Super Dish With Digiwave LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Apprentice

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 28, 2008
Wichita Kansas
The Digiwave mounts right up on the super dish. I measured it all out and the Digiwave mounts and looks right down the same spot as the FSS LNB that was front and center.

I will mount up the dish soon and see how it works. Might make a decent fixed dish setup :D

What is the spacing on the original for the FSS and DSS LNB's ? I am guess it would have to be 4 degrees Since original DN setups for this area are 105, 110, and 119. I wonder if i can modify this bracket to add more Digiwave LNB's to the super dish?

Chuck

Attachments

• IMG00060.jpg
    IMG00060.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG00059.jpg
    IMG00059.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 228
Chuck
I just finished motorizing a superdish and am amazed at how well it works, BUT, in my application at least, I found that the actual "sweet spot" is not straight ahead as I imagined. I had marked the spot by sighting straight down the arm and it looked like that should be fine, but it produced disappointing SQ. I hooked up a meter and got max SQ by mounting the LNB using the right existing hole, but pointing the LNB left. Why? I don't know, maybe the arm isn't square to the dish, maybe it was designed that way? All I know is that is how it worked out in my application.
Sky

Attachments

• lnb alignment.JPG
    lnb alignment.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 239
What is the spacing on the original for the FSS and DSS LNB's ? I am guess it would have to be 4 degrees Since original DN setups for this area are 105, 110, and 119. I wonder if i can modify this bracket to add more Digiwave LNB's to the super dish?

The SD LNB"s were severely modified to work properly. The 105/110/119 ones were the best as 2 LNB's were 5 degrees apart. The 121/119/110 were set up differently with the 119 LNB literally looking like a crayon tip (to get 2 degrees away)

You should be able to get 2 sats 4 degrees apart but with the SD being on the small side to begin with the results may not be the best

Wow I would not have guessed that at all. Since the FSS seems to be centered. I will try it the way I have it. Can always change it to your setup if it does not work. I have two DN super dish one already setup. Thought I would change the LNB on that one and point it to 97W. Good to know how you did it in case I have to change it :)

Thought about putting a motor on one of the super dishes but not sure. Maybe the second one that is almost setup I could try that with.

Thanks

The SD LNB"s were severely modified to work properly. The 105/110/119 ones were the best as 2 LNB's were 5 degrees apart. The 121/119/110 were set up differently with the 119 LNB literally looking like a crayon tip (to get 2 degrees away)

You should be able to get 2 sats 4 degrees apart but with the SD being on the small side to begin with the results may not be the best

I will probably stick with single dish setups on the DN dishes. But since I have them might as well use them if I can. They are a dime a dozen around here. People are always throwing them away.

Well i want to feed two STB units and did not think I wanted to try to figure out the possible bandstacked issues. I may go back to it if this causes me issues.

On second thought maybe i should just repoint the present SD at 97W and see how the 105 LNB works before changing it?

Bandstacked allows you to run multiple receivers off one coax since all the frequencies are vertical polarity

This is one of the few times a high frequency splitter works :)

cool I will just repoint the current dish to 97W and see what happens. Rain coming in today so will have to wait till tomorrow.

OK so I did not just repoint the current DN SD. It was a really nice day here and I felt like messing around outside. So I just took off the SD with the FSS LNB on it and replaced it with the one that I put the Digiwave LNB on. I was nicely surprised at how well it seems to be doing. I just pointed it at 97W my true south sat. I am getting quality readings on the AzBox of mid 60's to high 60's. Not too bad for 15 dollars on the LNB and some time :)

Oh and I did leave it pointing dead on like the FSS LNB was originally. I guess I might get a better quality by offsetting it like you did Skyscanner. But since it seems to be just fine I think I will leave it and maybe test the offsetting the LNB on one of the other super dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)