Sunday Ticket Preview Again This Week?? confirmed NO

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Every few years the Networks bid for the right to show NFL games they pay a ton of money for the right. Without the Networks money the NFL would go broke.

Again, the networks would get no fewer games to air than they've got right now if the Ticket was made available to all service providers.

Again, the networks would get no fewer games to air than they've got right now if the Ticket was made available to all service providers.

But they would get a whole lot less ad revenue, which keeps them in business. I have read an article about the fact that the NFL does not want all providers to have the Sunday Ticket. It will always be an exclusive to whoever bids the most. I will try and find it. It explains the reasoning a whole lot better than I apparently am.

But they would get a whole lot less ad revenue, which keeps them in business. I have read an article about the fact that the NFL does not want all providers to have the Sunday Ticket. It will always be an exclusive to whoever bids the most. I will try and find it. It explains the reasoning a whole lot better than I apparently am.

How would they get less ad revenue if they're showing the same number of games?

How would they get less ad revenue if they're showing the same number of games?

People watching games on Sunday Ticket instead of watching the games that are being shown on local channels. For example Lions fans who might never watch their local Fox channel on Sundays. That local station would lose ad revenue based on ratings.

That's not a knock on the Lions or their fans, I had to use a team name.

People watching games on Sunday Ticket instead of watching the games that are being shown on local channels. For example Lions fans who might never watch their local Fox channel on Sundays. That local station would lose ad revenue based on ratings.

That's not a knock on the Lions or their fans, I had to use a team name.

I don't think you undertand. It doesn't matter how many service providers are allowed to offer the Ticket, the local networks would still be able to air the same number of games they air now, so they wouldn't be losing any ad revenue. For example, when a local network in airs a Browns or a Bengals game in my area, that game is not aired on any of the Ticket channels. Even if all of the service providers were allowed to offer the Ticket, those games would still not be aired on any of the Ticket channels in my area. They would be shown on the local networks.

I don't think you undertand. It doesn't matter how many service providers are allowed to offer the Ticket, the local networks would still be able to air the same number of games they air now, so they wouldn't be losing any ad revenue. For example, when a local network in airs a Browns or a Bengals game in my area, that game is not aired on any of the Ticket channels. Even if all of the service providers were allowed to offer the Ticket, those games would still not be aired on any of the Ticket channels in my area. They would be shown on the local networks.

Dude, but fewer people would be watching that local game. Ad revenue is not based on what a station airs but how many people view that game. If Sunday Ticket was offered by everyone, less people would be watching the game that is on the local station. meaning the station would have to charge LESS for a ad spot that they could if more people were watching that game. That would mean that station would be making less money that they could if Sunday Ticket was not available. This would hurt the NFL in the end. If there was better game on another ST channel, people would watch that over the local stations game.

Dude, but fewer people would be watching that local game. Ad revenue is not based on what a station airs but how many people view that game. If Sunday Ticket was offered by everyone, less people would be watching the game that is on the local station. meaning the station would have to charge LESS for a ad spot that they could if more people were watching that game. That would mean that station would be making less money that they could if Sunday Ticket was not available. This would hurt the NFL in the end. If there was better game on another ST channel, people would watch that over the local stations game.

You still don't get it. Let me see if I can explain a different way. Let's assume DTV, The Dish Netwrok, and Comcast all have the NFL Ticket. If the local networks are airing the Browns game on one local channel, and the Bengals game on another local channel, those games will not be aired on any of the Ticket channels on DTV, The Dish network, or Comcast. In other words, they will be aired by the local networks just as they are now. How do you figure fewer people will be watching these games on the local networks?

You still don't get it. Let me see if I can explain a different way. Let's assume DTV, The Dish Netwrok, and Comcast all have the NFL Ticket. If the local networks are airing the Browns game on one local channel, and the Bengals game on another local channel, those games will not be aired on any of the Ticket channels on DTV, The Dish network, or Comcast. In other words, they will be aired by the local networks just as they are now. How do you figure fewer people will be watching these games on the local networks?

Oh forget it! You have your opinion and it is obvious you aren't changing it so I won't waste anymore time trying. There must be a good reason why the NFL hasn't done it, because the NFL is very well run. If they could do it and make more money, they would so figure that out yourself.

The reason why is simple. It is easier to control 1 provider and get everything you want then it is to control 6 providers and get everything you want.

Because they have a choice and can watch any game they choose, not just the Bengals or Browns. Without the Ticket they have no choice.

Because they have the choice to watch any game they choose, not just the Bengals or the Browns. Without the Ticket they have no choice.

I understand what Chris is saying ....
Suppose you live in Detroit and obviously the Lions are on the local in Detroit (ironically they are not this week).
But you want to watch a Different game on at the same time as the Lions are on via the ST, at that point, the local network is NOT getting your viewership and advertising is not going to the local channel while your watching the game in NE we'll say.

I understand what Chris is saying ....
Suppose you live in Detroit and obviously the Lions are on the local in Detroit (ironically they are not this week).
But you want to watch a Different game on at the same time as the Lions are on via the ST, at that point, the local network is NOT getting your viewership and advertising is not going to the local channel while your watching the game in NE we'll say.

Thanks Jimbo. I was beginning to question my own reasoning for a sec.:)

Easier way to understand it is that more people will have the choice not to watch the team in there local market. In your case many people would quit watching the lowly Browns and so-so Bengals. Instead they can move to watch the Pat-Falcons tomorrow. If you allow a lot of providers to access Sunday Ticket it will impact that ad revenue. Also if you consider the HD Bandwith many companies will not be able to offer it.

Also Chrisk114 your reasoning is dead on.

The reason why is simple. It is easier to control 1 provider and get everything you want then it is to control 6 providers and get everything you want.

That's bull! All providers are required by FCC laws and regulations to control their service. Plain and simple the NFL is losing money by continuing to allow DTV to have the exclusive rights to the ST, and customers who subscribe to it are being raped by the high subscription price because of DTV's monopoly. If all providers were allowed to offer the ST, subscription rates could be offered for as low as $100-$150 a year, and the NFL would double its profits.

Grampi - we can't have a weeks-old thread about a ST preview that didn't happen shoot to the top of the board constantly.

Feel free to start a new one - your opinion is certainly strong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)