Stuff Available Soon

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mauiguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Haiku, Maui
A developer has decided to build houses on the land directly behind me. he does not like my big dish so yesterday he planted fifteen foot high bamboo directly behind my dish. My option are to either move the dish to another point along the back in which case he can plant more stuff, or to give up the hobby completely. I suspect that I will opt for the latter because i just do not feel like digging another hole for the pole, burying conduit and purchasing two hundred or more feet of ribbon cable and RG-11. In addition, I am just getting lazy.

Should i make the decision to quit there will be stuff like Satlook Digital Nit, Paraclypse dish parts, Paraclypse H to H mount, DSR922 and more available.

Here is the killer. Shipping to and from Hawaii is outrageous. I already know what i can get for scrapping the 14 foot and twelve foot paraclypses, and the H to H mount.

To be honest, I do not think anyone would be interested in the stuff due to cost of shipping. Further, I do not plan on running around to make the effort to ship stuff for free.

I will not be making any moves too soon, but wanted to let folks know that I have "Stuff". I could post a list here, but do not wish to break any rules.

You can probably get an idea of what is going to be available by what i mentioned above.

MODERATORS: Feel free to edit if i have violated any rules.

If you start listing the stuff with prices then you would break a rule not being a pub member, however if you give it away for free (not counting shipping of course), I see no problem.

It is great that you are offering the items to other SatelliteGuys! Thank you!

I agree that it doesn't make sense to ship to the mainland, but there are probably many interested parties in the islands. Don't scrap it yet!!!

Have you posted to Craigslist?

Yes don't scrap it :)....many would love to have it. I would love to have the H to H motor, but I bet shipping on that puppy would put me in the poor house.

Dude... you gotta think, "what would country folks do?" Invite some friends over, have a few drinks, give'em a couple of axes and go on a covert tree cutting mission.

Seriously, am looking at this objectively. If your dish *was* visible as day when the tree was being planted, and one can reasonably assume planting such a high tree in the dish's LOS would prevent signal reception... you have more than a strong case to get the bloody thing replanted elsewhere, or have your re-location costs covered.

Cheers, K

PS- take it from me, nothing is worst then living next to a pissed off neighbour

Getting too old to make a fight of it. I am just tired of neighbors telling you what you can do with your property. Now for me to try to get relocation costs I would have to go to small claims court. It is like you fight the government all day and now have to deal with neighbors.

DSCN0045.JPG

Yes don't scrap it :)....many would love to have it. I would love to have the H to H motor, but I bet shipping on that puppy would put me in the poor house.

Yeah that H to H is one heavy machine. Stogie built a dish with that same type mount a couple of years ago.

The dish that goes with it is a Paraclypse 12 foot dish and was one of the last made by them. It has different ribs with slots for the mesh. A finer opening in the mesh and the mesh panels are pre-curved for ease of installation. it is just a darned shame i am not on the mainland so decent folks could get that stuff.

You got a zoning board?Did he get a variance to erect that FENCE?Were the abutters informed that this over height FENCE was being installed?Did he install this FENCE completely around his property or is he just infringing on yours?Call a lawyer,it shouldn't cost anything to ask a couple of questions.

You got a zoning board?Did he get a variance to erect that FENCE?Were the abutters informed that this over height FENCE was being installed?Did he install this FENCE completely around his property or is he just infringing on yours?Call a lawyer,it shouldn't cost anything to ask a couple of questions.

good point

I like your thinking.

I've never understood why satellite dishes are "ugly" to some people. They're no worse than a pool not kept-up, a broken antenna on a roof, a tower knocked over that is not fixed, a car up on blocks, or any of a LONGER list of things common to many a neighborhood. I worked in a county where a person got angry about zoning, and they painted their whole structure purple! I also could never understand why we sold so many black "perf" Birdviews (1980's) supposedly because of wives not wanting "that white thing" in their yard. It's not like you sit and stare at it 24/7........but, maybe some people do.

Amazing how low tolerance is for relatively common items used in our modern day.

Bamboo is VERY invasive. My neighbor planted a row of it on her back property line (South) and her Gardner warned her that once he planted it, it was going to be there forever. Looked similar to what your developer planted at first. Now three years later, it's an impenetrable barrier ten or twelve feet high...

have some fun... Roundup and lawyers are excellent options. Or let the developer pay for a solution for you. A lawyer can write him a letter, which does wonders for finding quick solutions.

I don't get that either... When I first brought home my 10' C-band dish I had left it sitting on the lawn behind the house for two weeks or so until I could set up the base and mount. I was amazed how may people asked what that big white thing was. I can build a garage, move graineries around, burn old buildings in large bonfires, but no one ever comments.
I decided to paint it green using some old camo paint I got from a friend who works in the supply area of the local armory. No one seems to notice it now (or they just became accustomed to it?). Maybe it is just something that doesn't fit in with "normal" society so people notice it. Cars up on blocks and weirdly designed/painted buildings are acceptable? Might be an interesting sociological topic for someone's [FONT=&quot]thesis project[/FONT].

Lving in Hawaii I am fully aware of how invasive that bamboo is. I do have plans for round up on the stuff that works into my property. In Hawaii it is not uncommon for folks to install "natural fences like the one installed in back of me. There are probably a couple of points that I "Could" make with a lawyer, but I feel that if I subscribe to the theory that I have the power to dictate to a land owner what he or she can do with their property than I am , in fact, subscribing to the theory that he can tell me what I can do with mine. We are not at that point on Maui yet.

I do have the option of moving the dish. I may do that, but doubt it. I can live without it. My FTA viewing was for daily prime time at 3:pM as opposed to 7:00 PM and of course football. A dvr on Directv, and Sunday ticket can take care of all of that.

I was mainly irritated that the "fence" was only planted on a portion of the common border between our land and was without a doubt intended to block his view of my back yard and satellite dish. The other part over which he will see the ocean is still open. I am considering planting Areca palm trees along the rest of our common border. They take a little longer to grow, but get just as thick and tall. He will then lose his ocean view. Two can play the game ya know.

As far as this forum was involved I was only giving a heads up to let folks know that in the near future there may be significant parts available.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

@HokieEngineer anybody know him? (dvbtech 8psk usb developer)

About The List and AMC18

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts