Stargate Universe

I don't watch Syfy for much else than a couple of tv series now. The rest of their B movie Monster of the week films I could care less about. Syfy used to be what I wanted satellite for and now there is just about no reason to watch it anymore.

I don't watch Syfy for much else than a couple of tv series now. The rest of their B movie Monster of the week films I could care less about. Syfy used to be what I wanted satellite for and now there is just about no reason to watch it anymore.

Do you remember when we were so anxious for Sci-Fi to come in a HD Version? Waited more than a year, and then, largely let down.... :(

rockymtnhigh said:
Do you remember when we were so anxious for Sci-Fi to come in a HD Version? Waited more than a year, and then, largely let down.... :(

The Sci-Fi thread was epic. I've given up on SGU and now rarely watch the channel.

Yeah, it really bugs me too. Sci-Fi Friday was something I genuinely looked forward to every week. What a great line-up they had! Now, aside from time-shifting a few shows to Friday (one that just got yanked), I rarely watch the channel. When they run some mini-blocks, I tune in for some and enjoy the Twilight Zone marathon on certain holidays. Otherwise, they've lost so much of what they were in the early years of the channel...

IF you notice many of the niche channels or theme channels have lost what made them a niche or special interest channel in the first place. Look at MTV . Used to be the reason many kids wanted cable back in the 80's. I want my MTV! Now they barely show videos at all. Syfy has lost it's reason for being a channel. Who wants to see wrestling on Syfy? I loved this channel back when it had Dark Shadows on it and reruns of Lost In Space. Bionic Woman, 6 Million dollar Man, etc . All the sci-fi related themes have been taken down and they show very little now and even changed their name to reflect it.

IF you notice many of the niche channels or theme channels have lost what made them a niche or special interest channel in the first place. Look at MTV . Used to be the reason many kids wanted cable back in the 80's. I want my MTV! Now they barely show videos at all. Syfy has lost it's reason for being a channel. Who wants to see wrestling on Syfy? I loved this channel back when it had Dark Shadows on it and reruns of Lost In Space. Bionic Woman, 6 Million dollar Man, etc . All the sci-fi related themes have been taken down and they show very little now and even changed their name to reflect it.

Exactly, and as you say, same thing is happening to many channels that used to be theme but not anymore (sadly)

The last show was a :yawn: 'er. I've gotten hooked on wanted to see where it's going. But few more like this last one I'll quit watching. I finally gave up on Caprica. The last show put me to sleep. It's going nowhere. What a shame.

Wow, another unoriginal episode.... seems like the writers have just run out of good ideas. Sad really.

How about they come across some long lost go'auld? Maybe one of the clones from Ba'al got sent across the universe. That would at least be fun.

ANYTHING except this drivel...

Wow, another unoriginal episode.... seems like the writers have just run out of good ideas. Sad really.

How about they come across some long lost go'auld? Maybe one of the clones from Ba'al got sent across the universe. That would at least be fun.

Indeed ! or some Asgard lost tribe, if they found some in the Pegasus Galaxy, why not somewhere else far far away !!

Yep, that was a clone (or nearly so) of Teal'c being a firefighter episode. If they're going to retread plot ideas, they really ought to remember that a lot of their viewer-base watched SG1 also...

Previews for next week look better...blue aliens are coming back...

Thew problem is the entire tone of the series. It's dark, slow, plodding and just plain uninteresting. The themes are dark. Then the stories are all retreads. There is no fun involved in the stories like the parent series had.

Yep, that was a clone (or nearly so) of Teal'c being a firefighter episode. If they're going to retread plot ideas, they really ought to remember that a lot of their viewer-base watched SG1 also...

I knew I had seen the plot concept before, but wasn't certain if it was SG1 or Star Trek. (They all blur sometimes). But now that you mention the Firefighter episode, it is so blatant a copy, it isn't funny. Pathetic.

Indeed ! this is that epi
"Stargate SG-1" The Changeling (TV episode 2003) - IMDb

I´m not happy about the road that SGU is taking...not really after being a big fan of SG1 and SGA.

I knew I had seen the plot concept before, but wasn't certain if it was SG1 or Star Trek. (They all blur sometimes). But now that you mention the Firefighter episode, it is so blatant a copy, it isn't funny. Pathetic.

Yep, the only major difference was that the SG1 episode was a vehicle for a guest appearance (again) for Michael Shanks. There were minor differences (main plot setting, characters, threat), but I absolutely had to laugh at the blatant tie-together between Teal'c and the firefighter plot element and the flame-throwers they were using to keep the creatures (plants?) at bay. It wasn't an amused laugh as much as was an ironic laugh at the fire-user/firefighter re-use of thematic elements. In this case, Chloe was giving blood (rather than Teal'c giving a kidney) to save someone (Matt vs. Braetac).

It's a really blatant lifting of an SG1 story and laying it over the SGU cast, and I agree, it isn't funny. I wonder if any of the SGU cast ever watched SG1 and thought (or said) "hey, isn't this a whole lot like that Teal'c episode?" I do have to admit though, that the movie-inside-an-episode part was good, but then I like it when movies do "movie-within-a-movie" too. It's a good way to tell a part of the story without using the "flashback" method (in this case, how Matt got infected in the first case), which gets really old. So, that was a good usage of that particular story-telling tool.

Other than that, it was a retread and it shouldn't have been done...

Indeed ! this is that epi
"Stargate SG-1" The Changeling (TV episode 2003) - IMDb

I´m not happy about the road that SGU is taking...not really after being a big fan of SG1 and SGA.

Yep, that's the episode! Thanks. Couldn't remember the title (which I agree with the IMDb review, means little with respect to the episode).

Notice, Brad Wright has writing credit for both episodes (SG1 and SGU)? Gee, really. I never would've guessed that one.

Well, SGU is the only Stargate we've got now that's doing "new" (I use that term loosely) episodes, and I'd rather see something new that's SG than nothing. If they yank it off the air too, that leaves me with only two shows to watch on Syfy now that Caprica has been yanked... Granted, it's by far not the best SG, but I'll take it over no SG...

Speaking of Teal'c, Christopher Judge had a short role in NCIS: Los Angeles this week. Alas, he ended up with a bullet to the chest from LL Cool J. Indeed. :)

Speaking of Teal'c, Christopher Judge had a short role in NCIS: Los Angeles this week. Alas, he ended up with a bullet to the chest from LL Cool J. Indeed. :)

Wasn't he in the preview for the new Syfy reality show too? Something about sci-fi props being auctioned or something like that? I'm not interested. Wrastlin', and now a reality show on Syfy? What next, game shows? I know, a sci-fi trivia game show! :rolleyes:

Indeed. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)