Switch from owning the box to renting it?

Carbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Has anyone switched from the original $750 or $400. to the $0 down and renting the box?

Also is the $300 credit only for the people that paid the original $750? Or is it for the people that paid $400. also?

If you don't mind asking, why would you do that? Is it to take advantage of the fact that early adopters still have the MBG?

I paid $750, I also will call at the end of month to switch to Lease. I can't see paying $750 for a receiver that sucks. I will lose the $300 credit.

madpoet said:
If you don't mind asking, why would you do that? Is it to take advantage of the fact that early adopters still have the MBG?

Why pay $449 for a box that is not at a standard level? I rather lease it and stay with it for a year. If the PVR comes out in the summer I will buy and switch to it.

Yup

Sean Mota said:
Why pay $449 for a box that is not at a standard level? I rather lease it and stay with it for a year. If the PVR comes out in the summer I will buy and switch to it.

Yup, My sentiments exactly. I am waiting for the HD PVR :yes before commiting to anything.

Bill

Here is my take on this:

If I get the $500 rebate (for the HDTV purchase) before the end of April, I will keep the STB. For $250 it is well worth it.

I am not concerned about the quality. The purchase includes a 2-year service plan, so I should be able to get a more stable unit if it becomes available.

My initial purchase includes one extra Plus Pack, and since I am not planning on Va Va Voom, this will be saving me money on HBO.

And when the PVR is released (though, I am not very optimistic about seeing it soon), I will buy it too and keep the STB as a network client.

On the other hand, if I don't get that rebate, I am not so sure about keeping the STB. I might consider the lease option.

miked said:
Has anyone done the switch yet? I am considering it.
I switched yesterday-switch will take effect on 04/01 so I get all my free prog. as a charter member before becoming a lease cust.-pretty easy to switch, although I did have to call a couple of times to push the change through-was told will be credited my 810.00 for equipment shortly and that since I was now a lease cust. I would have to leave a credit card # for monthly bill-no more paper statements with a lease.

They can use those receivers over and over for when a customer cancels service they can reuse the receiver on another customer that takes the lease.

Stargazer said:
They can use those receivers over and over for when a customer cancels service they can reuse the receiver on another customer that takes the lease.
As far as I know-I don't need to turn in any equipment when switchng to lease-just a switch made in the Voom Billing System is all that is done with a switching customer.

I just changed over. It was easy and quick. My refund should be in 7-10 days. They inform you of the billing on your credit card and they have you select what type of service you want.

So If you become a leasee they will not accept paper billing? Only credit card payments?

Also my reasoning on switching is that even though you purchase the box, they don't really treat it that way. Some early adopters with old boxes and no problems were called and told that their boxes would be exchanged for newer ones. I don't beleive they were allowed to say "No thanks" and if they own it then no one has a right to exchange it on them if they don't want to.(not they wouldn't) But the way Voom is run right now even though you purchase the box they can do what ever they want.

I wonder in about 6 months if I decided to cancel Voom and sell it. So someone decides they want to buy it so they can install it themselves, if Voom will allow them activate service with my old stuff seeing as it was never installed by them. I don't believe they will allow it.

miked said:
I just changed over. It was easy and quick. My refund should be in 7-10 days. They inform you of the billing on your credit card and they have you select what type of service you want.

One guy posted over on the avsforums that it had been 30 days and still no refund from VOOM. I don't know though if he had an uninstall done or did a switch to the lease.

Rick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)