Suprised to see Dish now costs just as much as Comcast

Right now loathing of Time Warner and love of Epix is one of the few things keeping me from switching. I have the choice of U-verse, Direct TV( file that in the they care less about HD channels than Dish), and TWC. U-verse looks too awful and has that lame two stream despite having the most HD channels of any provider. They also don't carry AMC/We in HD which is what I really want from Dish.

TWC in Austin ain't cost competitive with Dish. I subscribe to premiums and don't care about baseball, so Direct is a no go. However, it doesn't surprise me that Dish isn't as cost competitive, as they used to be.

Here is my Dish Bill.

Here Comcast is $175 for TV/Phone/Internet with equipment No DVR's in that price. I just don't want to leave the Dish 722's. Comcast still uses the Motorola crap here :rant:. and I don't have the dough for Tivos or Moxi's. I currently have Comcast For Phone and Internet.

Attachments

• dn bill.JPG
    dn bill.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 163
Here is my Dish Bill.

Here Comcast is $175 for TV/Phone/Internet with equipment No DVR's in that price. I just don't want to leave the Dish 722's. Comcast still uses the Motorola crap here :rant:. and I don't have the dough for Tivos or Moxi's. I currently have Comcast For Phone and Internet.

Why are you getting charged for the HD Duo Receiver? Is that the only receiver you have in your account? The first receiver is free.

My Comcast bill (in Cherry Hill, NJ) area is:

HD Preferred Triple Play = $129.95
DVR Receiver (1st TV) = $10.00
Digital Receiver (2nd TV) = $9.25
Rental / UCC Fee = $6.11
Taxes, Surchages and Fees = $9.01
Total = $165.00

I am thinking of switching to Dish or Direct because we don't have World of More or other HD updates at the moment. We will have to wait till probably next year. If I remove my cable service and keep internet + phone alone, I will be paying close to $80.00 with Comcast. And then if i get Dish with American Top 250 (with I HD DVR and standard receiver), the costs will approximately be the same.

So, in all, it is better to get Dish/Direct if you don't have Comcast HD channels at the moment, and keep Comcast internet and phone.

cheers, PS

Every year or so I get the itch to see if there is any reason to switch away from Dish to DirecTV or Comcast. Usually the Comcast comparison ends when I find that a comparable package costs $20 or $30 more than Dish.

Funny thing is, this time when comparing a large HD package (no premiums) and enough receivers for my FR / 2 BRs / kitchen / basement (2 of these DVRS) Dish and Comcast come out to within $1.50 of each other. Now I still prefer Dish DVRs, but with the increased lease fees / DVR activation fees / service plan fees etc. Dish is no longer the deal they once were, no matter what their marketing team says. As a result I am now considering Comcast seriously for the first time in about 10 years.

(Note that I used the standard, non-promotional price for Comcast.)

Have others found this to be true as well?

P.S. - Dish has better DVRs and a few more HD choices than Comcast. But Comcast has all local HD feeds including PBS, carries Comcast-Philly that is not on Dish, and doesn't try to charge me $$$ to fix / replace leased equipment or charge a separate service plan fee. And to be honest I probably don't have to worry about Comcast dropping channels due to yet-another-contract-dispute that happens far too frequently with Dish.

Well I paid a 100 bucks for a HD TIVO from a member here, it has service till september.

at which tme i will buy lifetime.

its well worth it in many ways I like the tivo better than the 722. plus i own whats n the hard drive.

I was paying about 120 bucks for E before the fee gouge, I had AEP to avoid the DVR fee......

well for the same 120 bucks I get TV:) 15 meg down internet and phone. everything but the movie channels, which i didnt care about anyway.

THANKS CHARLIE! You got me shopping and saving big bucks:)

.....its well worth it in many ways I like the tivo better than the 722. plus i own whats n the hard drive.....

No, you don't "own" whats on the hard drive. You are licensed to use it in certain restricted ways. If you "owned" it you could charge admission to watch it, and even sell it.

