Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It's been one week since we have moved over to our new server so I feel it's time to update everyone to the staus of everything.

But before I do that, I would like to congratulate a SatelliteGuys staff member on his new promotion. Please help me congratulate Ilya who has been promoted to an adminstrator here at SatelliteGuys.US!

Ilya is a hard working individual who aims for nothing less then perfection. His hard work can be seen in our VOOM forum where Ilya and Sean Mota have worked together to build up the Internet's largest and best VOOM forum!

Ilya joins Sean Mota, Ler, Claude Greiner and myself on the admin staff.

We are also working hard behind the scenes on setting up a SatelliteGuys Trouble Ticket system so that our admins can help users with SatelliteGuys issues on a more speedy manner.

Now back to our new server, I am happy to report that our move went well with only a few minor problems mostly dealing with DNS issues as some members ISP's were not updating their DNS records correctly.

As you may have noticed on our new server the speed is nice and steady now, it does not matter if there are 400 on-line or 1400 on-line. I am very happy with this performance. I am proud to report that our server load has gone from and average of 2.25 down to 1.09.

While our server has been stable and running well, we are planning on upgrading our Kernel on our servers operating system over the weekend. We are doing this on the advice of vBulletin who tell us this update will make us faster and even more stable.

As we continue to grow and add new features we know we will need to add a second server to our setup in the future. Adding and upgrading to server like this is costly, we need your support.

Since we have moved to our new server I am saddened that the number of users visiting links and shopping from the Google ads has gone down sharply. We rely on this income from all of our sponsors to help pay the bills. So PLEASE support those who support us, our future depends on it. I do not want to clutter up the board more by adding additional Google ads to raise revenue. Thanks in advance for you support.

We are working hard on a few other things behind the scenes! As always if you have any ideas or suggestions of how we can make SatelliteGuys an even better place let us know. :)

Thanks all have a great SuperBowl Weekend!

Scott...First, the speed is tremendous. This is about the fastest website on the net. Thanks for all your work to get it there. Regarding the Ads, can you get some that are geared to Audio/Video or PC related. I regularly click on random Circuit City ads and have actually purchased Dell stuff from ads on the net. The only google ads right now are either for Dish or Direct. Most users probably won't be compelled to click as they already have service. If they see the ad I saw for Dell to get a complete PC for $399, maybe they'd not only click, but buy!

Anyway...like I say, thanks for the great work.

I have no control of what the Google ads display, a google bot comes in and scans out site about once a week and matches ads up with keywords for each topic.

Also under Google Policy I can not ask people to click on Google stuff. So if you click on them its up to you. I don't want people to think I am asking them to click on them. I am just reminding folks to support those who support us. :)

Also for those of you who use the Usenet newsgroups, how has the spam been lately? :)

i know a lot of people don't like the underlined ads and so forth. i know pub members don't see them, but if you want to turn that stuff on for me, i would be more likely to click on it. the reason i don't click on stuff more is because i have my bookmark set to take me right to the forums. i hardly ever see the homepage and that is where the google adds are.

Scott, thanks for the promotion! I assume my salary will double now? :D

Thank you korsjs! :) I aim to please.

I shall be adding more games in the near future. If anyone has any requests on a game they have seen, or would like added please let me know.

BTW LER is doing work to the server now, if the server burps blame LER. :D

(Thanks Ler for your help!)

Ahh, see my post in the other thread about this.

I was wondering why I kept getting connection refused errors just now. :D

LER does awesome work on our server. I can't think of anyone else more knowledgable than Scott and LER when it comes to SQL and Apache.

LER just upgraded us to a modern Linux Kernel. We are now up to Red Hat Linux Kernal 2.6.10 SMP.

Thanks Ler! :D

If I had a spare hard drive I would run Linux 64-bit as well as my current Windows XP 64-bit.

I've heard it runs very nicely compared to Windows.

Please let me know if anything broke with the kernel change.

Should be faster :)

(like this place didn't scream before :) )

LER

Pretty fast now! I need a computer like this for World of Warcraft. :D

Hopefully soon I will be getting another gig of memory to bump mine to 1.5GB.

Well one of the settings we haven't had to touch our Apache settings now needs tweeking as we have peeked out the maxaimum amount of Apache Servers.

LER has just worked his magic and fixed everything, so I appologize if you saw any slowness while this was going on. (It was less then 10 minutes) :)

Thanks Ler!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Well one of the settings we haven't had to touch our Apache settings now needs tweeking as we have peeked out the maxaimum amount of Apache Servers.

LER has just worked his magic and fixed everything, so I appologize if you saw any slowness while this was going on. (It was less then 10 minutes) :)

Thanks Ler!
Actually it's a Kernel IP CONNECTION TRACKING table that filled up.

a sysctl fixed it.

HOWEVER, I found a couple of Kernel things I wanted to change, so I'm recompiling a kernel, and will want to reboot at sometime.

LER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)