Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Watching it right now outside on the projector while on the LifeCycle.
IMG_0946.jpeg

This will be one that I’ll watch a second time. :D

The only concern I have is “Strange New Worlds” having too many light-hearted episodes in relation to the serious ones. I know the cast likes to have fun and blow off steam, but when there are only ten episodes, they shouldn’t have more than one or two in a season. Considering episode 9 is supposed to be a musical, this season might end up having four.

I mean, this isn’t “The Orville”…

I agree with the comments about lighthearted episodes. You can only spoof yourself so much before that ceases to be an off-beat funny escape and becomes what the show is about.

The Uhura episode was, IMHO, weak. The basic plot of some life form existing in a resource and trying to communicate with it has been done ten times in the different Star Trek versions.

The crossover episode was just OK. They had to play it for laughs, as Lower Decks is a comedy. Again the time travel = hero worship of past characters meme has been done multiple times, including being all First Contact was about.

Reactions: Foxbat
I agree with the comments about lighthearted episodes. You can only spoof yourself so much before that ceases to be an off-beat funny escape and becomes what the show is about.
On the other hand, when they seek to address real human issues, they are accused of being preachy.

Science fiction isn't easy and when the franchise gets old enough, there's little new to spring on the audience.

Well, I enjoyed it a lot. I didn't think it was too comic or too preachy. The only thing that really bothered me was intermixing the animated segments with the live action segments. I guess it could have been more jarring, like Who Framed Roger Rabbit...

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat
By the way, do not skip the intro.

And keep your eyes out for the koala bear.

Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat
The Nebula beings episode was a tad dull. It's been done, a lot, in this series and in other Trek shows. Uhura's issue isn't that the actress is miscast, but (IMO), that the Producers want the writers to write her feeling that she's not where she should be. It's getting old, move on.

The crossover was actually a lot more enjoyable. The Kroniton Poisoning bit was pretty funny. The intro was fun - I enjoyed it overall. Jonathan Frakes knows how to direct Trek, that's for sure...

Honestly — I have nothing bad to say about this episode. It was fun and silly and geeky and honestly if I were somehow catapulted into Star Trek I would act just like Boimler.

I’m sure there will be those who want to explore the canon implications and want to talk about how there is YET ANOTHER alternate timeline caused by Boimler telling people about their futures. I would say, calm down and enjoy it.

I really loved the cross over episode. Especially when the time traveler Boimler said all Pike's good qualities and added the "impressive hair" line. I enjoyed this entire show and I might have to watch the other series to see what I have been missing. I don't usually like animation as much, but this was good. :biggrin