Well I paid a 100 bucks for a HD TIVO from a member here, it has service till september.

at which tme i will buy lifetime.

its well worth it in many ways I like the tivo better than the 722. plus i own whats n the hard drive.

I was paying about 120 bucks for E before the fee gouge, I had AEP to avoid the DVR fee......

well for the same 120 bucks I get TV:) 15 meg down internet and phone. everything but the movie channels, which i didnt care about anyway.

THANKS CHARLIE! You got me shopping and saving big bucks:)

That sounds like the same type of deal I had with cablevision. It went throuh the roof after the year promo was up. They said when I got it, that it would only go up about $10 per month, but if I remember right, it was almost $40. :eek:
I went with Dish, and got my phone from Phone Power, (pretty good bye the way), and have cablevision internet (only $5 extra per month without T.V.)

Dish=$85
Phone=$15
Internet=$50 (pretty sure 20/5)

$150 per month, not bad, but dish was only $65 1.5 yrs ago. I only have the 200 pack silver HD with dish, and one 722, and a 222k. I guess I could save $10 per month if I sign up for auto pay on the free HD for life, but I hate the idea of another 2 year contract.

I recently checked the comcast website in our area (Michigan) and was surprised by the HD offerings, they have as much HD as Direct and Dish, they must have recently had a big jump in our area, though where you get hit is the fees, multiple DVR's and recivers add up big time!!

Though they are getting agressive in there promo's two year commitments include a IPOD touch now

They may be increasing the hd content but I advise everyone to check it out before switching.

Around here the hd channels are highly compressed and look very bad. However in other areas they might look good if not better then satellite delivered hd.

They may be increasing the hd content but I advise everyone to check it out before switching.

Around here the hd channels are highly compressed and look very bad. However in other areas they might look good if not better then satellite delivered hd.

That's exactly what I was pointing out, if your local Comcast has a ton of HD, (as mine has) BEWARE....the compression is horrible, makes some Channels difficult to watch.

Not cheaper at all

Current Dish:
AT250, Locals, Plat HD, HBO, 722, 510 = $105

Nearest comparable Comcast:
Preferred Plus, HD-DVR, SD-DVR, Additional Outlet = $140

Comcast would include Stars but does not appear to have Encore

Sure I have a couple of beefs with Dish, but after the limited time promo pricing, cable costs much more here and their equipment just doesn't compare at all.

Not cheaper at all

Current Dish:

Sure I have a couple of beefs with Dish, but after the limited time promo pricing, cable costs much more here and their equipment just doesn't compare at all.

Great point! After being with Comcast for almost 2 years it's been like heaven with this 722 DVR! Can't believe how well it just works! The Comcast DVR's (at least the motorola's) were very Buggy, and just weren't well thought out in terms of functionality. The equipment alone is reason enough to stay far far away.

Next up...a la carte so we can free ourselves from the programmers shoveling you-know-what down our throats that we don't want nor need. As much as I enjoy FiOS, I am only a stones throw away from OTA only.

After scoring an HDTV for Black Friday last year, I've got to say, I've been really impressed with the one-time OTA HD fee! :D

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Aspen-Dtv2Buhf-Directv-Antenna/dp/B000GIT002/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1280364942&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: Eagle Aspen Dtv2Buhf Directv 2-Bay Uhf Antenna: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41S9NJs-BgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41S9NJs-BgL[/ame]

Reading this thread, I guess I'm still in the Dish sweet spot -- would like the channels, but only for one TV. SD is fine, and no locals are fine (OTA gives me them in HD already with the antenna, above). For SD, one TV, no locals, no HD, and no DVR, Dish seems to still be the winner, right?

Wish they had AMC in a lower tier, though. I like me some Mad Men. ;)

Last edited:
Not cheaper at all

Current Dish:

Encore channels come in the Preferred tier, they don't sell them as a Premium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts