Super dish question?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Richo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I had a person up the street get cable and he threw a D/network super dish away. Well, like any right thinking person would do, I brought it home. My question is, if I put a linear lnb on it, what are the chances I could use it? I live in NE Ohio. I have two dishes now , one motorized and one fixed on 123W. But if there is any hope, I wouldn't mind another fixed dish ( how could I). So, do you think I should sink another pole and mount it or just put it back on the curb?

The SD has a linear LNB on it so that would work just fine. Its stacked so it takes some conversion to make the H side work but it probably will work for stronger FTA signals :)

Iceberg, am I understanding you right, one of the lnb's on this dish is a linear? I was thinking I would have to take those off and retro fit it with a lnb. Hummm, maybe I shall make a temp. mount and play around with it. THANKS A LOT!!!!

superdish -true fta use.

the superdish can indeed be used for true fta. i have installed several of them for use on g10r. remove the original lnb and discard it. obtain a linear lnb shaped like a d#rect tv lnb -drill holes to mount new lnb on the end of the superdish arm. set the skew and aim at g10r. that satellite comes in here (sw va.) in the 60 -70s quality. depending on your location you may or may not have the same results.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try it on G10 and if I get good results then I can move my other fixed dish. I guess I will try the lnb that is on it , hope it is good. If it doesn't seem to work I have a few others laying around.

Thanks Ice and bobnva

yeah the superdish linear LNBFs are great, I have even used one attached to the feedhorn on a primestar.

I guess some people don't want to deal with a stacked LNB, but the FSS stacked LNB that comes with the Superdish works very well without any modification, as others have pointed out above. In fact, I installed an FSS stacked LNB from a Superdish on my 1 meter Channel Master which is fixed on G-18.

well. looks like i got out voted on my superdish modification. no problem-i just feel that experimentation is a key factor in this hobby. i had the proper substitute lnbs just lying around gathering dust and i felt that trying something new with them would not take much effort. i just didnt want any possible problems with stacked lnbs. and the result is a nice clean installation without the bulk and look of the original lnb assembly. i made several modified superdishes for my friends and they are well pleased with the performance and appearance of them. it also makes it easier to attach another linear lnb beside it for ia7 (white springs tv). i really enjoy this hobby and satelliteguys.us. regards .bob

Tell ya what, Bob .. .
If you have some of the removed LNBs from your super dish 105's especially , I would like the feed horns (if not the whole LNB with feedhorn).
PM me if you have any.
The 119/121 superdish hardware is diffferent.

Feel free to modify your dishes any way you like. - :up
Last DBS dish I played witih, I put an Invacom SNH-031 onto. - :eureka

As for your user name, it took me a while to decode it to: "Bob In Virginia"
My knee-jerk reaction as a former visitor to Vietnam, was: "Bob of the NVA" . . .
. . . where NVA = North Vietnamese Army
Not a memory I was happy to have. :eek:

Tell ya what, Bob .. .
If you have some of the removed LNBs from your super dish 105's especially , I would like the feed horns (if not the whole LNB with feedhorn).
PM me if you have any.
And hey, I need the opposite part - the stacked lnb! ... maybe these mods would work out for everyone if you're willing to share parts ;)

Yea, I'm all for sharing the goodies. - :up

But, I've asked several times in threads like this, and PM'd a few others who were discarding or taking apart the 105's, and have gotten no positive reply.
As for you, Lumpkin, the FSS LNB off the 121 Superdish would be just fine if that's what Bob is converting.

And while we are at it, send Tron a few of the FSS LNBs, too.
Or I will if I wind up with too many.
He seems to like 'em. - :up

Shipping little light things like these via US Post Office Priority Mail is cheap, fast, 'n easy.
They give you a free box. Under two pounds cost about $5.
Delivery is 3 days pretty much anywhere in the USA.
Doesn't get much easier.

I'm curious as to the performance of the superdish - aren't they only 20" in height? I was worried that maybe my dtv international dishes that are 24" tall by 36" wide would not perform well, but if these are performing well, I should be set.

I am also curious as to "why" a 20" tall dish would work for linear (not doubting, just wondering the physics of it). I thought I'd read that height was a factor in signal reception due to the way the dish is viewed from the satellite - thus the reason that 36" offset dishes are normally several inches taller than wider. I also thought that the width was more for signal rejection? Thus raises the question, do we normally require larger ku dishes because of adjacent signals? Could we get performance on smaller dishes when we are looking at sat locations that don't have many conflicting adjacent signals, or am I just speculating about something that has little bearing on anything (and should thusly shut up and go install some more ku dishes!)?

I have a Superdish that was used for 105 that I use for AMC4. It gets everything good enough to watch but KUIL is the weakest. I took off the original LNB and replaced it with another linear LNB.

lumpkin

The main reason we need a 30" dish is because KU Band is lowered power satellites than DBS is. The larger the dish, the more adjacent satellite rejection there is also.

lnb assembly

anole: here are the lnb assemblies i have. is this what you need?

Attachments

• lnb assembly.jpg
    lnb assembly.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 138
Yes, thank you. - :cool:
PM sent.
I appreciate the help, and I'll pay it forward (help others). - :up

Attachments

• 105 lnb assembly markup.JPG
    105 lnb assembly markup.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 118
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)