Strange Occurance

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

Hoping you can help me solve this issue.
Last night I sat down to watch some C band. The channels that were nice and strong on Anik F1 earlier in the day were non existent last night. It was the CTV mux (4020-30000). All other channels on that satellite came in nice and strong.
Then I moved to Galaxy 16 (99W) and did a rescan. The ABC mux which I was unable to get in the past, came in strong. All other channels on that satellite were fine. I did nothing to the dish during the day to warrant the changes on both satellites...so what gives ??
Was the change in temp affecting my mesh dish or LNBF ?
The temp ranged from a high of 63 during the day to 49 last night when I was viewing and the dish was in direct sunlight.
Thanks in advance.

John

Both of the mux`s you mentioned are S2 8PSK.1 being 5/6 and the G16 being 9/10..My bet is since you are using a 7 1/2 footer you are on the threshold of those S2 signals..You are doing pretty good to lock the signals..What are your db readings?

For the G16 mux you would need at least a 12.5 db reading and the F1 mux a bit more forgiving one would need about 11.5 db`s to keep a solid lock.

Reactions: JFOK
Hockeynut,

Both the F1 mux (when it was working) and ABC channels on 99W (last night) came in with a signal quality on my microHD, at 76-79.
Where would I find the db readings ?

John

Would need a sat meter or a spectrum analyzer.Using a sat receiver is not a reliable way to judge a signal.Although some receivers do give a db reading like my Vu and it is pretty much spot on with the meter and the computer.I have not seen a receiver that is not Enigma based have this option.

Hi John,

I'm at 76% Q for the CTV mux here on my 9', pretty much the same as you. I have that MUX as 4140 here and you listed it as 4020, typo?

Ah, just checked the ABC MUX and that one is 4020, so just reversed the #'s. I have 83% Q on the ABC one, both of these with my MicroHd.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Its must be getting quite colorful in your neck of the woods. Fall was always beautiful there.
I just checked and I'm still getting the ABC mux this morning (4120H) on 99W, with a quality reading of 77.
The CTV mux on Anik F1 (4140H...you were correct) is also now coming in at 77.
Did the ABC mux techs boost their power ? Its even stronger than the Lesea mux which is usually my strongest.

John

Oh yeah, the leaves are all changing color here, very beautiful!

I don't know if they boosted the ABC's or not, but you're right, they're higher than the Lesea channels here too. On the Lesea MUX I have 76% Q.

Andy

Hockeynut,

I just think its kind of odd that if I am receiving the ABC mux "on the threshold" as you state, why would they be coming in so strong, then completely disappear ? If I was getting these signals on a borderline basis, you would think the strength would be lower, say in the 50's.

John

Brian,

The ABC mux I was referring to was the 4120 one.
The signal quality is now flickering between 0 and 10%.
Last night and this morning it was 77.

John

Brian,

The ABC mux I was referring to was the 4120 one.
The signal quality is now flickering between 0 and 10%.
Last night and this morning it was 77.

John
There is no doubt in my mind what we are dealing with is dish size.Rest assured a 10 footer will keep a lock on this 8psk 9/10 signal...Ur doing good John with the 7 1/2 footer...Here is a screenshot from a 10 foot KTI with an ortho feed using Cal Amp PLL`s....Nothing ur doing wrong..Just dish size!.

Attachments

• screenshot jfok.jpg
    screenshot jfok.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: JFOK and Titanium
Hockeynut,

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
Aside from dish size...why is this feed sometimes working for me and other times not ?
Is it the varying strength of the signal or just plain luck ?

John

Hockeynut,

Thanks for your words of encouragement.
Aside from dish size...why is this feed sometimes working for me and other times not ?
Is it the varying strength of the signal or just plain luck ?

John
You are right on the threshold for those particular signals.To confirm just click east or west with the ASC1 and see if the signal completely drops.

Reactions: JFOK
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)