that Majel brought. There's a certain spunkiness that seems out of place as compared to all other Trek nurses.

Reactions: TheKrell
The new Chapel lacks the elegance that Majel brought. There's a certain spunkiness that seems out of place as compared to all other Trek nurses.
The original nurse Chapel character embodied more or less the then current view of women's roles, being reserved, respectful, and deferent to their male doctors. The new Chapel is her own person with an actual personality, whether one cares for it or not. She's potentially a memorable character in this reboot, with her own agency and storylines. I personally didn't even remember there was a nurse Chapel in TOS until I watched this episode of SNW.

In the grand Star Trek scheme, there's only one Nurse Chapel. I can see Ohura maturing into the TOS character but I can't see the new Chapel doing a 180.
I agree with you there; it's a total reboot of her character, but the same could be said of Kirk from the brief glimpse we got of him. The only actor really channeling their predecessor so far is Ethan Peck.

The premier was so loaded with nods and canon that it is probably necessary to watch it more than once.

I appreciated that Wil almost wet himself on the Ready Room. If you're not watching it, you really should.

The original nurse Chapel character embodied more or less the then current view of women's roles, being reserved, respectful, and deferent to their male doctors.
While I agree with you about the nurse Chapel role, that doesn't apply to her previous role as Number One in The Cage. She blew the mountain top off that Talosian elevator trying to get in and free Pike. Nothing reserved or deferential about that.

While I agree with you about the nurse Chapel role, that doesn't apply to her previous role as Number One in The Cage. She blew the mountain top off that Talosian elevator trying to get in and free Pike. Nothing reserved or deferential about that.
Okay I'll shut up about anything related to TOS now since I saw most of those episodes only once in the 1970s before I hit puberty. :p